Sign in to follow this  
scott12180

Remove tree sap from lacquer paint

I discovered that I must have parked under a messy tree a couple of months ago. My paint is hazed with billions of tiny misty droplets that I can't get off. 

Many suggestions for removing baked on treesap from a lacquer painted car?

Hi Scott, the safest--and easiest--product I've found in SeaFoam's "Bugs-B-Gone," whose label says it is biodegradable and contains no petroleum distillates.  Don't know where I found it--used the last of a bottle on my '30 roadster last week--but can tell you that my local O'Reilly's does NOT carry it.  I also used it with confidence and success on the leather upholstery because the top had been down while under the tree.

BTW, should get your copies in mail Saturday or Monday.

I use naptha. Get it at hardware or Home Depot. Mineral spirits is okay too but naptha dries a lot quicker and doesn't leave the smell on hands.

Tree sap is water soluble. Did you try warm water and a sponge ?   If it's been on long enough to mark the paint you may need to use a light going over with polishing  compound.  

Paul

oh oh.... yes all of the above work but the car probably also needs claying with a lite aggressive bar on a warm surface not in the sun!!!.  I would be careful of true "compound products" on lacquer  so start least aggressive.

Robert 

I had a lot of sap from our last show also.

Ended up clay barring the whole car with Maguire's spray shine, in the garage, after she cooled down.

Took all the sap drops off her, and now she is really smooth.

Mike in Colorado