Atlas Wax

dlh61olds

"Atlas" was the house brand of TBA (Tires, Batteries & Accessories) for Standard Oil / Chevron in the western states during the 1950s and 1960s at least, during the long-departed and sorely-missed era of (full) service stations, which actually performed lube and oil change services, tuneups, and tire and brake work.  the Atlas products, including spark plugs and fan belts, were produced by major supplier companies of these commodities, but were branded as "Atlas."

The red-white-blue color of the can looks very much like the Chevron-Atlas colors.

Those graphics are definitely the ones of the products grimy mentioned. That is a normal container type for car wax of the period. It is car wax from a Chevron/Standard station. It has to be.

Pop the lid off. If the inside of the lid hasn't rusted and dropped flakes of rust into the wax, it is probably still usable. Maybe do it upside down or on its side, in the interest of not knocking anything loose.

Edited by Bloo
.. (see edit history)

Ah yes, Atlas Plycron, two larger gaps in the tread and lots of smaller ones, very distinctive pattern. I ran many back in the 70s.

1969 Ad, Atlas Tires, Plycron 2 Plus 2 (2-page advert)

Here in VA, Atlas was sold in both Esso (Exxon) and Amoco stations. Very common auto products. I still have Atlas air filters on the shelf that fit something I own, probably Corvairs.

2 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Ah yes, Atlas Plycron, two larger gaps in the tread and lots of smaller ones, very distinctive pattern. I ran many back in the 70s.

1969 Ad, Atlas Tires, Plycron 2 Plus 2 (2-page advert)

Here in VA, Atlas was sold in both Esso (Exxon) and Amoco stations. Very common auto products. I still have Atlas air filters on the shelf that fit something I own, probably Corvairs.

That is what I remember Atlas products were sold in Esso Stations in the greater NYC area

• 1 year later...

Yes. My dad had an Amoco full-service service station for almost 50 years. We had quite a few cans of this wax that we used, that worked very well! Amoco had so many products that were top notch at that time! (late 50's - mid 70's). My dad closed up in late 2006. The very best of times :))