Newbie Starting my 1st project 51 Buick Special

Guest buick51special

Guest buick51special

Well I must say this is my first ever car project and not sure exactly where to begin. This car runs well, and gas tank has been cleaned and it has a new gas pump. Other that that it needs interior and exterior work. All pans, trunk, seems to be without rust. just some surface rust and one small spot that will be need of some welding. I did drive it some so I know it runs clean. Not sure where to start, guess I should start with the surface rust areas. The interior will be redone not sure yet what to do with the floor, just rubber or carpet. Then painting it medium Blue with Black below side chrome and top. Not sure yet what to do with the chrome. Most is in good shape, some of the ornamental items are pitting. Throwing in some pictures and Ideas always welcome. I am not a car mechanic but I am a mechanical person.

08.jpg

07.jpg

eng.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

If you are not going for a full restoration........do the safety and normal maintenance items first.

* Check the wiring and operation of the lights.

* Brakes.....flush the lines, check the shoes, look for leaking cylinders, .....you might want to automatically upgrade with new shoes, the old ones are probably filled with asbestos, might be soaked with brake fluid etc.

* change the fuel filter.

* service the transmission, new filter and fluid

* check the cooling system, you might want to drain and start with fresh distilled water and antifreeze, check the hoses, including the heater hose

* check the steering for slop, adjust steering box as needed, top up the fluid.

* I think you car still has the lever shocks, check fluid level in them

* Looks like it has decent tires...if you did not install, check the date codes and drive accordingly.

As you do all the above, you will see other thing that you want to fix or upgrade, make a list as you find those things and work the list.

The most important place to start, in my opinion, is with your philosophy.  Here are some questions to help you get started:

What do you want in the old car?  Originality, or some modifications, or customization?

And then, to what degree of the above, since there are a few levels of the second 2, but only one level of the first.

How do you plan to use the vehicle?  Long over the road driving?  Or local events?

How much do you plan to use the car?  Everyday...or ...the occasional weekends?

Is your heart in this car?  Or is the first of many?

Do you think this car is an income generator, or are you concerned with break even status on your investment?

Are you the type who wants reliability over just good enough repairs?

These questions would help us to recommend where to start and what to address over time. But only you can provide these answers.

• Like 1

Guest buick51special

The car has been converted over to 12V.  I am looking to keep it mostly original, except the paint and interior. I am mostly going to use the car for local events and driving. Nothing professional as far as shows. Unless later I decide to get a muscle car no other projects in the future. This is my one project, I have always loved these body styles.

9 minutes ago, RivNut said:
18 minutes ago, dei said:

Friendly advice, put an inexpensive clear fuel filter under the hood so you can check the quality of the fuel coming from that tank. (Ask me how I know...)

Just not one that can be easily broken.

Yes, I was talking an inline plastic one not the Buick glass one.

IMG_1959.thumb.JPG.57977234adb166ac2938d0c516a7b343.JPG

Edited by dei
picture added (see edit history)

Buick 51, welcome to a great forum and a wonderful group of people!  I have a 52 Super, and yours looks like it has really survived well!  John D and dei have babysat me for several years (thank you!!!) so brakes and fuel filter makes perfect sense.  The best thread for your car is the one by Shadetree.......he took us through every step of his restoration, and his pictures helped me a hundred times over.  I would offer one opinion though (not advice....lol).   Maybe hold off on painting for a bit?  You and I both benefit right now that Patina is in.....which is fortunate because I ran out of restore money at the same time...lol.   I wet sanded mine several times, working to a higher grade until it was smooth, then wipe it down periodically with WD40.  It shines up great, and I like how it looks.  I asked these great mentors what to do...and the best advice made sense....you can always paint it, but you can only have it original one time.   Just a thought?  Again, welcome, and enjoy.....this is a hobby that probably never ends!

Dale in Kentucky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I’ve got a 51 special that I found in the back row of a used car lot in Pendleton Oregon. Had engine out,cracked block but has a beautiful body no rust original paint. I have a fresh rebuilt no mile 53/263 which I installed. Very nice redone interior in black/gray cloth/vinyl. Ready to fire as soon as I get a 6v battery. Have about 3300 in it now.

D9021D69-9CE9-439A-A3B0-918A56EADD66.jpeg

4F45B77F-AC36-4BF7-B7FA-33D7DE5FC9D8.jpeg

• Like 1