MCHinson

1938 Buick Century Model 61 - Four Door Touring Sedan - Trunk Back

Matt;

You are doing a great job with the interior.  I'm happy you got instructions.  LeBaron sent me boxes of loose fabrics, headliner rolled up in the corner of the box, no instructions at all.  My first challenge was to try to figure out the order of operations in some sort of logical sequence.  Maybe you should keep those instructions.  Someone may need them someday.

Keep up the great work!  It's so fun to see it all again!

7 minutes ago, Gary W said:

Matt;

You are doing a great job with the interior.  I'm happy you got instructions.  LeBaron sent me boxes of loose fabrics, headliner rolled up in the corner of the box, no instructions at all.  My first challenge was to try to figure out the order of operations in some sort of logical sequence.  Maybe you should keep those instructions.  Someone may need them someday.

Keep up the great work!  It's so fun to see it all again!

I do plan to keep the instructions. I figure I will scan them to be able to furnish them to anybody who wants a copy. I know what you mean about the boxes of loose fabrics, etc. There were a few mostly illegible marks on the back of some of the fabrics but I really had to work to figure out what some things were. I have a few small pieces that I still don't know where they go. The I hope I figure out what they are in the near future, since I am running out of places to put interior stuff. I still have not done anything with the "coach flap" on the windshield pillars since I need to find the short metal pieces that they attach to and I am still trying to figure out the best way to do them since they appear to be about twice as long as they are supposed to be. I am thinking I am going to have to rip some stitching where they are attached to the windlace and and cut out the excess fabric - a job that I have been putting off as long as possible. 

Matt:

Is this the "coach flap" piece you are referencing?  My car had a thin metal backer under the fabric that I'm sure if you just find the holes in the body you can make a metal strip to support the fabric.

I called it a "front pillar windlace retainer", but I have a photo of the metal strip in the series.

Gary, 

I should have the metal pieces, I just need to find them. The problem is the fabric flap is probably twice as tall as it should be. It goes from the bottom of the windshield to beyond the top of the windshield. . 

Today, I continued working on the seats. First I recovered the rear seat cushion. I then installed it. I already knew that I was going to have to do some more work on the rear seat side arm rest assemblies. They really are a tight fit with the rear seat cushion in place. I will deal with them later. 

Next, I stripped the cover off of the front seat frame assembly. The upholstery, springs and rest of the assembly were in surprisingly good condition. (The reason for this is that these seats did not come out of the Model 61 that sat outside for two plus decades. These seats actually came out the Model 67 that I purchased and resold to Dave Tacheny. That car is also the donor of the better condition running boards that I will be working on again soon.)  I reused most of the original upholstery materials. I was able to add a layer of new padding and install the cover. The front seat back and side cloth cover is applied with a combination of tacks and spray glue. The front seat back also has a carpeted foot rest that is installed wtih some tacks and some spray glue. Tomorrow, I will finish the front seat frame assembly. I still need to cut the excess fabric on the top side of the seat back covering and install the wireon that will hide the tacks along the back top edge of the seat. I will also need to install the robe rail later. I will need to find some suitable fabric to recover the robe rail before I reinstall it. I think that the excess fabric that I need to cut off of the seat back tomorrow might work for that. Apparently the McInerney Spring and Wire Company is the subcontractor who built this seat frame assembly. I photographed the original McInerney Part Number 98098 tag and left it in place.   

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_0124.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Today, I finished the front seat back. I then moved to the front seat cushion. The front seat cushion had been recovered with some thick cloth by the previous owner of the Model 67 that the seat came out of. I was expecting this one to be a bit easier but I was wrong. Apparently, when he recovered it, he just ripped off the old side fabric and installed some foam and the heavy fabric cover. He also neglected to clean all of the mouse nesting materials out of the burlap covered springs. I found almost all of the springs to be full of mouse nesting materials. I used a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool to remove as much of the materials as I could. I used a high powered handheld LED light to shine through all of the burlap covered springs to be sure that all of the mouse nesting materials were gone. By holding the light beside each spring, I could look from the other side of each spring to visually see if the light was blocked by any debris. Several times I thought I had removed it all to discover yet another pile to vacuum out.  I then picked the spring assembly up and dropped it from a couple of feet over the table repeatedly to dislodge all of the small debris that was left in the spring assembly. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally reached the point that I could bounce the springs up and down without any other debris ending up on the table. I then redid the upholstery and installed the front seat assembly. I still have to cover and install the seat valance panels and see if I need to tweak anything else on the seats but I am happy to have the seats essentially finished.  

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

• Like 4

That is the seat adjustment mechanism. You lift the chrome handle and then you can slide the seat forward or back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

That is the seat adjustment mechanism. You lift the chrome handle and then you can slide the seat forward or back.

Neat!  You might already know, but my 1939 just has a regular lever hidden on the bottom front.  I like yours better.

• Like 1