1956century

1956 Century - rough ride

I hear that registration will go up by $65.  I don't even put $65 a year in gasoline in three of my vehicles.  I used to live in Danville now Mariposa County.

Took a ride to Mike's Muffler in Merced for new tail pipes and on the way home opened her up to 100 mph.  She lives up to her name!

• Like 1

Curious about what your new tail pipes look like. Getting off topic, but care to share? 

They are dual exhaust 1 3/4 inches in diameter, same as the stock factory. They look good.   I have the rectangular exhaust tips which extend out at the ends of the bumper and they are in perfect condition.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 12:04 AM, Airy Cat said:

I run WW Radial tires on my Buicks.  225 x 75R - 15.  Corners good, good traction, I couldn't be happier.

Second that.  After procrastinating and running L78-15 Coker bias plys for the past 30 years put a set of 225 75 R15 Diamondback II on this summer (the Toyo brand).  Was a big expense but made this Buick a whole different car.

Stopped all the harshness over bumps, potholes, patches and expansion joints.  No more wander following road crown or unsteadiness on grooved pavement.  The wheel stays straight at highway speeds - you can hold it with 2 fingers and it will track straight down the highway.  Much more positive control in single lane, narrow construction zones.  Very very quiet road tire.  Less exercise to drive but well worth the investment.

I have 3 collector cars and my California annual registration is going to increase $65. each. I don't even put $65 worth of gasoline in them in one year!

• Sad 1

In the middle '50s, everybody was more focused on that "smoooooth ride" and the larger air capacity "balloon" tires seemed to work pretty good at 24psi, it seems.  Most of those tires didn't last past about 20K miles, usually.  But with people usually not driving more than 11K miles/year, a two year replacement cycle.  The narrow treads were known to wear the outer tread ribs first, too . . . "cornering wear", even with low speed turns.

We had a '61 BelAir in the earlier '60s.  Dad would take me to school and make a U-turn to drop me off.  That outer tread rib on the rh  frt tire was the first to go on the new BFG Silvertowns we had back then.  The other outer ribs took longer.

24psi cold inflation pressure was what everybody usually ran back then.  More psi meant a rougher ride, not desired.  If you were carrying a load, the sidewalls would bulge, so that was visible sign that more air was needed.

In later years, tire technology took out more of the impact harshness and allowed the base suspension to be firmed up for better higher speed handling.  In many cases, making the older suspension designs work better, as long as the rubber bushings and such were in good condition.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

On August 28, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Grimy said:

I live in The Pipples' Republik too.  When I drove my 1947 Desoto Suburban to Ft Benning GA in 1966, our Calif roads were the best in the country, and roads worsened the farther east I got.  Today our Calif fuel and car taxes have been raided for social programs and to subsidize commuter ferries,

But wait!  Effective Nov 1 the gasoline tax increases by 12 cents per gallon, diesel by 20, and registration by about $38.  As it is, the cheapest registration now, pre-increase, is $103 per year. CalTrans is already hiring.

… Actually you can thank the libertarian Jarvis Property Tax bill for doing away with the then well established progressive property tax system in California starting in 1979 that had been a staple mark since the 40's thereby among a slew of other destructive things effectively froze property taxes …. with that said … so what does everyone think is the source that pays for roads, bridges and schools  … ?  

2 hours ago, buick man said:

… Actually you can thank the libertarian Jarvis Property Tax bill for doing away with the then well established progressive property tax system in California starting in 1979 that had been a staple mark since the 40's thereby among a slew of other destructive things effectively froze property taxes …. with that said … so what does everyone think is the source that pays for roads, bridges and schools  … ?  

We're on different sides of that issue.  I bought a house in 1974 for $53,500 and the taxes were $975. Next year $1,250, then $1,600, then $2,100 and had Prop 13 not passed, taxes would have been $2,800. My parents and uncle and aunt would have had to sell their homes.  No one was painting or roofing or remodeling; neighborhoods were looking shabby.  It all went for social programs.  For 4 years after passage, streets were full of tradesmen's trucks performing long-deferred maintenance and improvements.

…. well George all I can state are the facts … a democratic commons is financed by the people for the people … and yes the commons as defined means society or social … kinda hard to run an equal democracy without including everyone … or by excluding the same … I have lived as a working adult in Ca since 1972 and was in the trades as well as real estate during that time and beyond and yes I have seen the difference things have become and why … but then again this is a car club so I will get off my soap box and get back onto my car lift …. ha :lol:   …. peace   - uncle dave

Living in the mountains of Mariposa County the politics is mostly conservative. We like it that way. Support the State of Jefferson!

On 8/28/2017 at 10:48 AM, 1956century said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I will look into a new set of radials.

Did you get your new tires yet? 

Property taxes typically are determined by property "appraised" value.  Once developers discover "undervalued" areas and move in, property transaction prices increase and valuations increase for everybody, usually.  In east Austin, TX, many people who are now on Social Security and widowed are seeing their valuations increase such that it's either "taxes or food/prescription drugs".  A situation which has cycles and repeats in other areas, by observation.  Those people in E Austin have been in the same houses since their kids were born, but the land value increases are the real issue.  Progress?

When Federal money decreases, then it's on "the State" to make up the difference.  When the State money decreases, then it "trickles down" to the local citizenry's lap.  Remember this the next time a federal candidate/rep talks about "decreasing taxes".  If THEY don't get tax money, the locals will end up paying with increased taxes. f Doesn't matter if it's to pay for expanded fire/police coverage,  expanded/new roads, schools, or paying for social programs that help decrease larger costs in later years for those involved/targeted.  KEY thing is having people make decisions of how money's spent who KNOW what it takes to get something done and don't "kick the can down the road" to "somebody who knows what they're doing" (contractor/vendor/sub-contractor) who have little oversight for what they do.  "Effective spending" should be the orientation rather than just "conservatism".  These are my observations.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

On 4/25/2018 at 11:41 AM, wndsofchng06 said:

Did you get your new tires yet? 

Not yet unfortunately - it's parked for now.

• Sad 1