Thought I knew what this was for but can't find info

Lukeb821

After about 2 weeks of research I'm almost clueless. This is a 1904 "Triumph" Boston Auto Gage co USA Pat November 22 04 float arm gage. I was told it was for a Pierce great arrow, well after endless amounts of research I found out it's not for a pierce. I can not find any info as to what this exact gage was used on any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20170812_122930473.jpg

An in-the-tank gasoline gauge (read at the tank) used on a number of different cars through approximately 1928, after which most gasoline gauges were placed on the instrument panel.  Don't be deceived by the early patent date.

6 minutes ago, lump said:

Since the British motorcycle company started making Triumph automobiles in 1921, is there no way this gauge could be for an early Triumph vehicle? 

It was a brand separate from the Triumph vehicle company. which is not to say that Triumph vehicles did not use them.

6 minutes ago, Lukeb821 said:

1 inch

Pretty small for most automobiles.

BTW, a Pierce-Arrow restorer in FL has had made up complete and very nice in-tank gas gauge reproductions for Series 80 and 81 vehicles (1925-28), and sells them in the $900 range.

• Like 1

No relationship to the British cars or motorcycles.  99.9% sure it's a generic application aftermarket item that could have bee used in a wide range of vehicles.  Most likely it was a replacement item or intended for use in vehicles that never came originally equipped with one.  I have a number of different similar items made for Model T Fords for example.  Interesting that the old dipstick method of checking your gas was still in use quite late.  That's how we check the fuel level in our MGTC

If you do find that it fits a specific vehicle let us know.

Thanks.

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...