battery overcharging

rofly1

11 hours ago, rofly1 said:

I just got a code 46 battery overcharging and the battery guage is maxed.  Is there a voltage regulator?  I have an 89 dohc.  I can use some ideas Thanks Roger

Voltage regulator is in the engine controller, SMEC.  

1 hour ago, rofly1 said:

I checked through the service manual and there is little information.  Would the whole unit need to be replaced or can the voltage regulator be replaced?  Thanks 

If indeeds the voltage regulator in the SMEC is defective, the entire SMEC must be replaced.

Having said that, have you checked the alternator and the field wires to the alternator?

IF the (-) NEGATIVE, (grounding) field control wire R3-18DG would be grounded in some fashion, ( this could be anywhere between the alternator and the engine controller, ao check carefully) the alternator would put out max amperage/voltage. So check the alternator output with this wire (R3-18DG) disconnected from the alternator. There should be no charging whatsoever from the alternator. If there is, the alternator is likely defective.

The (+) Field wire is J2-14DB, it provides battery voltage to the field circuit directly from the battery when the ignition is on.

If you do find the voltage regulator has gone bad in the SMEC, there is the option of installing an external regulator, however, it requires cutting/splicing of the harness and some people have reported that the CEL and a code get tripped (I think a good adjustable one eliminated that).