1953 Buick Skylark Power Brakes

406mac

Welcome to the world of the most troublesome and misunderstood part on a 1953 Buick: Buick's first-year optional power brake system. My definition of 'misunderstood' includes the lack of knowledge of how the power brake cylinder works along with the why and what parts in the PBC caused all the problems.

More info would be helpful. (1) Do you have an inline electric vacuum pump that Buick introduced late in the 1953 production run and added by some owners with earlier-1953 powered-brake Buick models? (2) Are you planning on reusing it? (3) If so, where is it located? (4) If not, are you planning on adding one? (5) I'm assuming you have the OE PBC, vacuum check valve,  and a 1953 Buick Shop Manual. Correct? 

I've never seen a Buick document or someone else's drawing showing the vacuum line routing layout for a power brake-equipped 1953-1954 Buick with or without the EVP.  It wouldn't take much to come up with a drawing if I have more info on your Skylark and answers to my other questions that I asked about awhile ago. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Al.....yes the car has the EVP in place...but it is not functioning......the car has been stored for 30+ years....I was going to bypass the vacuum pump for now and run vacuum line all the way to the power brake unit...(.it is the later Delco 5454614 part).... to see if I can get the unit to function....I'm assuming that is the vacuum check valve at the nose of the power brake unit?.....I have a Motors Manual...not much help....there are 2 tubes facing forward (air intakes to release the vacuum?) these are the ones I was wondering about.....I'll send some pictures...Thanks for your help....I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I can usually figure thing out....this one has me stumped.....After the long slumber, I added some Marvel Mystery Oil and the 322 runs quietly and idles great.....added tranny fluid and it moved under its' own power...all I need is brakes...sigh.....thanks Mac 

My unit is a little different..... I was wrong, I don't have the EVP....my lines go directly to the unit....someone worked on this in past .....see the T fitting that is blocked off on one side? Also the curved tube on the top of the unit......any idea how these should be connected?.....were the people who designed this ever punished? Thanks for any help,   Mac

treadle vac 019.JPG

treadle vac 020.JPG

treadle vac 021.JPG

treadle vac 022.JPG

treadle vac 023.JPG

treadle vac 024.JPG

treadle vac 025.JPG

treadle vac 026.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, 406mac said:

......the car has been stored for 30+ years....I was going to bypass the vacuum pump for now and run vacuum line all the way to the power brake unit...(.it is the later Delco 5454614 part).... to see if I can get the unit to function....I'm assuming that is the vacuum check valve at the nose of the power brake unit?..... 

Just a few opinions.....

♦  Judging by your pictures, I seriously doubt that you would be able to get your power brake cylinder (PBC) to function after sitting for that long without spending some major dollars. Your PBC most likely was the reason in the first place why 'the Lark was parked' due to not being able to troubleshoot the problem or find someone in the know. Not unusual. I've heard similar stories, know of another two presently sitting, and even read about one owner selling the car (on this Forum...name withheld) because they lacked the knowledge and didn't want to spend the dollars. Possibilities of dried-up rubber cups, seals, O-rings, leather cup, wick, and/or a pitted hydraulic piston could be some or all of the parts requiring attention.

♦  I agree that you do not have the original 1953 Buick Kelsey-Hayes PBC. According to one of your pictures, it appears that your 1953 Lark went into the shop for the brake recall announced in early-1954 whereby Buick replaced 1953 PBCs with the "improved" 1954 Moraine PBC in some cases; some others were rebuilt with newer parts. I say that because the PBCs required different frame support member cutouts and yours was modified.

1-1954.jpg.ff67d6c3e465fe232bc7f4a20c6e0233.jpg

♦  The check valve in one of your other pictures is most likely the original 1953 check valve mounted in its original location.

♦  1953-1954 PBCs were of the vacuum suspended type. Your Lark most likely never had the late-1953 or 1954 electric vacuum pump (EVP) if the original check valve was retained. The EVP didn't require the OE check valve.

♦  If your Lark wasn't serviced under the recall, the original PBC could have been swapped out later with what your pictures now show and should be referred to (not to confuse PBC repair shops) as a 1955 Morvac PBC assembly that was made by Moraine. The Delco 5454614 part you mentioned is actually just the hydraulic cylinder for the Moraine-built PBC assembly. Delco-Moraine didn't merge until the late-1960s and were different divisions making different components during the 1950s.

♦  1955-1956 PBCs were of the air suspended type. The 1955 PBC was the last year for the under-floor frame-mounted PBC and it utilized a vacuum reserve tank (VRT) in lieu of an EVP. Do you have one?  

♦  If you decide to use this 1955 PBC, spend some dollars on a 1955 Buick Shop Manual along with the appropriate 1955 Buick Service Bulletins. There are new 1953, 1954, and 1955 replacement units made to fit in their original location (frame-mounted under the driver's seat, NOT firewall-mounted) on the market that are improvements to 65-year old engineering ideas that might be well-worth considering and spending $600 on. They advertise that the parts for the replacement units are readily available at your FLAPS rather than hunting down for who knows what parts you have and what parts you may be missing. There are also vendors advertising rebuilding your PBC for half that price. I would check out their experience and track record though. My vote would be to purchase a new replacement PBC.

The vacuum supply line from the engine's intake manifold runs to the PBC where your picture shows a bolt plugging the forward connection on the T-fitting. The check valve should be inline just prior to this forward T-pipe connection. The rear of the T-connector should have a metal vacuum line that runs to your VRT. The curved pipe on the air cleaner cover and core on the opposite side of your PBC is for the atmospheric air supply to the air chamber.  

I would not be too concerned about maintaining originality. A high percentage of today's judges are not informed let alone the "down on one-knee chassis judging" being the biggest joke in the current Judging Manual.  Buick had numerous problems with the 1953-1956 PBCs: several recalls (campaigns), changes made during the four production runs, and four different designs. The 1955/1956 PBCs finally had an improvement that was supposed to prevent brake fluid from being sucked out of the hydraulic brake cylinder. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al...thanks for your thoughts on this....fortunately Hometown Buick has all of the shop Manuals on-line....which is how I determined this was  1955 Air Suspend unit with the T fitting....the strange thing is that the check valve is still at the master cylinder end of the unit on my car...... like a 1953 1954? If vacuum enters behind the diaphragm at the T fitting I don't think the check valve should be in that location and the illustrations do not show it...... anyway...I like your idea best...I'm going to look for a 1955 unit and install a check valve in the vacuum line and install an aftermarket vacuum tank....wndsofchng06        had a 1955 unit for sale on the AACA website...take a look at the pictures of that unit....it has some kind of a valve attached to the curved air intake on the top of the unit??

Take a look at the attached drawing I found on-line...it shows (I believe) a 1955 unit being installed in a 1953/54.......thanks for your help.....I think the brakes failed on this car many years ago and it scared the owner into parking it.....Stay in touch.........Mac.

buick master 001.JPG

• Like 2

That picture was part of a Buick Service Bulletin addressing an original noisy check valve (upper left corner) shown installed in early-1955 Buicks with power brakes and a 1955 PBC. Buick suggested discarding the spring and the valve...making it non-functional rather than removing it completely...and then installing the newer version check valve Part #5455046.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Al...can you tell me where the return spring on the brake pedal mechanism is supposed to connect?  Is there a notch on the frame?   Also...adjusting the long rod......after the push rod contacts the master cylinder mechanism how much play should there be between the two?   Thanks for your help...Mac 

led sled 005.JPG

• Like 1

You have a great looking survivor. 

The following pertains to the 1953 Kelsey-Hayes PBC unit. Can't say for sure if your 1955 Morvac PBC setup would be exactly the same. 

♦  You should be able to see a 1/4"-diameter hole on the top flange of the 1953 frame's X-member that the front of the brake pedal's return spring gets hooked into.

♦  According to a 1953 K-H Manual, when the engine is running and the brake pedal is in the unapplied position, the stop bolt on the brake pedal should be adjusted so that the height of the brake pedal is slightly higher than the accelerator and the rubber seal grommet on the backside of the pedal shaft is compressed to 1/2" in height. With this setup, Buick advertised.....the heel remains in position on the floor and the toe simply needs to swing over for almost instantaneous action.

♦  The 1953 Buick Shop Manual calls for not more than 1/16" clearance between the tip of the push rod and the PBC's internal rubber bumper when the brake pedal is in the fully released position. This clearance prevents the push rod from closing the vacuum valve and opening the air valve in the PBC.   

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Those brake units are really easy to rebuild, and will probably only run you $300 if you do it yourself. If you go that route, you just need the kit, leather cup and stainless piston. Dont listen to anyone that says it needs to be sleeved, either, because they will not know what they're talking about. If you upgrade, do not fall fIr the "dual reservoir is safer" sales pitch, that is also false. 

Al......OK....Todays' problem.....no fluid to the rear brakes.....I tried to loosen the rear brake line at the front brass fitting with the stoplight switch but no luck....it appears to be rubber mounted and it is hard to get any purchase on the retaining nut...it would seem that the fluid would be able to make its' way to the rear of the car?  I followed the sequence for bleeding the brakes.....am I missing something on the bleed sequence......Thanks again...Mac

"Park a car for 30 years and pay the price"

♦  A rubber-mounted four-port brake distributor fitting doesn't sound as an original 1953 item to me. You might have to destroy either the fastener/nut/brake line/brake-line fitting and go with a newer one if penetrating oil will not free it up. A picture would help.

♦  The big unknown that comes to mind if you can't get brake juice beyond the brass distributor fitting is congealed brake fluid in either the fittings or the brake lines running to the RR and LR wheels. You don't mention whether any brake lines were replaced since the Lark has been sitting idle for years. What did your wheel cylinders look like when you replaced them?

♦  I'd be interested in knowing what you're using for a brake fluid reservoir too. Thanks.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

• Like 1

Al...yes...the rear brake lines are plugged.....to the brake shop for replacement......I need to take a picture of the fitting...the main brake line feeds into the front...two lines angle forward for the front brakes...which are working...a single line goes to the rear and splits into 2 lines...the brake switch screws in to the top....

The brake fluid reservoir is the 53 Lark piece (I think)....under the hood between the steering column and the engine......thanks for your help.......

I appreciate this discussion 406mac!  I plan on converting my factory manual brakes to a factory power brake system on my 55 Century.  Please post as many pictures of the entire system.  I barely know anything about this system except what the components are that make it up.  Good luck to you.

To get a line broken loose at the brake switch and junction fitting, I have had luck setting a piece of metal under it to get it to take up the gap, then clamped it firmly to the frame with a C-clamp.  That got me enough hold to break the line loose.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

I appreciate this discussion 406mac!  I plan on converting my factory manual brakes to a factory power brake system on my 55 Century.  Please post as many pictures of the entire system.  I barely know anything about this system except what the components are that make it up.  Good luck to you.

The  pictures tompett posted in this thread show the system with the body off of the frame...I think it might be easier to go to a modern firewall mounted system?

27 minutes ago, 406mac said:

The  pictures tompett posted in this thread show the system with the body off of the frame...I think it might be easier to go to a modern firewall mounted system?

I don't disagree with that, but I want to keep my car mostly original.  I plan on doing an off the frame restoration.

• 2 years later...
On 10/8/2019 at 6:26 PM, 1953mack said:

First year for Buick's alligator-style opening hood. All ±487,000 1953 Buick Specials, Supers and Roadmasters used the same hood springs: Group 8.013, Part #1161630. They are not listed as Interchangeable with any other year or marque. Why re-invent the wheel?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Thank you for your answer and knowledge, also, is the E brake system on the 53 Skylark the same as all 53 Roadmasters? Kindly reply

Edited by Jimmy G (see edit history)

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, Jimmy G said:

. . . is the E brake system on the 53 Skylark the same as all 53 Roadmasters? . . .

♦  The parking brake lever assembly under the instrument panel is the same for all 1953 Buick Super 50-series and Roadmaster 70-series models. (edit: The Skylark is a Roadmaster 76X Model.) 

♦  The parking brake cable length is the same for all 1953 Buicks EXCEPT for the 4"-longer (125.5"-wheelbase) Super 52 and Roadmaster 72R four-door sedans.

♦  The rear brake cable length (from the right-rear wheel to the left-rear wheel) is the same for all 1953 Buick Super 50-series and Roadmaster 70-series models.

♦  There are numerous earlier 121.5"-long wheelbase Buicks that use the same parking brake lever assemblies and cables. 

Let me know if you need additional interchange year/model info.

1-Scan-002.thumb.jpg.71f78c40eb2f634de085e3e8f3d8bd00.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Al,

Thank you for the Ebrake lesson, your a genius.

Now I’m working on the infamous KH power brake system.

1. The vacuum is pulling 17 lbs

2 . Rebuilt the KH brake master booster sys.

(was bench tested)

3. Rebuilt all 4 wheel pistons

4. All installed, press on the brake petal and harder than a rock with no assist!!!

Help,

jimmyG