1927/28 series 128/129 Fast Four frame/chassis

RichBad

Hi,

Does anyone have some drawings/measurements and photos of a 1927/1928 Dodge Brothers Series 128/129 chassis/frame?

Mine has some front end damage which has been repaired (badly) and I'm trying to figure out how bad it is so I can determine how best to repair.

many thanks,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Started at the back and working my way forward - I think this car has had a few stacks in its life.

Rear end mostly sorted.  Now fixing up just behind the engine mounts.  Someone did a rubbish repair at some stage - have pulled of their patches and now need to clean up.

is this a weak point in the car?  It looks like  both chassis rails had cracked just behind the rear engine mount but from the top and not all the way down.  Will clean it up and see what it looks like.  Then on to the front end which is much worse:(

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bob, that's very helpful.  That's a lot of Dodge parts you have!

I can see what's going on with my chassis now.  The damage behind my rear engine mount looks almost identical. For the front end I think I may end up cutting off so I can repair it properly. 

Do do you have any books with some measurements listed?  I think when mine was repaired it wasn't aligned first resulting in the front end being higher than it should (may explain why my bonnet had huge gaps to the body at the bottom).

some useful ones would be:

Width between front spring mounts

Distance between front spring mounts (front to back)

Height from front engine mount to top of chassis rail at cross member)

Height between front engine mount and rear engine mount (or top of main chassis rail).

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to draw up my chassis and take some measurements.  Want to check front end and cross member drop heights from top of main chassis (seems to be flat from just in front of engine mounts to just behind rear cross member).  I used a box section to check on my chassis as shown in the photo.  All in mm (sorry:)).

1D927CB3-A4CD-4132-9F0F-F8E79F7CB4A1.thumb.jpeg.34694f3383e961113e762ba7559ed4b5.jpeg7E8AFCF3-FDB4-4294-9462-975858A423E5.thumb.jpeg.ff28afd4da4762e1bdeadcdd030c1fc2.jpeg

• Like 1

Ray I believe that in the good old days it was believed that bolts would come loose . Welding in the X members there would be no flex and this would lead to cracking  Mind you I don't envy the task that Rich is taking on I am just trying to help him with rivets to redo the assembly.

Thanks for that, Ron.  I would have thought the flexing would  occur along the length of the chassis side rails and cross member rather than at the joins which  would want to be as tight as you can get them - so that was why I would have probably have elected for plug welds rather than rivets or bolts which are both prone to work loose.  I am biased of course because my Dad was a professional welder and it's likely that is what he would have done.   You can't beat a nice gas weld but it takes years of experience to get it to that standard.  Having said that, I wouldn't have minded if someone had replaced the rivets in my front cross member with bolts - it would have been nice to remove it when getting the engine out ! 

Thanks Ron - it looks like 5/16 round head and some 3/8 flat head on the end mounts.

Ray - sticking with the rivets for originality (as I’m stubborn) also, the previous welding was a right mess!

Bob - thanks!  If the cross member is already cut in that chassis it could be possible to graft the front end?  That would still be a lot easier than what I’m trying to do to straighten my fronts.

currently to straighten my fronts I’m thinking (once I’ve managed to remove the existing plates and weld) I’ll cut out the bulk of the vertical section for most of the length and fit in a new piece in the gap (I can make two matching - one for each side). That would help reduce the number of pieces and hopefully help keep the strength.

Lots of work though - mainly cleaning out the existing mess!

I believe if a chassis was riveted then repaired and refitted cross members must be riveted back in, in this country. It is too risky that bolts would come undone. Rivets don't come undone. They can become loose, but there is very little chance of a catastrophic failure = coming out and the chassis falling apart.

Welds also are not as good as rivets, unless certified. I think that is the case for Low Volume Vehicles (e.g. specials, hotrods, reproductions, etc.) in this country. BTW, we are not allowed to weld drag links. I imagine there have been a few back yard jobs that have come apart in the past.

• Like 1

Bolts should not come loose. But there is clearance in the hole which will allow movement or you could not get the bolts in the hole. Rivets are heated and peened to swell them and take up all the clearance making for a tight fit. That is why skyscrapers were riveted not bolted. You are headed in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Richard had a chanch to day to get up and look at the frame on top , the front section is in bad shape, yours is better , some one has gone wild with the welder all over the front dumb irons . that said if you want any part of them let me know , will post pics sunday . will be away  tomorrow and back sunday . bob

• Thanks 1

A weekend with the grinder (whoever repaired it last liked weld). Have the cross member separated from the sides.  Cross member not too bad but needs some repairs to the mounts.

Have cut a repair piece for the sides, next step is to cut out the vertical section of the  sides to fit the new section (and clear out more weld).

988688C2-FBCF-4757-942F-FE6DCDA242E9.thumb.jpeg.3197660db44a15d8a3cf1c50d6f87d8b.jpeg

086EBBC4-1501-4C4B-8EAA-8867683BEC11.thumb.jpeg.1b363a5eb8b3d419add97c68670bd671.jpeg

E6EA94E6-E0E2-474C-B83E-F710E57BF4DB.thumb.jpeg.2d2a629646a6ad571a90ead16254633e.jpeg

00CEB5E3-37D4-4628-9137-B24ED12FF58D.thumb.jpeg.c267f0627fade88bda004687cff532b2.jpeg

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)

Had a couple of questions before I start putting the front end back together.

1. Is the chassis outer face a straight line from front to rear spring mount?

2. Should the chassis top edge be straight from the rear cross member to the steering box front mount holes?

3. Where the front chassis top edge starts to angle up (from just in front of steering box) is it a straight line to the front cross member?

thanks!

Another weekend with the grinder - we’ll and truly had enough of metal filings!   Pretty much cleaned out all the previous ‘repairs’ now.  Should be a lot lighter!

Front engine mounts also had some bad repairs so removed them from the cross member to fix up.  There was a lot of weld to cut out!

2D3DC360-E57E-4AFC-9D49-11F45F8A196C.thumb.jpeg.01684f9281f38eb471920959354f0b0b.jpeg

192AFDE3-127B-4B23-B88A-38C11E1A7B4D.thumb.jpeg.004737fef33a051d9a461280bf9f314c.jpeg

Rear engine mounts had also been caught up in previous weld repairs so removed them too.  The frame was bent up and inwards from just behind the rear mounts so have to straighten that too (assuming the rails should be straight along the length).

F42DC072-84A5-4FF1-AAC2-B32BA44BF14B.thumb.jpeg.fc0d3ab4e7a66614b03ad35fd8d75a48.jpeg

Ready so start fixing pieces back in place - need to get some dimensions first before I start welding - help!

043BF422-2B10-4984-8669-8C2539E29280.thumb.jpeg.0b3fc3e57e22d7bf2a0779c3b166ca49.jpeg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...