1954 Dodge Job-Rate J-series farm truck

Guest gsmonks

Guest gsmonks

I recently acquired a 1954 Job-Rated farm truck and a 1940 Chevrolet utility truck. The Chevrolet is behind a lot of junk at the moment.

DSC01645.thumb.JPG.bd47176610568f78bb32a8fa6d6bcb73.JPG two old trucks: a 1954 Job-Rated and a 1940 Chevrolet utility truck.

DSC01650.JPG

Guest gsmonks

The box of the old Dodge was unfortunately badly rotted, so I've removed it. Next comes disassembling and removing the cab and wheels, sandblasting the frame (walnut shell), removing a few dents, and permanently rustproofing everything.
The only thing I'm unable to locate is the original-colour Dodge automotive paint.
The identification plate states 17,000 lbs, and an original ad identifies this as a 5-ton.

DSC01647.thumb.JPG.0a28961470a6b187244dfe7eccb78035.JPG

1954 Dodge 5-ton truck ad.jpg

Guest gsmonks

These old trucks don't get the attention they deserve, in my estimation. Young enthusiasts tend to pass them over for pickups and cars, which they (*shudder*) transform into rat sticks, or whatever they're called.

Great truck, can't wait to see the resto of this one.

Guest gsmonks

Thanks. At the moment I'm sifting through conflicting information on how to deal with rust. There is a lot of support for the idea of rust conversion, but I always lean towards heavy industry for advice on metals, and their advice is unequivocally to use a powerful rust remover.

I'd still like to paint the frame over with something really tough, though. The reason I was tempted to use a rust converter is that the coating is very tough stuff. Using it on a clean metal surface seems pointless, so I'm looking into  alternatives.