Questions about an old car

Guest Duer

"GM would press hay and horse manure into bumpers if they thought it would sell."  Oh, wait! Now that I think of it. They'd get a green point for being biodegradable.

That quote is from automotive history. It was stated by an outspoken Dutch GM dealer at a corporate presentation on the new 1959 cars. The dealer stood up and voiced that opinion right after the speaker stated GM cars were built with the finest material available. (Stolen from Henry.)

My source was Phil Lanzatella, owner of Philanz Oldsmobile, Rochester, New York. They were sitting next to each other.

I guess by 1969 Sloan's relation building with the dealer network was beginning to wane.

Ta Da, that's antique car stuff.

Phil told me that story in 2005. When he finished he smiled and asked me if I had seen the bumpers on the new cars.

Bernie

I was using the term Gogomobile generically, and not specifically calling out the brand, which technically was a "Goggomobile"....I should have used a different term....the point being that discussing computer codes on an "antique car" forum either amuses or aggravates me, depending on my mood at the time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, I think we all knew you didn't REALLY mean Goggomobil. I did anyway. But who can resist an opportunity to talk about Goggomobils? The Australians even got a convertible version. Just look at this thing. It's even cuter than a Crosley Hotshot.

Goggo-Dart-33.jpg

Man, you're right, it just doesn't get any cuter than that on four wheels!  Funny how in that picture there's no way to gauge size, that could be a picture of a toy or a huge car, or anywhere in between, from the perspective!

I just looked at website, 71 inch wheelbase, it's, as they say, a microcar......

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

On 8/18/2017 at 10:41 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I remember reading that the Internal Revenue Service,

several years ago, issued new rules to counter inflated appraisals.

I believe that, now, the deduction is limited to the dollar amount

of what a charity sells the car for--not for an appraisal, which could

be dishonest.  More than that, I'll leave to the accountants---

That's if the vehicle is sold before the 2 or 3 year waiting period. After that it does not apply if the appraisal is within reason.

The original question was what the Duer might be worth.  The article above states the Duer has automatic intake valves, 2-cylinder 4" x 4" and a rope drive.  These influence the price as this is a rather large engine, but has automatic intake valves and a rope drive.  A very good looking car, but I would question its touring ability outside of parades.

Don

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, Bloo said:

Ok, I think we all knew you didn't REALLY mean Goggomobil. I did anyway. But who can resist an opportunity to talk about Goggomobils? The Australians even got a convertible version. Just look at this thing. It's even cuter than a Crosley Hotshot.

Goggo-Dart-33.jpg

Looks like a modern/ updated Amphicar.

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, mike6024 said:

post-155590-0-30039700-1449335416.jpg&ti

Here's a picture of another 1907 Duer taken from another AACA thread here, under pre-WWII Photos. It was probably taken in 1914 in Chicago but vehicle is 1907.

Just copied it here because I came across it and it's a nice photo, and the same make.

That's my great uncles Duer parked in front of his house in Chicago.  I'm in possession of the car today, here she sits in my garage.

IMG_1186.JPG

western ave 20012-001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2