1946 and 1947 Packard Super 8 auxiliary bumper guards

Dynaflash8

I've seen a lot of pictures of a lot of 1946 and 1947 Packard Super Clippers (Model 2103) and Custom Super Clippers (Model 2106) with auxiliary front and rear bumper guards.  They could best be described as a squarish upside down "U".  One goes in the middle of the front bumper to protect the grill and the other goes in the middle of the back bumper, I guess to protect the trunk handle.  I like how they look on the car, but I can't find them listed as a factory accessory here on line.  Nor, can I find any listed for sale.  Does anybody know what these would really be called?  They could be Pep Boys accessories I guess, but I've seen too many pictures of cars having them to believe they weren't supplied by Packard; at least at this point.   I'd like mine to look like this one, except I want the skirts.  I have the skirts and the Cormorant hood ornament is on the way.  Wish my car had the "Buick-style" center windshield antenna, but it doesn't and that would be too hard to do.5992e12810fa1_Snazzy1946-1947Packard2103or2106.thumb.jpg.3e098d3880c58ea59a0ac55872760753.jpgAlso, does anybody know of any that could be available?  I know some Packard collectors have parts cars. 

1947 Packard 2103 2.jpg

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

"...I can't find them listed as a factory accessory here on line. ..."

They were a factory accessory.  Accessory brochure available for download at PackardInfo.com.  You might try Kanter Bros., Max Merritt, and/or put a want ad in the Parts Wanted/For Sale  section of PackardInfo.com.  

59930023b7bbc_BumperGuard.JPG.a825c1f27e286a093125853909f21787.JPG

PS.  The roof antenna is difficult to find.  You might try Tucson Packard to see if they have one (if they do have one, be sitting down for the price quote).

Edited by JD in KC
adding info (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JD in KC said:

"...I can't find them listed as a factory accessory here on line. ..."

They were a factory accessory.  Accessory brochure available for download at PackardInfo.com.  You might try Kanter Bros., Max Merritt, and/or put a want ad in the Parts Wanted/For Sale  section of PackardInfo.com.  

59930023b7bbc_BumperGuard.JPG.a825c1f27e286a093125853909f21787.JPG

PS.  The roof antenna is difficult to find.  You might try Tucson Packard to see if they have one (if they do have one, be sitting down for the price quote).

You've done me really good JD.  I looked at the Max Merritt site and didn't see these anywhere.  After paying for the hood ornament, price obviously does't disuade me from something I really want, and I really, really want that. 

JD, Can you do me a favor and send that picture to my old email address which is still up?  It is Forever39buicks@aol.com.  Send it as a jpg, of as a pdf if you have to, so I can print it out and take it to Hershey.  I don't want to give out my new email addee on here because wherever they see it the spammers jump on it.  I think these guards go a long way to making the car.  Next I want to see if I can find the correct fog lights, not just "any" fog lights.  As everybody knows, the cars sold immediately after the War, during the car buying frenzy, where loaded up with every possible factory accessory the dealer could sell.  I think they look more authentic with some of those; although I am not going to spend $445 plus shipping for a sunshade.  I have Kanter's catalog but I haven't seen them in there either.  Man, I've steady been buying, selling and collecting straight 8 Buicks since 1955.  I don't know a whole lot about anything else. :)  As for the roof antenna, that's just too difficult.  I don't want to do any restoration on this car, specifically any painting other than the skirts.  I'm having it shipped to VA so my retiring favorite painter can do the skirts.  If he does anything else, he's like the others.......it takes years!!

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Regarding to roof mounted antenna.   I know on 48-50 Packards the roof mounted  manually operated antenna was standard, and the fender mounted vacuum operated one was an accessory.  46/47 may be the same deal.   So you may have the more expensive option already with the fender mounted antenna.  Also, the rubber around those roof mounted antenna leaked over time and you'd have water entering and causing rust.   I think you're better off without the roof mounted unit.   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, K8096 said:

Regarding to roof mounted antennae.   I know on 48-50 Packards the roof mounted  manually operated antennae was standard, and the fender mounted vacuum operated one was an accessory.  46/47 may be the same deal.   So you may have the more expensive option already with the fender mounted antennae.  Also, the rubber around those roof mounted antennae leaked over time and you'd have water entering and causing rust.   I think you're better off without the roof mounted unit.   

Well I've had a bunch of 1941-1949 Buicks and I never noticed any rooftop antenna's leaking.  There might have been one or two original cars, but none I can specifically remember.  That said, what literature I have been able to find lists the rooftop antenna on the '46 and '47 Packard Super 8's as the accessory.  What I really like about this Packard is that it shares so many things with a '41 Buick Roadmaster.  If I can get the accelerator foot pedal starter hooked up again I will do that and get rid of the current pushbutton starter under the dash.  I hope all of the proper linkage is there.  It uses the long skinny 6volt battery, there is the afore-mentioned rooftop antenna, one inch longer wheelbase, same 165 horsepower, and more I can't think of right now.  The one I bought is too plain, but I'll get her dressed up to show some pizzaz.

JD has been a great help in my effort to identify the auxiliary bumper guards, for which I'm very thankful.  Thanks JD.  He even sent me a piece of a factory brochure picturing them, which I will carry to Hershey to assist my quest.  Lots of helpful people on here, so be proud to be an AACA member.  If you're not, join!!

West, I'm in Maumee, OH tonight on my way to Bettendorf.  Will you be there?

My only known inventor who could make unknown type brackets is sort of slipping away if you know what I mean.  He can't help me.  So, where would I turn for at last a sample of the missing brackets?  I did write to the man you mentioned above (tonight).  Maybe we can talk "Packard" in Bettendorf if you are there.  Thanks for your help.  Earl