Water pump packing specs

The outter shaft nut on my '28 Standard Six water pump came loose and ruined the shaft packing. I tightened it back up but it still leaks too much. I want to minimize down time by repacking the shaft in one go. I can't seem to find any specs on the packing rope such as size and material composition. Short of removing the packing and measuring the pump, then locating the correct packing, which I want to avoid, does anyone know what size and type to use? I have a local industrial seal supply that has every type of sealing rope ever devised. Really big to really fine rope. 

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Dave

The packing is 1/8 square woven and is cut into rings around a 5/8 wooden dowel , the rings are than placed around the pump shaft with the cuts opposite each other . To pack an empty gland you will need  3 to 4 rings and a little grease, do dot over tighten ,only enough to stop leaks. bob

Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. If I was trying to make it through the season, could I get by packing a bit of hardware store plumbing type graphite rope against the existing seal or is this a waste of time? I'm in a parade on Thursday. I likely won't have any issues but could rest assured if there is a possibility of making it better

- Dave

I'm keeping it original. It's not about looking for a modern solution, it's enjoying the way it was done 90 years ago. I work at a Mack Trucks dealership. Simple machines like these give me great pleasure. Totally different than what I do day to day. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, David_Leech said:

I'm keeping it original. It's not about looking for a modern solution, it's enjoying the way it was done 90 years ago. I work at a Mack Trucks dealership. Simple machines like these give me great pleasure. Totally different than what I do day to day. 

I can't disagree with you there.