Trulyvintage

Goodyear is making trailer tires in America

On 12/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, edinmass said:

the goodyears are still having problems,

are you referring to the new American made Goodyear Endurace as having problems. If so could you maybe PM me what you know or your source of info. I am looking to be buying a set soon. Thanks

I have Goodyear Endurance tires on my trailer, put them on last spring,  have not had any problems with them. Also have a second trailer with Goodyear G614 tires on it, been on 4 years with no issues. Those G614 tires are very expensive but i think they are worth it. I changed my tires to 16" , they were originally 15"

Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, edinmass said:

No, only 16 and 19.5, and tractor trailer sizes. Flyer....you're gonna like what you bought!

Edinmass is 100% right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just completed a 4000+ trip to Florida and back for the Daytona 500 and the AACA winter meet on my 6 new Sailun tires 245-70x19.5's.

Snow and freezing rain from Buena Vista all the way to Colby Ks. -9 when we camped at a truck stop.

Driving rain all thru Mo. and Tenn. and busting 3-5" of water all thru Atlanta.

Did not see the sun till we hit the Fla. line.

Then a bit of high speed cruzing down to Claremont.

THESE TIRES ARE GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Put balancing beads in the front and nothing on the duals, and the fenders on our Jayco super "C" were as steady as a rock......

They are also VERY QUIET. Wish I could say that about the Jayco. Lots of wind noise above 60 MPH.

I toured the car show in Ocala on Saturday and walked around the campus about 6 times looking for Marty Roth. Lots of folks said they saw him but I never could catch up to him.

Edinmass, what car did you bring ? I took lots of pictures, and may have yours. I spent a lot of time around the Nash woodie next to the black Packard.

Mike back in frozen Colorado 

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I brought the 1933 Rolls Royce with the split windshield. 

“Edinmass is 100% right!!!!!!!!” 😎

I would never give bad advice! Thanks, Ed

I saw Marty on the field for about a minute.....he was busy working.

I put Michelin’s on the truck, and Sailun’s on the trailer at the same time. (About 30k ago) I will be replacing the truck tires after I get back from Amelia Island next week. The Sailun’s are still 80% or better........now I will take my own advice!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My experience with the Goodyear Endurance tires was that they are the worst trailer tires I have ever used. Having 3.5 million accident-free transport miles over the past 36 years...I have used a lot of tires. I will never be able to give an opinion about how tires are on a trailer that gets used a few thousand miles per year & then sits around. 

I am anal about my maintenance & record keeping & have been for decades, so I know exactly when & how many miles I have on any particular part or tire. I run between 120 & 155k miles per year between the two trucks & trailers. I was running the exact same size Goodyear Marathons on both trailers (Featherlite Open & Ameri-Lite Enclosed) They would last over 100,000 miles every time & I would replace them as soon as  they hit the tread wear indicators. Very rarely ever get flats or have belts come apart. When I recently went to replace them, I was told they no longer made them. I was told the Endurance replaced them. As soon as I saw them, I was not impressed. They had much shallower tread, but figured maybe the compound was harder & would probably be Ok. I was wrong! I bought 8 & within the first year I had to repair 4 of them 3 because of small nails/road debris & 1 replaced  for a broken belt. Fortunately repairs were done in my shop after inspecting the tires & not on the road. Next they only lasted less that 50,000 miles & needed to be replaced. I was recommended to try Maxxis 8008 trailer tires, so I did. their tread pattern & depth look very much the same as the old Marathons & they are low rolling resistance.

Also for the guys that worry about what country a tire is made in, Goodyear does runs of tires in every one of their manufacturing plants, depending on when they are needed. They do NOT make specific tires in specific countries. This comes directly from a "high up' in the company that I know. He was also not surprised that I was disgusted with the Endurance tire.

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

13 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Edinmass is 100% right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just completed a 4000+ trip to Florida and back for the Daytona 500 and the AACA winter meet on my 6 new Sailun tires 245-70x19.5's.

Snow and freezing rain from Buena Vista all the way to Colby Ks. -9 when we camped at a truck stop.

Driving rain all thru Mo. and Tenn. and busting 3-5" of water all thru Atlanta.

Did not see the sun till we hit the Fla. line.

Then a bit of high speed cruzing down to Claremont.

THESE TIRES ARE GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Put balancing beads in the front and nothing on the duals, and the fenders on our Jayco super "C" were as steady as a rock......

They are also VERY QUIET. Wish I could say that about the Jayco. Lots of wind noise above 60 MPH.

I toured the car show in Ocala on Saturday and walked around the campus about 6 times looking for Marty Roth. Lots of folks said they saw him but I never could catch up to him.

Edinmass, what car did you bring ? I took lots of pictures, and may have yours. I spent a lot of time around the Nash woodie next to the black Packard.

Mike back in frozen Colorado 

Mike , Sorry we missed you.

A couple of folks at Ocala told me you were there, and had asked for me - I looked for you and tried to phone as soon as we were finished with our judging team. Apparently I only have your home phone, and not your mobile #.

We headed back to New Orleans after judging was complete and were not able to stay for the banquet that evening. Dale tires out quickly since her liver cancer surgery, but did pretty well through the weekend, and did work in Judging Administration. Hope your trip home was uneventful. We had serious rain from Gulfport on in to New Orleans - so hard that sensible folk slowed it down to 50 mph. Of course there were a few who insisted on speeding, swerving, etc, and tried to keep our distance, even though we were in the 2500 Avalanche and not towing. One of them tangled with an 18-wheeler on the bridge at the MS-LA Border. He was on a gurney in the meat wagon, and cost us an hour delay, but at least we were not part of his wreck. Friends a few miles behind us were delayed almost 3 hours but also were safe.

I need to look into the Sailun tires. I've been using Michelin L/T 235/85R-16 on my trailers, and recently bought a couple of sets of Bias-ply 7.00-15s for our smaller enclosed 7,000 lb trailer (but have not had it back on the road yet)

Edinmass,

If it is the black one with Fla plate ending in 608d, that is truly an outstanding car.

Loved the cast aluminum firewall, and the engine was truly amazing.

Paint looked to be about 2 knuckles deep.

The folks in the newer version on your right were disappointed that you parked next to them, as I think they were going for a "senior" badge and were afraid you would "overshadow" them.

What I took away from the show is that so many of the cars look better than new and  I have a long way to go to even consider showing the Chrysler.

But I got a lot of pointers from the owners, so now the work begins...........

Mike in frozen Colorado

Mike........just got back from the beach..........sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Yes, that’s our car. We were parked in th wrong area, but judged in the correct class.........paperwork mix up on the registration end, no big deal. It was fun to show the car in the AACA for the first time. We were fortunate to get a first junior. Onward and upward! I have been shopping online for new truck tires....haven’t found anything yet that I like. Will keep everyone posted on my final choice. Ed

5268A099-C019-4CFD-AD6E-07D6206F0027.jpeg

ED,

MIKE,

I ordered a set of the SAILUN tires for my enclosed hauler (235/85R-16 Load Range G) from SIMPLETIRE/Ebay 

4 tires delivered free in 2 days for less than $600 and with a very recent Date Code.

Mike, sorry we missed you at Ocala - tried looking and phoning, but only had your home #

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Marty,

You will love the Sailun tires.

We put a new set of 19.5's (6) on our Jayco Senaca for the trip to Florida.

The Michelins were badly weather cracked around their logo's on the sidewalls, but lots of tread left.

Put balance beads up front and nary a hop or wiggle down and back to Colorado.

Plus I do believe they helped a bit on the mileage, but I can't prove it.

She just seemed to coast a bit further. Something I had to get used to.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 2