Goodyear is making trailer tires in America

Good news for those looking for an American made trailer tire .... 

@ https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html 

I just installed (3) of these on the curb side of my enclosed trailer - interested to see how long they will last .... 

Jim 

Webp.net-resizeimage (26).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (25).jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Now this friends, is REALLY good news!  The old foreign made tires would barely last 3 years even if you never used them.  I have spent a fortune in trailer tires since 2000 for no reason other than they are junk.

Sorry to see you had bad luck with foreign made trailer tires. I had the opposite experience.

The foreign made tires that came on my trailer lasted 5+ years before I retired them due to age. In 2010 I bought a set of Goodyear Marathon ST tires for my trailer. Those (brand new, Made in America) tires lasted three years before I started seeing microcracks in the sidewalls even though they were ALWAYS properly inflated and covered when not in use. On the way to Hershey one fall I had a blowout in one of these tires most likely from road debris. With the other tires with cracks in the sidewalls and Goodyear not offering any help towards new tires I purchased a set of brand new Maxxis trailer tires and have not looked back. 3+ years and counting and no cracks or other issues with these tires.

Hopefully these new Goodyear Endurance tires hold up better than the old Marathons did. If they do, I may given Goodyear a second chance when it's time to replace my current tires. 

Charlie

I bought a set of "American" Goodyear Marathon trailer tires after  my  new load range E Carlisle's Blew apart. After I got them on I noticed in almost invisible imprint the word "CHINA". I called Good Year and they assured me that although assembled in CHINA they were made in a Goodyear plant under Goodyear management.  One blew the first year the second the next year.

Goodyear now assures us that their NEW tires are the best thing since sliced bread.

Goodyear might consider changing their name to Goodluck.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Goodyear used to make a private brand of bias trailer tires exclusively for Uhaul to use on trailers.

They were branded for Uhaul use only on the sidewall.

They were load range F or G equivalent.

Goodyear & Uhaul parted ways - Uhaul was selling trailer tires on ebay from it's regional warehouse - I know because I was contemplating

buying some from them many years ago - so it is not suprising that Uhaul is badmouthing Goodyear.

I have had these tires on now for about 1000 miles - no issues.

I don't pay attention much to Gossip .....

Jimk

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I just put 4 of the Goodyear American made Endurance tires on my trailer a few weeks ago. Had been using the Chinese made Goodyears Marathons . I have 2 trailers and use 16 inch wheels on both. I have Goodyear G614 tires on the other trailer, they have been trouble free so far but they cost almost 400 each.

• 7 months later...

I have posted this a half dozen times........this is the BEST trailer tire on the market, 14 ply, all steel case radial, tire rated for 4100lbs, wear like iron, I have these on my trailer for three years, no flats, no worries, no issues. Yup, made in China......by they are an ISO9000 company. Higher speed rating than anything else on the market.......they weigh 62 pounds........a small tractor trailer tire........the goodyears are still having problems, and they tip the scale at 30 pounds. By the way.......150.00 each! Very reasonable price for a FANTASTIC tire. I will never use anything else......all my local buddies were skeptical until they had one in their hands......all have gone over to these tires. It's impossible to hurt them, even if you drag a curb. I can't say enough good things about them. 

IMG_8398.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, edinmass said:

Higher speed rating than anything else on the market.

Those are good looking tires. Might give them a try on my next set.

I noticed in the screen shot that you posted that the speed rating on those Sailun S637's is "L".

Speed rating L is 75 mph.

The Goodyear Endurance (in that same size tire) has a speed rating of "N".

Speed rating N is 87 mph.

The Saylun is an all steel tire,  even the sidewall is steel.  Although your rated for 75 miles an hour,  I think you could spin them at twice that and not have any problems.  I hate to be a cheerleader for any Chinese company.  These things are fantastic.  When you get one in your hands you’ll see for yourself.  Instead  of worrying about scrubbing a curb,  with these things you can drag it down the curb for 100 yards and not hurt the tire.  Every single person who  has held one in their hands off the rim swapped over to these things right away.  If you have any doubt order one just to take a look at it that way there if you’re not impressed you can send it back.  I’m quite certain you won’t.  To be honest it’s one of the few modern items I buy for every day consumption that is better than it has to be.  Let me know how you make out. Ed

PS-  i’m still hearing stories of the Goodyear’s  failing at high-speed’s through the desert with the RV guys as well as the car trailer guys. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

It’s impossible to put value on another person’s trailer tire experience because so few people actually pay attention and care for their trailer tires.  Most are not used enough, parked out in the sun, and not balanced or aired-up correctly.  Use what you like and what has worked for you.  

• 5 weeks later...

Tomorrow I will be installing 6 Sailun tires (19.5") on my 2007 JAYCO super "C" for our annual trip to Florida @ a cost of about $1500.00.

The Michelins that came on it are all cracked around the lettering and my local tire guy said that he would not even balance them or drive around the block with them.

Soooo. in a couple of weeks I will be able to report on the Sailun's performance in snow rain and hot weather travel.

Sure hope they are all that "edinmass" says they are, 'cause my tire guy also thinks they are great.

We'' see.

Mike in frozen Colorado

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

@edinmass  not finding the Sailun S637's available in 15"?  Do you know if they make them in 15?

No, only 16 and 19.5, and tractor trailer sizes. Flyer....you're gonna like what you bought!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No, only 16 and 19.5, and tractor trailer sizes. Flyer....you're gonna like what you bought!

Sure hope they get me down to Ocala for the winter meet.

We'll be towing wife's minivan and staying @ my sister in law's blueberry farm in Claremont, so it's just a short jump up to Ocala.

Mike

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

@edinmass  not finding the Sailun S637's available in 15"?  Do you know if they make them in 15?

You are not the only customer Sailun is losing by not making a 15" trailer tire.

Sadly, I guess they feel there is not enough of a market for 15" trailer tires to justify them making that size.

Too bad, their tires look very good but their 16" tires are simply TOO BIG for my trailer.

I guess I will be buying another set of Maxxis Trailer Tires when the time comes. After my last set of American Made, Goodyear Marathon tires there is no way I am buying them again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grimy said:

Charlie, if you look closely at Marathons (15" I can speak for), they are made in China. 

Actually most people are probably not aware that Goodyear was, in fact, manufacturing the Marathon Trailer tire in USA in 2010.

I should know because I purchased 5 of them for my trailer in early April of 2010. All 5 of the tires were manufactured in the USA in early March of 2010.

If you look closely at Photo #3 it shows "Made in USA". Photo #5 shows the tire was manufactured in week 9 of 2010 which is the first week of March 2010.

I am not sure when Goodyear stopped manufacturing the 15" Marathon tire in the USA but back in 2010 they were being made here.

I also know that even though these tires were ALWAYS properly inflated and ALWAYS covered when not being used they lasted 3.5 years before they had to be replaced and Goodyear was no help what-so-ever. That left a bad taste in my mouth when Goodyear would not stand behind their tires. Interesting to note the original tires that came on my trailer from the factory were made in China and I had ZERO problems with them for 5 years before I replaced them due to age. After the Goodyear tires I bought the Maxxis Trailer Tires (ST205/75R-15, M8008, Load Range D) and have had ZERO problems with them either.

Charlie

2010 GoodYear Trailer Tires_002.jpg

2010 GoodYear Trailer Tires_004.jpg

2010 GoodYear Trailer Tires_003.jpg

2010 GoodYear Trailer Tires_005.jpg

I bought two 15" Marathons in Michigan in the summer of 2012, and they (1) were marked as made in China (a surprise to me) and (2) lasted no more than 2 years and 10,000 miles before they threw treads.  They were always inflated to marked sidewall pressure and were covered when the trailer was out of service.  I never tow above 65 mph (usually 60), and check temps of treads, sidewalls, and hubs at every pit stop.  YMMV, I guess....  I'm running close to the 9,995-lb gross on my 3-axle trailer, so that's a possible difference in the performance that Charlie and I have experienced.

On the same trailer, I have two Endurance tires which are 18 months old (purchased after learning of their availability on this site) and they run cooler than the Marathons and seem to be holding up well so far. As I replace other tires on that trailer, at this time I plan to buy Endurance.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, edinmass said:

the goodyears are still having problems,

are you referring to the new American made Goodyear Endurace as having problems. If so could you maybe PM me what you know or your source of info. I am looking to be buying a set soon. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have Goodyear Endurance tires on my trailer, put them on last spring,  have not had any problems with them. Also have a second trailer with Goodyear G614 tires on it, been on 4 years with no issues. Those G614 tires are very expensive but i think they are worth it. I changed my tires to 16" , they were originally 15"

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, edinmass said:

Edinmass is 100% right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just completed a 4000+ trip to Florida and back for the Daytona 500 and the AACA winter meet on my 6 new Sailun tires 245-70x19.5's.

Snow and freezing rain from Buena Vista all the way to Colby Ks. -9 when we camped at a truck stop.

Driving rain all thru Mo. and Tenn. and busting 3-5" of water all thru Atlanta.

Did not see the sun till we hit the Fla. line.

Then a bit of high speed cruzing down to Claremont.

THESE TIRES ARE GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Put balancing beads in the front and nothing on the duals, and the fenders on our Jayco super "C" were as steady as a rock......

They are also VERY QUIET. Wish I could say that about the Jayco. Lots of wind noise above 60 MPH.

I toured the car show in Ocala on Saturday and walked around the campus about 6 times looking for Marty Roth. Lots of folks said they saw him but I never could catch up to him.

Edinmass, what car did you bring ? I took lots of pictures, and may have yours. I spent a lot of time around the Nash woodie next to the black Packard.

Mike back in frozen Colorado 

• Like 1

I brought the 1933 Rolls Royce with the split windshield. 

“Edinmass is 100% right!!!!!!!!” 😎

I would never give bad advice! Thanks, Ed

I saw Marty on the field for about a minute.....he was busy working.

I put Michelin’s on the truck, and Sailun’s on the trailer at the same time. (About 30k ago) I will be replacing the truck tires after I get back from Amelia Island next week. The Sailun’s are still 80% or better........now I will take my own advice!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Edinmass is 100% right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just completed a 4000+ trip to Florida and back for the Daytona 500 and the AACA winter meet on my 6 new Sailun tires 245-70x19.5's.

Snow and freezing rain from Buena Vista all the way to Colby Ks. -9 when we camped at a truck stop.

Driving rain all thru Mo. and Tenn. and busting 3-5" of water all thru Atlanta.

Did not see the sun till we hit the Fla. line.

Then a bit of high speed cruzing down to Claremont.

THESE TIRES ARE GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!

Put balancing beads in the front and nothing on the duals, and the fenders on our Jayco super "C" were as steady as a rock......

They are also VERY QUIET. Wish I could say that about the Jayco. Lots of wind noise above 60 MPH.

I toured the car show in Ocala on Saturday and walked around the campus about 6 times looking for Marty Roth. Lots of folks said they saw him but I never could catch up to him.

Edinmass, what car did you bring ? I took lots of pictures, and may have yours. I spent a lot of time around the Nash woodie next to the black Packard.

Mike back in frozen Colorado 

Mike , Sorry we missed you.

A couple of folks at Ocala told me you were there, and had asked for me - I looked for you and tried to phone as soon as we were finished with our judging team. Apparently I only have your home phone, and not your mobile #.

We headed back to New Orleans after judging was complete and were not able to stay for the banquet that evening. Dale tires out quickly since her liver cancer surgery, but did pretty well through the weekend, and did work in Judging Administration. Hope your trip home was uneventful. We had serious rain from Gulfport on in to New Orleans - so hard that sensible folk slowed it down to 50 mph. Of course there were a few who insisted on speeding, swerving, etc, and tried to keep our distance, even though we were in the 2500 Avalanche and not towing. One of them tangled with an 18-wheeler on the bridge at the MS-LA Border. He was on a gurney in the meat wagon, and cost us an hour delay, but at least we were not part of his wreck. Friends a few miles behind us were delayed almost 3 hours but also were safe.

I need to look into the Sailun tires. I've been using Michelin L/T 235/85R-16 on my trailers, and recently bought a couple of sets of Bias-ply 7.00-15s for our smaller enclosed 7,000 lb trailer (but have not had it back on the road yet)

Edinmass,

If it is the black one with Fla plate ending in 608d, that is truly an outstanding car.

Loved the cast aluminum firewall, and the engine was truly amazing.

Paint looked to be about 2 knuckles deep.

The folks in the newer version on your right were disappointed that you parked next to them, as I think they were going for a "senior" badge and were afraid you would "overshadow" them.

What I took away from the show is that so many of the cars look better than new and  I have a long way to go to even consider showing the Chrysler.

But I got a lot of pointers from the owners, so now the work begins...........

Mike in frozen Colorado

Mike........just got back from the beach..........sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Yes, that’s our car. We were parked in th wrong area, but judged in the correct class.........paperwork mix up on the registration end, no big deal. It was fun to show the car in the AACA for the first time. We were fortunate to get a first junior. Onward and upward! I have been shopping online for new truck tires....haven’t found anything yet that I like. Will keep everyone posted on my final choice. Ed

5268A099-C019-4CFD-AD6E-07D6206F0027.jpeg

• 3 months later...

ED,

MIKE,

I ordered a set of the SAILUN tires for my enclosed hauler (235/85R-16 Load Range G) from SIMPLETIRE/Ebay 

4 tires delivered free in 2 days for less than $600 and with a very recent Date Code.

Mike, sorry we missed you at Ocala - tried looking and phoning, but only had your home #

• Like 1

Marty,

You will love the Sailun tires.

We put a new set of 19.5's (6) on our Jayco Senaca for the trip to Florida.

The Michelins were badly weather cracked around their logo's on the sidewalls, but lots of tread left.

Put balance beads up front and nary a hop or wiggle down and back to Colorado.

Plus I do believe they helped a bit on the mileage, but I can't prove it.

She just seemed to coast a bit further. Something I had to get used to.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well I will pipe in here....

Bought a set of the new USA Endurance tires for my main trailer. With less that 3K (more like 2K) one formed a bubble poking out of the sidewall while on the road (heading to FL). In less than 2K after another bubble formed in another tire. The shops confirmed defect in the tire but ofcourse Goodyear tried to blame me.... The best was with the tire off rim the bubble was not as big so that proved it was from the outside, Really???? Yea they then realized that  the "girl" (my wife) they were talking to had a clue.  Goodyear did pay/ replaced the tires but I am out of pocket for mounting and balancing (I own my own machines so normally don't cost me anything). They do ride nice I will say that.

I have been running Rainier after they came with a new trailer I bought and have not had any issues with them and the are cheap. At this point I will be going back to them the next time.

• Like 1