First generation Car Cover

Guest Mr Jones

Guest Mr Jones

My 65 is parked in a garage that is less than perfectly dust free so I need to buy a cover.

Does anyone know of a company that makes these?

I can have one custom made in Australia, but no one I have found has the pattern in stock so it will cost a bit.

Any leads are appreciated.

Edited by Mr Jones (see edit history)

Hi Mr Jones,

congratulations on your '65. Not easy to pick up one here but think you have done well.

Re your car cover,  many years back I bought a good soft cover to suit my 64 Buick Skylark, which is a similar size to the Riviera. Can't remember the brand however it was a good quality cover from one of the chain auto stores. It suited a large car according to the label and a modification I made was to make a hole for the antennae. Would not think you need to get one made for your Riviera, 

good luck and enjoy the forum.

Rodney

Guest Mr Jones

Thank you Rodney

I have waited about 10 years to find a car like this one.

I will probably go for a fully lined cover in any case to travel in the trunk if I am out for an extended period of time.

Since my OP I have contacted one company in WA for a quote, still waiting to hear back.

Theirs look really good.

http://www.carcovers.com.au/gallery/

Another company makes a generic one for around $200.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/car_care_products/prestige_car_cover/x_x_large_car

The antenna caught my attention as well.

I love walking around my garage with a polishing cloth and a spray bottle of detailer. Every time I walk in I can see them sitting there, each one showing off the shape that made me buy it. I have a pneumatic drafting chair with arms and a foot rest where I just sit back comfortably and enjoy all the shapes and shine. I'm not a guy to cover even if they do get dusty.

Bernie

• Like 1

There are a couple of different theories on this.  One is to get the best cover you can -- usually lined, water-resistant, etc.  Kinda like a foldable garage, if you will, for maximum protection.  The other is to get something lightweight, just to keep the dust off.  The thinking here is that the car is indoors, so it it shouldn't be in great physical peril, nor should it be getting wet.  And besides, a heavy cover is more likely to scratch the surface if something does get between the cover and the car, and it's more likely to hold water in should it get wet (i.e from humidity), thus promoting rust.

I chose option 2, and I got whatever XL cover Walmart was selling at the time for $20-30.  I throw it in the washing machine every few months, and it dries in about 10 minutes.  I've got no complaints, and I see no reason for or benefit to something "better" (read: heavier and more expensive).

YMMV.

Best deal on car covers IMO is ebay. I recently bought one by KONO covers that advertised as 20 layers whatever that means but it is just as good as the ones I see for well over $100. Its also somewhat reflective so the interior doesn't get too hot. But if you want custom fit, you're going to pay $$. 

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

I keep my cars covered even though they are in a garage. Sometimes people come in and say "Isn't that sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders?". Its a matter of preference, but I've found that covers keep dust off, bugs/droppings from insects attracted to overhead lights in summer and mostly it's protection from the occasional "rub by" that happens when you're moving around the cars. It would be nice to have them uncovered so you can look at them, but I've found the benefits of protection outweigh the eye candy factor. They sort of look like big wrapped up xmas presents. But here's the thing: A old, dirty conventional cover can actually attract dirt and leave your car dirty and dusty. I would cover my car, them spend a long time dusting it off after I removed the cover. The older my conventional cover got, I felt like I was putting dirty clothes on after taking a shower. I found a product called a "Dust Top" from California Car cover. It's an indoor only cover, but it seems too magically prevent the dust from laying up on the car. Also, it's light and much easier to put on versus the dirty, heavy old cotton ones I used to use. I also been told that a heavy, old style cover with a lot of accumulated dirt can actually harm a paint job. Am I being sort of fussy? Yeah. Are "Dust Tops" sort of pricey? Yeah, but they sure do a great job. PRL

OR, if you want to keep it dust free & viewable you could get one of these ...

CC18FDodgeCharger__59246_1484101287_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.d58419f975a7864121d018a6a76d98d1.jpg

This is an 18' model, the Charger says 17.3' so it is 207" long, the same as a first generation Riviera.

I have thought about it a few times but never have gotten one, but, it would be another option.

There are several options on Amazon, even. I purchased a basic gray CoverKing cover for about $85. My Rivi sits in a carport and surprisingly that cover is holding up OK after 2 years. I make sure to take it off and dust the car at least every two weeks. I does hang a bit loosely though. For a car in a garage like you have, that's probably fine.

I have thought about buying the custom fit cover from CoverKing, but that's more like $280. I have one of those on my NSX (it sits outside and needs more protection). 

On 8/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, Mr Jones said:

My 65 is parked in a garage that is less than perfectly dust free so I need to buy a cover.

Does anyone know of a company that makes these?

I can have one custom made in Australia, but no one I have found has the pattern in stock so it will cost a bit.

Any leads are appreciated.

Sir, I don't know shipping costs to Australia, but the chain stores of car part suppliers have a cover for the 65 in a very good fit, at least my fit is fine. I bought a cover the supplier said would fit my 63. The cover has draw strings back and front and grommets for additional tie down. The cover completely covers the automobile. A patch kit is included if you want to make a space for your antenna. The price points come in an ever increasing amount as you move toward the top shelf model. I think mine was $150.00 USD ABOUT a year AGO.

I garage my car and with the cover the dust is held in check.

Red Riviera Bob

On 8/12/2017 at 10:10 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I love walking around my garage with a polishing cloth and a spray bottle of detailer. Every time I walk in I can see them sitting there, each one showing off the shape that made me buy it. I have a pneumatic drafting chair with arms and a foot rest where I just sit back comfortably and enjoy all the shapes and shine. I'm not a guy to cover even if they do get dusty.

Bernie

Bernie my carriage house is 200 feet from back door. I go and fix stuff on my tractors or the Riv and listen to satellite radio. I like Gypsy jazz by Django Rhinehart ( guitar )and Stephan Capelli ( violinist ). Great Europeans playing American jazz in a string band. Django had two of his fingers on his left hand he could not use to voice his notes. Django worked with left thumb, forefinger, and middle finger to get the job done. Check Django out on YouTube for some hot jazz.

how did you with yellow wire repair on the alternator?

RRB

The only problem with covers for a 1st generation Riviera is what happens to them after a couple of years of being poked by the antenna.  Cut out a hole for the antenna and it's no longer water or dust proof.  I've cut a slot in a tennis ball and mounted it over the antenna which helps some.  Too bad no one makes a cover with a sewn in sleeve for the antenna.

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The only problem with covers for a 1st generation Riviera is what happens to them after a couple of years of being poked by the antenna.  Cut out a hole for the antenna and it's no longer water or dust proof.  I've cut a slot in a tennis ball and mounted it over the antenna which helps some.  Too bad no one makes a cover with a sewn in sleeve for the antenna.

If the car is indoors, how much water or dust is going to make it in through a dime-size hole?  And if it's outdoors, you're SOL anyway.

BTW, I've had my cheap nylon cover on my car for 15 years or so.  It doesn't have an antenna hole.  It doesn't have any rips or tears from the antenna, either. :unsure:  Put the antenna down all the way, drape the cover over the car, you're done.

Rummaging around in the dresser is an easy way to find a solution to the antenna problem.

538.jpg

The nylon breaths pretty good and won't scratch the finish. Any old clothes made from sheer fabrics will do. Just avoid cotton and wool.

Bernie

17 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

If the car is indoors, how much water or dust is going to make it in through a dime-size hole?  And if it's outdoors, you're SOL anyway.

BTW, I've had my cheap nylon cover on my car for 15 years or so.  It doesn't have an antenna hole.  It doesn't have any rips or tears from the antenna, either. :unsure:  Put the antenna down all the way, drape the cover over the car, you're done.

I guess I should have stated "if you plan on leaving it outdoors."

3 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bernie my carriage house is 200 feet from back door. I go and fix stuff on my tractors or the Riv and listen to satellite radio. I like Gypsy jazz by Django Rhinehart ( guitar )and Stephan Capelli ( violinist ).

I have a SONY CD player my Son bought me quite a while ago. Right now. The soundtrack from the original From Dust Til Dawn is in there, the soundtrack from The Music Man movie, and David Bowie's soundtrack from The Labyrinth.

Mine is out there about 120 feet off the back porch. Admittance for "people of the house" is by invitation only.

001.thumb.JPG.fefc34dbd4b5f340ad6a7d821c7358a9.JPG

That wire is still un-repaired. It fell off my interest radar and stuff got re-positioned. It is in the back now.

002.thumb.JPG.642a612e625f3c8038be48188734f718.JPG

I did feel posessed to wander with the detail bottle though.

003.thumb.JPG.8fb4ebfb33c1b453e4522ca75b94dbb3.JPG

Maybe later this week.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Bernie, great looking property. I like that your place is level. Great set up. When my lovely bride comes to bring a snack or coffee she makes a little noise to let me know she's coming down the lane. 

I didn't do much today but try and figure out how to keep one of the metal bulb tail light sockets from dropping out of the can. I must not have all the little metal tongs not in the hole where the socket is suppose to seat. You know every time you pop the socket out you have to stand on your head to replace the socket or take the can out to put the bulb socket back. That is a simple challenge.

BTW, I DID put some alligator clamps on each end of a 25 ft. 10 gauge wire in an effort to use it as a test tool.

additionally, I found some clear diagrams of where the vacuum hoses ( color coded) go for the AC. Fortunately, I have plenty of cold air, but I would to use the cold air in the cabin with more volume and control. I take the repairs as far as I can possibly go before I take the car to the shop. Since I bought the car May 2016 I've : rebuilt carb, and power brake booster, replaced the master brake cylinder, replaced the radiator, replaced the battery, replaced the regulator and alternator-twice,, replaced dual exhaust from the exhaust manifold back, had the alternator output cable rebuilt ( it had shorted out on the condenser ). I had the HVAC control panel bell arm replicated and replaced, all new universal joints in the drive shaft,, and complete tune up with new wires, plugs, condenser, etc. The brakes were inspected and precious little had to be done other than repack the wheel bearings. Of my own choosing I had the interior  reupholstered to include front and back door panels and kick panels, new windlass, all new weather stripping, seats done in red leather per original spec. New replacement carpeting per original spec. New trunk weather stripping as well as new tail light mount gaskets and lense gaskets. Resurrected an original 63 wheel cover with JB weld. I'm keeping a log book as well as all the receipts to support my claims in the event I want to sell the car. 

4 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bernie my carriage house is 200 feet from back door. I go and fix stuff on my tractors or the Riv and listen to satellite radio. I like Gypsy jazz by Django Rhinehart ( guitar )and Stephan Capelli ( violinist ). Great Europeans playing American jazz in a string band. Django had two of his fingers on his left hand he could not use to voice his notes. Django worked with left thumb, forefinger, and middle finger to get the job done. Check Django out on YouTube for some hot jazz.

how did you with yellow wire repair on the alternator?

RRB

RRB now your cooking! Both those artists are among my faves. 

www.covercraft.com

They have custom patterns for all Riviera.......Pattern C24E is for the '63-65 models, Pattern C24L is for '66-70, C91 fits '71-76, CA2 fits '77-78, CA94 fits '79-85

C9610 and later have dual mirror pockets and fits '86-88, C11315 fits the '89-93, and C14680 fits the 1995-2000.

Covercraft is the largest cover manufacturer in the world and each of the patterns above can be had in about 14 different materials plus some materials have several colors available.

I have been a distributor for 30+ years but prefer not to get involved with shipping outside the US, I am pretty sure you can buy directly from the web site.

If anyone in the US is interested, contact me and I will price a cover.

• Like 1

Guest Mr Jones

Thank you everyone for your advice and input - there is a lot of knowledge here to be sure.

I have decided to go with a lightweight cotton cover made here in OZ, Western Australia .  Given the car will be indoors most of the time all I really need is a dust cover.

For the most part this will be limited to servicing a 50km radius from where I live, to help keeep the mile low.

I might get a plastic rain coat for it on the odd chance I get caught in the rain, though I won't take it out when raining generally.

Subject the antenna,

I just measured the location of the radio antenna in advance of ordering a custom cover.

I measure 845mm from dead center of the hood and 1230mm back from the leading edge of the headkight cowling.

Is this accurate and/or is there a better way to locate this?

Thank you

Guest Mr Jones
4 hours ago, RivNut said:

The solution for this maker is to sew in a button hole type arrangement where the antenna goes through.  His solution seems pretty sound as it will close up around the antenna, and at worst, I only have to worry a bout getting a bit of dust on the chrome antenna mount.

13 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

RRB now your cooking! Both those artists are among my faves. 

Scott, on another note regarding fasteners you probably have some knowledge. The fastener studs that hold the tail light bracket inside the 63 Riv trunk are impossible to find. The stud is a combination size with one end threaded 1/4" 20 and the other end  10 32 size. 1/4 of the stud makes up a 10 32  thread with a nut separating the 10 32 from the 1/4" 20 portion of the stud. How do you make such a fastener? Pls remember I'm trying to stay away from liquid metal.?

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Scott, on another note regarding fasteners you probably have some knowledge. The fastener studs that hold the tail light bracket inside the 63 Riv trunk are impossible to find. The stud is a combination size with one end threaded 1/4" 20 and the other end  10 32 size. 1/4 of the stud makes up a 10 32  thread with a nut separating the 10 32 from the 1/4" 20 portion of the stud. How do you make such a fastener? Pls remember I'm trying to stay away from liquid metal.?

There are many vendors that dismantle these old Rivs, are you a member of The Riviera Owners Assn ? The bi-monthly Riview is the association magazine that has a classified section in the back . Lots of vendors and great people to boot. Also the local machine shop is another resource if you have a sample. By the way, it`s better to start  a new thread or topic as it ruffles some peoples feathers if you "hijack" a posting with off topic stuff.

Edited by Scott Mckenzie (see edit history)

Antenna location on older cars can vary........put the cover on the car....get it centered front to back...side to side and with material up against the antenna mark as close as you can.

If the cover material is synthetic, a hot nail will melt a hole and the  threads will melt, on cotton cut a small hole.

For reinforcement....buy iron on knee patches for pants, apply one to the inside of the cover, ironing in in place is fine with cotton but you must be very careful with the heat on synthetic covers,

you might want to glue it in place.

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

You use 1/4-20 All-thread for the whole thing and change the 10 32 nuts to fit the All-thread.

47 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

There are many vendors that dismantle these old Rivs, are you a member of The Riviera Owners Assn ? The bi-monthly Riview is the association magazine that has a classified section in the back . Lots of vendors and great people to boot. Also the local machine shop is another resource if you have a sample. By the way, it`s better to start  a new thread or topic as it ruffles some peoples feathers if you "hijack" a posting with off topic stuff.

9 minutes ago, RivNut said:

You use 1/4-20 All-thread for the whole thing and change the 10 32 nuts to fit the All-thread.

Ed, the 10 32 portion screws in the tail light mounting bracket that holds the bracket on back of the car.

48 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

Scott, Got it. Thanks for the heads up/tip on how a " thread" goes. Understood.

• Like 1

I cut an antenna hole in my cover as follows: First, roll the whole cover out on the length of the drivers side only of the car and pull it taut across the front and rear bumpers, leaving it furled on the passenger side. Push the cover up against the antenna and mark the approximate hole position. Next, roll it over the front end of the car across both sides (passenger and drivers), keeping it furled and do the same. Finally, do the same procedure from the rear going forward. You'll end up with three dots in very close proximity. Punch the hole in the middle of all three marks. If you don't take three measurements, you'll end up with a cover that pulls one way or another. Take the "fabric donut" most covers include and glue it down with 3M 8008 weatherstrip adhesive. If you don't use the donut or glue that sucker down with something strong, you'll have a hole that tears and ruins the cover over time. One final OCD nerd trick...mark the front of the cover and sew a small amount of red ribbon on it...it'll help you find the starting point when you go to re-cover and prevent you from fumbling with a giant cover.  PRL

28 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Good advice Pete. When I cut a hole in my cover I was off too far towards the front by five inches. I now have a giant slot

where the antenna goes......one of the dumber things I have done.

If that's one of the dumber things you've done, you have led a remarkable life.

• Thanks 1

Mr Jones, I see you decided which cover to go with, just thought I would add to the topic some.

My sister-in-law used to sew car covers, mentioned it before on the forum I believe. When she had a car, mostly small sports cars, that had an antenna that did not go all the way down to level with the fender, she would sew in the pocket for the antenna.

As for covers, I agree with Barney that Covercraft are great covers! I bought one through GM for my ’95 when they were still available, I am 90% certain it is Covercraft brand. The fit is perfect! The one I got was for indoor/outdoor use and it did get used outdoors for several years. With it inside now it does a great job keeping anything and everything off the Riv.  There are times I do need to “dust” the car off when removing it, but overall a great cover. Pictured below.

Publication1.thumb.jpg.515328b90b4562bd7c8804f8446b3921.jpg

599351a119f5a_008(1280x960).thumb.jpg.fd5717136be6af807ec9d21e4115e8fe.jpg

As Barney stated, they have patterns for the first generation Riv, so I would bet it would be as good a fit as it is for my ’95.

For one of my 65’s I bought one of the XL covers from a department store and it does an adequate job. It is not in a garage but a 10’X20’ Shelter Logic shelter. I used it for a while with it draped over the antenna, then I decided it would not be that much of a problem, cost $30, and it would stay on better, to “poke” a hole in it for the antenna. It does stay on better with the hole, and is not noticeable enough with what dirt/dust it lets in.

Just thought I’d put out the options I know of.

• Like 1

The antenna "sleeve" is still offered by Covercraft.......however they will not install it without you first marking where you want it placed.....this involves them shipping you the cover, you mark it, ship it back, they install the sleeve,

ship it back to you and if you miss the location...though.  They will also include the sleeve with the cover order and you can install.   The sleeve looks cool but is a pain.

Pete in #31 mentioned he marked the front........I have a different option.

Most people fold the sides up on top of the car then fold or roll the cover up to take it off.

When you fold the sides up......there is a tie down grommet on the bottom of the sides.......with a big black marker make an arrow on the underside of the cover at the grommet pointing toward the front.

now when you put in on the car and unfold, if it is backwards you just rotate 180 and finish the install. 

One other option for people that store their cars during the winter and live somewhere the neighborhood will allow.

Make a PCV pipe frame and cover that with one of those 1-2 year tarps.  This gives your vehicle protection but the material does not touch the car.  For about $100 you can make a frame that will last many years and you will just replace the tarps as they wear out.    Do not make the top flat.....using 45 degree fittings you can have a roof/top that sheds rain and snow.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

The antenna "sleeve" is still offered by Covercraft.......however they will not install it without you first marking where you want it placed.....this involves them shipping you the cover, you mark it, ship it back, they install the sleeve,

ship it back to you and if you miss the location...though.  They will also include the sleeve with the cover order and you can install.   The sleeve looks cool but is a pain. 

Makes perfect sense to me, you could have the sleeve installed yourself and save the shipping charges too?

I bought a generic cover and on the top of the cover at the tip of the hood it's printed in large letters FRONT. It's also not symmetrical front of back. I know if it's on upside down because the scoops for the vents are wrong. It was cheap and I picked it up at a local jobber. I have no idea of the brand.

Guest Mr Jones
4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Pete in #31 mentioned he marked the front........I have a different option.

Most people fold the sides up on top of the car then fold or roll the cover up to take it off.

When you fold the sides up......there is a tie down grommet on the bottom of the sides.......with a big black marker make an arrow on the underside of the cover at the grommet pointing toward the front.

now when you put in on the car and unfold, if it is backwards you just rotate 180 and finish the install. 

One other option for people that store their cars during the winter and live somewhere the neighborhood will allow.

Make a PCV pipe frame and cover that with one of those 1-2 year tarps.  This gives your vehicle protection but the material does not touch the car.  For about $100 you can make a frame that will last many years and you will just replace the tarps as they wear out.    Do not make the top flat.....using 45 degree fittings you can have a roof/top that sheds rain and snow.

Here is the gallery page of the company in Western Australia who makes the custom covers. His prices are a little higher than Covercraft.  The lightweight cotton one is the one I am still considering, as the heat is a big factor in summer in Australia.    The material is fully washable, and I think he does excellent work from what I can see - the Corvette cover looks really great and he does have the pattern for the 1st Gen Rivs.  I am still not committed one way or another but I do like supporting local business people if the product is good.  I will think while I wait for a color fabric swatch to arrive from him.

http://www.carcovers.com.au/gallery/

22 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Good advice Pete. When I cut a hole in my cover I was off too far towards the front by five inches. I now have a giant slot

where the antenna goes......one of the dumber things I have done.

Remember those floor shift kits you could get in the '60's? Just cut  4" X 4" hole in the transmission tunnel, my first thought on reading that.

Bernie