Towing with 2wd

Hi, a friend needs to buy a truck to haul a trailer with building supplies.  Has anyone had experience hauling any type of trailer with a 2wd truck?  Is this an issue in the winter when there is snow or ice or does the weight of the trailer make up for the lack of 4wd?

50 minutes ago, lancemb said:

Hi, a friend needs to buy a truck to haul a trailer with building supplies.  Has anyone had experience hauling any type of trailer with a 2wd truck?  Is this an issue in the winter when there is snow or ice or does the weight of the trailer make up for the lack of 4wd?

Private or is he a jobber? Private, 2 wheel is fine, jobber get a 4 wheel drive. 2 wheel haul trailers all day long.

Here is a 2 wheel drive hauling 25K in all kinds of weather.

ca_8942_005 (1).jpg

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Another consideration is will he be using the truck off of pavement such as grass or up grades. A two wheel drive PU truck on wet grass or mud is all but helpless.....Bob

Good point Bhigdog,

Wish I had originally ordered my Suburban with 4-WD, but didn't realize how beneficial it would be. 

That is one of the reasons we also have the Avalanche 2500 with 4-WD and the 8.1L engine, (and also the 2000 Excursion with 4-WD and the 7.3L Turbo-Diesel.

Size matters !

Especially when towing...

• Like 2

On 8/12/2017 at 10:02 AM, Bhigdog said:

Another consideration is will he be using the truck off of pavement such as grass or up grades. A two wheel drive PU truck on wet grass or mud is all but helpless.....Bob

I agree 100%. Traction with 2WD on grass (especially wet grass) and/or up grades can be a problematic especially pulling a trailer with any weight to it.

Over the years I have switched on 4WD more than a few times when towing my loaded car hauler on wet grass, grass up grades and or wet/soft ground surfaces at AACA Meets. Don't want to lose traction and get stuck and/or tear up the field due to using just 2WD. 

Charlie

Provide us with a towing rule & someone will show us of successfully breaking  it.  Years ago I pulled a 4,000 pound camping trailer with a 4,400 67 Chrysler.   With 87,000 miles, the transmission clutches had to be replaced.  I towed slower & was very careful when off pavement.  My best advice for towing was to always know how you getting out before you go off pavement.  Four wheel drive reduces problems & I believe well worth the cost.  I tow an open car trailer with a 2wd 1500 Silverado with an equalizer hitch, sway bars, & trailer brakes no faster than 65 mph.  A 3/4 ton 4 wd would be a requirement with an enclosed trailer.