What might have been.......

Guest Stephen Lyons

Guest Stephen Lyons

My personal list of features that the TC lacked but that could/ought have been either standard equipment or at least optionally available:<P>Fog/Driving Lamps - This omission is absolutely inexplicable to me in a car of the TC's type & class. I don't thnk there was ever even a prototype that had them.<P>Cupholder - At least one prototype did have this, a dual retractable one mounted in the cubbyhole below the stereo. My guess is that this was deleted in the production version in order to keep that space readily usable for installation by the dealer of the optional CD player.<P>Autodim Inside Mirror - Lesser cars of the era had this, & there was electrical wiring already having to be routed to the fixture for the interior lighting, & so it could have been easily included.<P>Front Airdam/Spoiler - There are pictures of a prototype that had a much more agressive & functional lower bumper profile. The shape adopted for production just tends to lift the front end at higher speeds.<P>Climate Control - Again, a premium type feature widely available in other makes & models at the time; instead, TC buyers got the lackluster, standard K-car type manual controls for heating & a/c.<P>Factory Installed Alarm System - Again, what were they thinking in not providing this? Especially in a convertible, which is inherently more vulnerable to break-ins & theft!<P>Anything else to be added to this list?

• 1 year later...

How about including keyless entry, memory setting for the seats and mirrors for 2 different drivers, and a rear defroster grid on the glass in the convertible top? I'm really surprised that the mirror and window switches aren't illuminated at night, and that at least the drivers window doesn't have an express down feature....anyone else?

Guest Stephen Lyons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How about including keyless entry, memory setting for the seats and mirrors for 2 different drivers, and a rear defroster grid on the glass in the convertible top? I'm really surprised that the mirror and window switches aren't illuminated at night, and that at least the drivers window doesn't have an express down feature....anyone else? </div></div>

I'm not sure how available in general some of these features were when the car was new. My recollection is that keyless entry (by remote control as opposed to door mounted keypad), memory settings, & the auto down window features were all introduced later in the 1990's, at least as far a Chysler was concerned. Some GM brands may have had them sooner.

I concur regarding the desirability of having the mirror/window switches illuminated. That they are not is a product of the practice in the TC of utilizing off the shelf Chrysler components of the period. As far as I know, no switches that Chrysler was using at that time were illuminated. Were the TC being made today, it would almost certainly have this amenity, as even my late model Dodge Stratus has lit switches.

I absolutely agree about a defroster for the soft top's rear glass window, an excellent observation. Should not have been technologically difficult to have done that.

We might be thankful that the TC did not incorporate a feature that was all the rage at the time & that many "premium" Chrysler products sported, that beung digital instrumentation.

• 1 month later...

How about rear wheel drive, more horse power/torque, contrasting interior stitching...

I have never owned nor driven... aside from the 16v *i own a cosworth 16v mercedes w/ getrag tranny, what is the next best tc collectible, the 4 cyl or 6 cyl? thanks..