Das Awkfesht Fescht Car Show Pictures Part 3

cutlasguy

Wow ! Thanks cutlasguy for taking the time to shoot all the pics and post them for us. I agree with Tom. More pre-war. But  I have been an old car guy for at least 70 of my 73 years. Old cars when I was first interested in them in 1947 were old then. Pretty much still where my sentiments are. My very favorite of all the pics you have kindly shared with us is in Part 4. The Locke 4 passenger phaeton 1929 L Lincoln. Thanks again. I enjoyed your pics very much !  - Carl

The swap meet was down again this year. There were a lot of empty spaces on Saturday.

I can't understand why they don't simply put the remaining vendors closer together. It would make the area easier to walk and eliminate the need to pass by a lot of empty spaces

On Saturday the amount of cars seemed about 60% of the normal attendance. It did rain early but turned into a very nice day, but I can't believe the attendance was down due to the weather. The number of parts vendors seamed about 2/3 from last year and I did notice a lot more barbecue vendors as well. Still a nice show with a large number of pre-war cars in attendance.

It really was a Great show and we always looked forward to going up until 25 years ago or so. Hot air balloon meet on the New Jersey/Pa. borderer was always a sight, kids love seeing them. There were lots on cars driven to the meet and we'd try to guess what was inside the enclosed trailers we'd pass along the way. Swap meet was like a mini Hershey, really great stuff back then. Several collectors of Brass Era cars would bring out something you only saw in early coverage of events in the late 1940's early 1950's. I think a lot of older members would rather drive the air conditioned tow vehicles they bought 30 years ago and not take the trailer and old pre war car. Just glad I got to see the hobby back then. Bob

Guest SaddleRider

I am confused - 'DAS AWKFESHT FESHT"...?     Looked over this "thread" and the photos - mostly American cars, and some even have American license plates.   Ich have Verwandte in Deutschland Wer sind auto buffs und wurde genrne teilnehmen.  Wo in Deutcschland wird diese Stad Macungie".    I am sure they'd love to go see this.

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It really was a Great show and we always looked forward to going up until 25 years ago or so. Hot air balloon meet on the New Jersey/Pa. borderer was always a sight, kids love seeing them. There were lots on cars driven to the meet and we'd try to guess what was inside the enclosed trailers we'd pass along the way. Swap meet was like a mini Hershey, really great stuff back then. Several collectors of Brass Era cars would bring out something you only saw in early coverage of events in the late 1940's early 1950's. I think a lot of older members would rather drive the air conditioned tow vehicles they bought 30 years ago and not take the trailer and old pre war car. Just glad I got to see the hobby back then. Bob

Bob, you are right, this was one of the premier shows many decades ago. The flea market was outstanding, I remember finding things there that I wouldn't see at Hershey. Afraid that many of the older members you refer to are no longer with us.

Guest SaddleRider

Thank you guys for straightening me out.   My parents were German (came to the USA before I was born)   - when they were alive  they insisted we spoke American-English even at home on Long Island!     Typical of what folks were like in our German ancestry neighborhood on Long Island.  They were ( and my brother and I ) are pretty durn proud to be AMERICANS.

I am not familiar with the Pa/New Jersey area so I don't know about their customs and thus cant comment on them or what they do at their car shows.  

We left New York area and moved to California many many years ago.  I did not realize what you guys were referring to was an American car show for American cars for American attendance  here in the USA.

I understand they have car buffs in England, France, and Germany who have car shows celebrating their interest in American cars.   I have no idea what language they speak or what they call their American-oriented car shows in their countries.

I have attended car shows in various parts of the USA - but everything - show name, signs, etc.   wherever I was, was in American English.

One thing for sure we can agree on - those sure are great photos of great !  Thanks for the info !

As far as some folks in here grumbling that the cars shown "are too new",  let me note that "time marches on"!

When I was a kid one did not call any car newer than those who had carbide headlamps and brass radiators ...."antiques".   But that was then.   For a perspective....think about this - the Vietnam war is now as distant & as irrelevant to many car buffs at car shows today,  as World War One was to us in the 1950's.

You can laugh about it or cry about it, or  bang your head against the wall....or just quietly stop fussing &  accept it and move on - the simple fact is, my 2001 Toyota Rav 4 will be an "antique" in just a few more years.  

Don't forget that Macungie is only about an hour away from Philadelphia, the birthplace of the AACA. Within about a 75 mile radius of Macungie there are some 13 AACA regions in Pennsylvania, about 5 in New Jersey plus one in Delaware. The very interesting Mack Truck Museum used to be in Macungie but is now in nearby Allentown. The Macungie location along with great organization and many different family made this an event that brought out many cars that you would not see at Hershey.

40 minutes ago, SaddleRider said:

Thank you guys for straightening me out.  

You can laugh about it or cry about it, or  bang your head against the wall....or just quietly stop fussing &  accept it and move on - the simple fact is, my 2001 Toyota Rav 4 will be an "antique" in just a few more years.  

There are so few cars that were in a dealers showroom in my lifetime that I'd care to see today. There are more of those owners and they keep making more cars and future owners, THEY WON. We still have our memories of the truly "Anitque" and "Classic" cars. Like a fine shotgun, you don't have to use it to enjoy having it. Bob

• Thanks 1