Cars That Made America

I agree, you can not compare any of the Ken Burns documentaries with this poor excuse for a show. I just finished watching the rerun of the documentary on the Roosevelt's, outstanding!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mwilhoyte

I just got done watching all 3 episodes, and while I was entertained, I found myself also screaming at the T.V.

1. I thought centeralizing the story around FoMoCo was limiting and didn't capture many other car developments/manufactures, Hudson, Kaiser-Fraiser, Studabaker, Reo (didn't mention Oldsmobile leaving GM in 1914), Pontiac invented by GM in 1926,  DeSoto, etc.

2. Many facts just plain wrong. Big ones that I noticed include implying the Chevrolet invented the overhead valve V8 in 55, no mention of Oldsmobile Rocket-88 in 1949 or Cadillac; implying that Ford captured the futuristic modeling after the war in 1949 when it was Oldsmobile with the 98 series in 1948 that was first with its new "futuramatic body" body style.

3. While Ford centric, no mention of flat-head V8 invented in 1932. How could they miss that? First mention of the flat-head V8 was around the 1949 Ford. What?

4. Dates kept jumping around, e.g., discussion about the 64 mustang, then sudden jump to 1973 and the gas embargo, etc.

5. Other important threads completely removed. Biggest one is the corvette and the t-bird started in 1953 and 1955 respectively. How could they miss those??

Mike

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, Terry Bond said:

I

For strict "Shut up and Eat your Popcorn" value I'd give it a C+ with rather poor/stiff acting being a disappointment.

For historical value and accuracy - we'll let's have some more popcorn!

Terry

Shame on Terry for being so unfair.  This is the modern era !  Get with it, Terry....!  Of course the show is modern journalism...its purpose is to fill air-space between commercials.    

Not clear where Terry would get the idea these people have the least interest in real technological history.....

For Terry to criticize these folks for trying to make a living selling advertising,  is just plain unkind....! 

Now...please excuse me while I go back to my lunch of CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD,  washed down with CLASSIC COKE....!  .......durn......must stop to tie my CLASSIC shoe-laces.......then I will go out driving around in my ANTIQUE  1996 Toyota Corolla.....to see if they have the  faucet  washer I need at CLASSIC PLUMBING.....!

I became interested in cars during the summer of 1959. Since them my interest has been intense for all facets or the hobby and industry.

If a 25 year old lackey  was documenting my experience through Google searches I am sure they would figure a way to get a picture like this into my story.

1.jpg

Over 12 years of combined editorial experience......edit- I mean 8.

p174ramj63un1876vfea9211j79-details.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

If ever publish an autobiography, will need to be fiction - no one would ever believe it.

BTW have not been elsewhere, my Internet and phone service from AT&T went away on Monday and is still out with no information on what happened but seems to be effecting at least four states. Am using a backup system that works but is not pleasant.

• 2 years later...