What's new in the Buick Bugle?

BUICK RACER

Well, I thought about this the other day, as Lamar(Mr. Earl) gets the honor to write about this Forum in the Buick Bugle, why not start a thread here about what's in the Bugle? I was very intrigued by Alan Oldfield's message in the August 2017 edition and here it is for those of you that may not yet belong to the BCA but might have some thoughts to share. Thanks,

Alan Oldfield.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I always asked folks if they would like to sit in my 47. It was a nice 20 footer and the smiles I brought to both young and old  that made it worthwhile.

I also got stories about Dad / Uncle/ Grandfather having one and they rode in it when they were young. 

14 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

The next step is how do we instill the respect for other's property while allowing this to happen. My mom used to get upset at my dad's friends with rivets in their jeans when they would lean on her car/s. Grown men of course! usually!

The real damage came when the idiots would sit on the fender then slide off. 

Good idea for a thread 'berta!  ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

You need to have some common sense and watch for idiots.  Also educate the public on common sense.

As Forest Gump said, "you can not fix stupid".

Unfortunately, they don't come wearing warning lights or a sign.  LOL  I once had a fellow BCA person walk up to our car and place his foot up on the front bumper.  I refrained from hurting him.

Loren@65GS.com

• Haha 1

The observed problem is that the "stupids" and "idiots" don't perceive themselves as such.  They have NO comprension of it, either.  For some, "cars" are "things" that are to be used and thrown away when they are finished with them.  Others have different orientations.

On one of my cars, I'd cleaned and buffed the paint until it was shiny again, but it also thinned it somewhat.  So keeping it waxed was the best protection.  It was in my shadetree shop.  Some dust had settled on it.  I had a magazine laying near the edge of the hood.  A friend and his wife came by one evening.  While there, she touched the magazine and made it slide.  Yep, the dust particles put visible scratches in the paint.  Not much I could do or say, except put some glaze on it later.

When I was little, I was taught to respect the property of others.  But I was also told to share my toys with visitors who might want to play with them.  Sometimes, I protested as I didn't feel the visitor would use the same care in handling them that I did, to the point of possibly breaking them.  I ended up putting them away when company came.  Somewhere, there's a comfortable place to display and share the efforts of our vehicular investments.

NTX5467

Just yesterday I had the 56 out for a trip to the farm market.  When I got there a young woman with her son who looked to be 9-11 years old approached and asked what type of car this was?  "A Buick" she told her son.  That's when real cars were made!  Look at this, the chrome, the colors!  You don't see that in cars today.  Her son was kinda tongue tied.  So I asked if he would like to sit in it?  "Well, I'm not sure..." and the mom interjects, yes, you need to sit in it!  So we went over and I opened the door.  The boy was kinda nervous and he only sat in it for a moment.  Meanwhile someone came in with a new Camaro with redline tires on it.  The Mom says, see that, that new car is trying to copy this one.  Look at the red on those tires, But look at the red on this tire,  pointing at the red rims, "This is the real thing!"

I could not help thinking yikes, I wonder if this kid will ever grow up to think old cars are special, or to be avoided.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I read that article too, and I darn near dropped the magazine.  Roberta, the next step is to get the cars parked in chronological order on the national meet show field so that the viewing public can witness the evolution of the Buick automobile/truck through the years.  IF Alan Oldfield will allow this to be done this will be single biggest thing that can be done to retain membership from not renewing.  He has the chance right here to go down in BCA history as the second best BCA President EVER.  Paul Meyer will always have the distinction of being the best ever.  There have been some very good folks hold that slot, but, Paul was the best.  Now, about the public and our cars on display.  I do not mind if someone wants to touch our cars in the process of learning about them.  If I or Barbara are with the car there is absolutely no problem.  If we are not with the car then we feel that folks should keep their hands to themselves.  I do not want anyone pulling on this or trying to open that while knowing nothing about what they could do if it is not done correctly.  Common courtesy should always be the rule of the day in situations like this.  Larry is right on about Forest Gump.  Stupidity Just Cannot Be Fixed!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

8 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

I agree with your policy , 

i have let many folks sit in or take photos of their friends or family in car  , whilst I was there , but as already mentioned on another thread , left car outside top hotel while we were eating , came out and there were two children standing on hood with their shoes on!!

sacre bleu!!

Wtf!  I would lose it right there...

Our friends came with us to an art show and their grandchildren came out later obviously with their parents so I knew them. Both the parents and the kids grandparents told them to be careful while in the car and they were but the smile on their faces about says it all.

598c5bb762573_BevBob-Grandkids-TrevorKevin-RonstockJun172017-pic3.thumb.JPG.e148c871362bbb3c212f0fbf235f5a8b.JPG

The big difference for me is that I don't have tens of thousands of dollars invested in restoring my car and heaven for bid a scratch or a bit of a scuff in the upholstery happens, well, she is already a well worn automobile. Not saying I don't care but know even just moving it around in the garage things can and do happen. 

Respect by the public is the key and there will always be the lack of it now and again..... 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

Terry, I thought the PWD guys and similar guys had taken over the BOD so I am not sure why it matters what the President wants?  I thought any BOD member could get the ball rolling on changes to meets and by-laws, and the President only has one vote. 

Not true.

Good grief, is THIS thread really the place to get off on this tangent again. Take it somewhere else guys, like start a dedicated thread to it or something, but I'll give fair warning, don't get into any bashing of persons or positions there either. 

The "Presidents Message" wasn't the only good article in the Bugle this month, may I suggest someone bringing up another one for discussion? Please.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Good grief, is THIS thread really the place to get off on this tangent again.

Geez!  I see I was quoted and before I got a chance to read it it disappeared.  Did I really say something that sparked controversy?????  LOL

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Geez!  I see I was quoted and before I got a chance to read it it disappeared.  Did I really say something that sparked controversy?????  LOL

Don't look at me, :) I haven't deleted anything... yet. Must've been whoever quoted you that deleted it.