soft top installation

ok..here we go...removed my old black cloth top and put the new old top exactly where the old one was seated...had to adjust the height of the pulldown motor for about 10mm...everything looks good so far...but, as you can see in the pics, it does not perfectly sit ..played around with the adjustment screws but not sufficient - there is just too much of a gap between the top and the receiving surface. it looks perfect from the outside!

any ideas on how to make it fit  again?

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

Here's something that worked very well for me.  The replacement top fits right and does not leak (unlike my hardtop).  Keep in mind I replaced a badly worn tan canvas top with an excellent black Hartz cloth top - so that change may have had something to do with the improvement, but here's what I did.

1).  Install the top, but do not tighten the 6 bolts which hold the top in place.

2).  Secure the top to the windshield header as tightly as possible with as precise side to side alignment as possible.

3).  Tighten the 6 bolts, then close the tonneau and check to make sure that the rear latch pull down blades are centered perfectly within the holes in the tonneau.

4).  If necessary (and it probably will be necessary), slightly loosen the 6 bolts and adjust so the pull down blades are exactly centered.  Repeat until you get it right.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Reaper1 said:

Are you sure that the front of the top isn't sealed against the header? My top looks exactly the same as your pictures when I have it fastened and it is sealed fine. My pins don't line up or engage the holes in the header at all! LOL

nope...it does not seal at all..it touches the header but wind blows through it...I'll loosen the 6 bolts and try to re align...

One thing I can say for certain is that if the top has been retracted for a long time it may just need to relax. When I first put the soft top up on mine I couldn't get it to stay latched in the rear pull-down and the front at the same time. I left the top up for a few days (not latched) and I was able to finally get it to latch, but it was SUPER tight!

Did your original top have shims under the frame where it bolts to the car? As far as I can remember all 3 of the ones I've messed with have had them, and I also seem to remember they all were the same, but that's not to say it couldn't change from car to car. Just something else to consider....

11 minutes ago, Reaper1 said:

One thing I can say for certain is that if the top has been retracted for a long time it may just need to relax. When I first put the soft top up on mine I couldn't get it to stay latched in the rear pull-down and the front at the same time. I left the top up for a few days (not latched) and I was able to finally get it to latch, but it was SUPER tight!

Did your original top have shims under the frame where it bolts to the car? As far as I can remember all 3 of the ones I've messed with have had them, and I also seem to remember they all were the same, but that's not to say it couldn't change from car to car. Just something else to consider....

I suspect, it was never used once! I installed it in the same spots with the shims underneath and before I latched it for the first time, I adjusted the pull down motor height - it was super tight so I tried to find a way to make it a little looser and at the same time, closing without letting a breeze through it...will try to make it fit perfectly!

If you can, put the soft top up without latching it and let it sit in the sun a couple of days. After it's sat for a few days, while it's warm then try to latch it. I always latch/lock the pull-down first, then the front header so that there's not a lot of stress on the pull-down.

• 3 weeks later...