Alternator/generator

PETEPONTIAC-1

An alternator has a higher charging current output. It will not use more. The car radio may be playing up because of electrical noise from your spark plugs and wires.

Why are you thinking of changing?

If your lights are dim, check the earth. Paint is a poor conductor so all contacts must be bare steel. Remember, the lights earth through the body work.

Earth in our language = ground in North America.

• Like 1

Generators typically do not have much charging output at idle and low speed operation.  Alternators are better in this operating range and are therefore better at keeping the battery charged.  Cars that do long distance drives typically are fitted with alternators for peace of mind operation during these runs.  For the short drives I did with my 1937 Dodge I ran the original generator and I carried a spare just in case of problems with it.

Terry

Hi Pete,

From a purely electrical standpoint the alternator will be better than a generator. The alternator will have a higher output current and therefore will charge the battery better/quicker at lower engine speed. As for radio noise it is a crap shoot.  Generators tend to make a radio "pop" slightly and alternators tend to make them whine slightly.  If all connections are clean and tight, especially ground and chassis connection points it is minimal and a simple large filter capacitor will generally fix the problem. As said above the alternator will also charge very well at low engine speed while the generator will not. Also, if you intend to add brighter lights, electric fans, fuel pump or any electric accessory the alternator will help a lot with the power requirements.  With that said, myself, I tend to be one of those all origional guys. I could not stand to see a modern alternator in the engine bay of my 37. Hope this helps your decision...