MrEarl

Buicks and the Great Outdoors - Camping and Trailering

1 hour ago, dons56 said:

Just guessing I went with my parents from Lansing, Michigan to Nova Scotia.   It was great traveling the Trans Canadian highway.  .  That was back in the day you could just drive there and answer a few questions when you crossed the border.  Oh, and I am old...

Those were good days before the politics of terrorism has taken over.  Miss those times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dons56 said:

Am I green?  Four pre 1920 Buicks.  How wonderful...

They just keep following me home.  My wife likes her Synergy Green Camaro the best, I think.

• Haha 1

Off to a Car & Boat Show...

5ac2b431b3526_1958BuickSpecial-Summer2006-pic1-Copy.thumb.jpg.c7515742b29cc3b81449fa3568c58752.jpg

Not two miles from home and the brakes blew! 

That was 13 years ago...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

1942WesternTrlrLA.jpg

Son I can assure you this is no joke, we at the State Patrol have no sense of humor.

• Haha 1

Hmmmm, that disappearing 'clamshell' tailgate...  I consider that one of GM's ideas that sounded great conceptually, but fell short as implemented.  Sorry to say, but Ford's 2-way tailgate was "a better idea" in this case...

6CEB8916-C068-49E8-9EBD-85819EDAA3C9.jpe

141807432170_3.jpg

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmmm, that disappearing 'clamshell' tailgate...  I consider that one of GM's ideas that sounded great conceptually, but fell short as implemented.  Sorry to say, but Ford's 2-way tailgate was "a better idea" in this case...

141807432170_3.jpg

My 94 Roadmaster Wagon does both- opens as a door or as a tailgate.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

My 94 Roadmaster Wagon does both- opens as a door or as a tailgate.

The also have the 2-way tail gate from 77 through 90.   I really loved the novelty of the clamshell though!

1 hour ago, dmfconsult said:

The also have the 2-way tail gate from 77 through 90.   I really loved the novelty of the clamshell though!

Yes, at least the General knew when to concede on this one.  I think those wagons like yours were the best -- and I'll bet Lamar will agree!  ;)

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, JZRIV said:

14c3d807e664d06f_landing.jpg

Absolutely love this cars and looking like a train does it get any better. Probably pulling that brick down the pike brought the gas mileage down to almost nothing but look at the great looks you would get, lol.  Does anyone know if this was privately built or did a trailer company offer it? 

• Like 1

The GM clamshell B-car tail gate had its good points, BUT the main thing it didn't have was to allow an extended load area.   In more current times, that clamshell would be power-driven rather than spring-counter-weighted which would have made it even more neat.  If it was pneumatic, using a reservoir from the auto leveling system's compressor, it might have made those sounds like the compartment doors on "Star Trek"?  Trying to do a push-pull vac mechanism like the Corvette headlights would have been a "FAIL".

All in all, the "Ford Idea" was better, lighter weight, less bulky, and fits a more squared-off body architecture better.

NTX5467

Yeah, but if you've ever seen a clamshell tailgate open and close in person, they are way cool!  That's all that matters now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TxBuicks said:

Yeah, but if you've ever seen a clamshell tailgate open and close in person, they are way cool!  That's all that matters now.

We had two Estate Wagons.  Both 1973.  The clam shell gates worked great.   

This was me in 1973.  I was 8 years old.  Our estate wagon was maroon color.  When I went to college I purchased a used 73 estate wagon.   She had just over 100k on the ticker.  The clam shell door worked well also.  

• Like 2

On 4/10/2018 at 9:17 AM, TxBuicks said:

The only improvement would have been rear-facing seats (and shoulder harnesses).

On 14/03/2018 at 6:26 PM, Buick 55 said:

hi guys,

my name is Pascal and i lve in France. :)

my baby is a 55 Buick Special 4 doors hardtop.

And with my wife and kids, we have three old caravans ( 2 french : Notin Chaumière 1956, and Notin Vedette 1964 / and the third one is a belgium one : Constructam Coral 1971 )

here are some pictures i hope you will like ...

5aa93d9371333_BuicketNotin.thumb.JPG.d878887f09ab52236928f43204157f11.JPG

our 55 Buick Special with our french caravan Notin Chaumière 1956

20170717_105344.thumb.jpg.dbfc0c5f7d9a02fc7f2e6c9dee01e84a.jpg 

our 55 Buick Special with our french caravan Notin Vedette 1964

20160805_181518.thumb.jpg.7d806d6fd3210983f35c2d56193b09e6.jpg

our 55 Buick Special with our Belgium caravan Constructam Coral 1971

Tres belle jetaime

• Like 2

Indeed you are, great photo and thanks for sharing. Plus I'd love to know the source of that photo. I believe that is the same custom Buick that was advertised here some time back and I've been wondering what ever happened to it. Would love to hear that you bought it?