Buicks and the Great Outdoors - Camping and Trailering

MrEarl

On 2/3/2018 at 3:49 AM, Pilgrim65 said:

Can’t believe the size of caravan in one of the black and white photos above must be 40/50 ft long , how does that mother tow round corners!! And bet that super or roadmaster needed some welly going up hills. ?

“welly”  ?

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2018 at 9:49 PM, MrEarl said:

“welly”  ?

Hi Lamar 

Welly is an English phrase derived from wellingtons boots , wet weather  footwear , name derived from Duke of Wellington of Waterloo fame against Napoleon 

we say, give it some welly meaning , put the boot down , or when pushing or pulling we use it too meaning push or pull harder. A person with some welly has strength.

In this case put foot hard on Gas !

Another thing about wellies is here in Uk , you know the brits are class conscience and the aristocracy, old money and posh horse crowd wear green wellington boots with their tatty burburie weatherproof coats . We call them the ‘green welly brigade’ 

when on holiday in Scotland that’s what our Queen ‘s attire is most days !

English slang lesson over for today ??

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

2008-6-25_69BuickSptWgnwShastaWeb-Large.jpg.be44c9fa83f5783baf30fafa2b6bf533.jpg

Hmmm, wonder where he got them vintage looking trailerin mirrors from?........

This looks almost exactly like the set up my parents had when I was a young guy except they had a '68 sport wagon 400 without the roof racks and  not a '69.  Slightly different trailer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll have to take a good look up in the attic of Dad's garage.

I believe there are a set up there that he used on his 1959 Pontiac Parisienne when towing a large 8 sleeping pop-up camper one vacation in 1967.

• Thanks 1

hi guys,

my name is Pascal and i lve in France. :)

my baby is a 55 Buick Special 4 doors hardtop.

And with my wife and kids, we have three old caravans ( 2 french : Notin Chaumière 1956, and Notin Vedette 1964 / and the third one is a belgium one : Constructam Coral 1971 )

here are some pictures i hope you will like ...

5aa93d9371333_BuicketNotin.thumb.JPG.d878887f09ab52236928f43204157f11.JPG

our 55 Buick Special with our french caravan Notin Chaumière 1956

20170717_105344.thumb.jpg.dbfc0c5f7d9a02fc7f2e6c9dee01e84a.jpg 

our 55 Buick Special with our french caravan Notin Vedette 1964

20160805_181518.thumb.jpg.7d806d6fd3210983f35c2d56193b09e6.jpg

our 55 Buick Special with our Belgium caravan Constructam Coral 1971

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no picture of my Buick pulling the boat but...

It is the Great Outdoors, My 15' Lyman, My Girl (my now Wife), on the shore at my parents cottages (North Shore of Lake Erie)...

5ab6e70db97a0_1963Lymanonbeach(LakeErie)at934PointPeleeDrLeamingtonsummer1977-Copy.thumb.jpg.083c784bd18d237d62654d737d29ad20.jpg

The only thing better than that moment... was the evening ride back to the boat ramp.

5ab6e77fa82a6_1963Lymaneveningboatrideatcottages-summer1977-Copy.thumb.jpg.2449167cc679bec4e0b795963b1bed55.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dons56 said:

I guess it was before the maple leaf flag which means you must be really old... LOL  

:lol::D:lol: NO not Old at all just old before my time!

I had to be different! What 19 year old kid drove a 1958 OLD MAN Buick in the 70's? (hence the flag B)

Just guessing I went with my parents from Lansing, Michigan to Nova Scotia.  After all these years I don't remember too many details other than we went as far east as we could.  It was great traveling the Trans Canadian highway.  Some of it was under construction.  That was back in the day you could just drive there and answer a few questions when you crossed the border.  Oh, and I am old...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dons56 said:

The boat looks like a dandy.  Still have it?

Keeping with the Great Outdoors part of the thread?

Thanks on the boat. It was indeed in good shape and I redid the paint and decks that summer. Trailered it further up north and did the western section of the Trent Severn system the next year (with the now wife...) 

All boaters get two foot fever and after getting married bought a 20 foot Bayliner and so on...

Sold the Lyman to a fellow from New Brunswick who was here due to the off season fishing there. 

I miss the Lyman especially because it would look great behind the Special today.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dons56 said:

Just guessing I went with my parents from Lansing, Michigan to Nova Scotia.   It was great traveling the Trans Canadian highway.  .  That was back in the day you could just drive there and answer a few questions when you crossed the border.  Oh, and I am old...

Those were good days before the politics of terrorism has taken over.  Miss those times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, that disappearing 'clamshell' tailgate...  I consider that one of GM's ideas that sounded great conceptually, but fell short as implemented.  Sorry to say, but Ford's 2-way tailgate was "a better idea" in this case...

6CEB8916-C068-49E8-9EBD-85819EDAA3C9.jpe

141807432170_3.jpg

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmmm, that disappearing 'clamshell' tailgate...  I consider that one of GM's ideas that sounded great conceptually, but fell short as implemented.  Sorry to say, but Ford's 2-way tailgate was "a better idea" in this case...

6CEB8916-C068-49E8-9EBD-85819EDAA3C9.jpe

141807432170_3.jpg

My 94 Roadmaster Wagon does both- opens as a door or as a tailgate.

1 hour ago, dmfconsult said:

The also have the 2-way tail gate from 77 through 90.   I really loved the novelty of the clamshell though!

Yes, at least the General knew when to concede on this one.  I think those wagons like yours were the best -- and I'll bet Lamar will agree!  ;)

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, JZRIV said:

14c3d807e664d06f_landing.jpg

Absolutely love this cars and looking like a train does it get any better. Probably pulling that brick down the pike brought the gas mileage down to almost nothing but look at the great looks you would get, lol.  Does anyone know if this was privately built or did a trailer company offer it? 

• Like 1

The GM clamshell B-car tail gate had its good points, BUT the main thing it didn't have was to allow an extended load area.   In more current times, that clamshell would be power-driven rather than spring-counter-weighted which would have made it even more neat.  If it was pneumatic, using a reservoir from the auto leveling system's compressor, it might have made those sounds like the compartment doors on "Star Trek"?  Trying to do a push-pull vac mechanism like the Corvette headlights would have been a "FAIL".

All in all, the "Ford Idea" was better, lighter weight, less bulky, and fits a more squared-off body architecture better.

NTX5467