1955 Motorama Oldsmobile Delta 88 concept wheels rims cast aluminum GM

I have a set of 4 original cast aluminum rims off of the 1955 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Motorama concept car. These are one of a kind wheels and are super rare. I got these from a man who purchased them from a friend that said he got them at a junkyard in Detroit in 1962. These would make excellent collection pieces for GM or concept collectors. These could also probabaly be used still with some fabrication due to the unusual rear mount lugs. They have some scratches here and there but no cracks or bends. They could also use a good cleaning. I am currently taking offers on these wheels since it is hard to put a definite price on them but I am motivated to sell! Please email joelj0602@hotmail.com

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

The fact that the wheels were ever separated from the car in the first place kind of points towards the conclusion that the car was probably destoyed.

What a shame. :(

Contact Joe Bortz, the show/concept car collector. He will be interested. Tell him John Keiser sent you. He doesn't know me, but maybe he will send me a finder's fee. Hahahahahahahahaha.

http://bortzautocollection.com/

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Boy if he or someone else has some museum type area to display these with some nice period photos of the car, especially atleast one large one,  that would make for a nice display.  Could be the only existing parts left from this car and that seems to be the hey day of Dream cars. 

36 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Boy if he or someone else has some museum type area to display these with some nice period photos of the car, especially atleast one large one,  that would make for a nice display.  Could be the only existing parts left from this car and that seems to be the hey day of Dream cars. 

That is what Joe Bortz is all about. He has the display area that they should be housed in.

That would be nice to see them go to that sort of home,  especially if he lets people in to see the stuff.  I used to have lots of neat stuff on my walls , not to mention the Cord in the middle of my shop on a major road.  It was nice (when I wasn't trying to get work done)  to have people stop in and be like a kid in a candy shop looking at all the signs and car paraphernalia.

Now my smaller shop is here at the house,  unfinished so all my signs are in the attic or stowed away in my closet in the house.  (good thing I don't have many suits)   It's amazing just how much stuff you can neatly stack away.  Of course I don't get to enjoy any of it now.  Once the smaller garage is finished and I get the new one up,  I'll have alot more space and can start putting my stuff back on display. 

Looks like they might be finally setting the forms for concrete the end of next week.  I had to hire the excavator to come back and fix a couple of washes as well as line all the banks with shot rock to keep them from washing any more.  They weren't too bad but I want all that done before we build.  It was a whole lot easier to do in advance than having to try to work around the building. 

Guest David_Temple

That photo of the 88 Delta is one I colorized for my book, "GM's Motorama: The Glamorous Show Cars of a Cultural Phenomenon," published nearly 12 years ago. I am going to file suit for it being used here without my permission. JUST KIDDING. :-) I still remember coloring in all those stripes on those shirts! Just a guess on the colors of the clothing but figured it was all color-coordinated since it was a publicity photo taken by GM Photographic Services. The fact those wheels are not with the 88 Delta is not a good sign - looks like that one has not survived. It was one of the most striking cars created for any GM Motorama! What a loss to us enthusiasts! I had about half-way expected that it still existed partly because I suspect this one was a running car. GM published an "engineering report" on this car. It was not deeply technical, but it gave an official horsepower rating (xxx hp at xxxx rpm) rather than just a number (i.e., 300hp) as well as a maximum torque rating for the engine. I have never seen the level of detail for any of the others. A running concept car had a better chance of survival than a non-running one.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the backs of these, I'm wondering how they were mounted. 2 have bolts, the other 2 show threaded holes. Unless those ringed faces come off/cover lug studs/nuts, it seems it would be very difficult to mount them. What's visible in the hub hole might indicate that the faces come off, so perhaps it's :
1. mount wheel center with lug studs

2. install ringed cover plate

3. mount 6-lug rim

Either way; an incredible piece of history!

Edited by WQ59B (see edit history)

• 1 month later...