Towing with an Enclave - Anybody done it

MrEarl

On August 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM, MrEarl said:

I went to to the Enclave forum and while some owners report good experience towing boats and small trailer, it appears the general consensus there is the enclave  wasn't designed as a tow vehicle and while it "can" tow the 4,500 lbs. it's a strain on the engine/transmission and does not handle well.

I also got a pm from a previous Enclave owner who didn't wish to "sound like some sour fart" but I will add it here as it somewhat answers the  "who's done it" part of my question. 

Stick with those Silverados, even a Tahoe. I had an Enclave and that 220 cubic engine wasn't fit to haul itself around. I hated driving it and wished it had a 5.3 every time I got in.

I could run down the NYS Thruway at 75 and get 20 MPG just like my Silverado, but if I took the secondary road home, over the rolling hills, it was a pig. I can't imagine hauling a trailer with it.

All of these advertised HP ratings are for high RPM engines with low torque. They start with 6 speed transmissions and add more gears every year. I was never so happy to see a car go as I was when I turner in the Enclave. You can trace it back to a Fiat chassis, you know.

Rita and I talked and with all things considered will probably be looking into using a Tahoe. While I have a crew cab 03 Silverado that would certainly handle the job, it is starting to get a few miles on it plus  my hound dog doesn't find the back seat very comfortable for stretching out in. 

So thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice! ?

If a Tahoe is good, a Suburban is better !!  Twenty (20") inches more length overall, longer wheelbase for better towing with more stability.

We have 2001 and 2004 Tahoe models for the daughter and the grandson, and they are fine as they are designed. 

For any really serious work, everyone wants to borrow my 2500 Series Suburban with the 8.1L engine. Probably one of the best and most dependable vehicles we've ever owned. It has hauled our enclosed car haulers nearly 160,xxx miles without complaint. Only repair? The HVAC head unit was replaced when it became difficult to regulate the heat (which we rarely use down here in New Orleans).

The 2500 Series has a heavier chassis, brakes, steering, suspension, etc., all for your towing safety!

PS: our 2006 Avalanche 8.1L 4-WD is a great alternative, as well !

Trailer-Suburban Left Rear.JPG

Trailer-Suburban Right Rear.JPG

Trailer-Suburban Front Left.JPG

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...