Beemon

Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

2 minutes ago, 1956322 said:

Oh! Forgot to ask.. Does that box bolt right up to the steering rag joint or??? I don't understand why the kit comes with that u joint but then he shows pictures of it bolted to the factory rag joint

No, you need to buy a rag joint conversion for it to work. I'll get you part numbers when I put it together over spring break, hopefully

• Like 1

Oh! Forgot to ask.. Does that box bolt right up to the steering rag joint or??? I don't understand why the kit comes with that u joint but then he shows pictures of it bolted to the factory rag joint

53355762_410750116421119_448480811465834496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=2d5d6d6666f1ab575520792bb1bfcc8d&oe=5CE0592C

53026396_2264003820593641_128468119705354240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=93c041be1ab2c761c70461898cebba68&oe=5D0EEEDB

There was nothing to it (except laying on my back in the snow for an hour and a half trying to figure this stupid "easy install" chain link). The good ladder chains are at home and way too expensive to ship, so once I'm back for spring break, I'll definitely be using my big boy chains and not this baby chain stuff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Holy Moley you are getting some snow aren't you! 😟

I cannot remember the last time I saw chains on a passenger car

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I cannot remember the last time I saw chains on a passenger car

Studded snow tires are expensive!

Here's some more:

Image may contain: car and outdoor

This was the spot I got into last night

This is the spot I just got in to. As you can see, some people still haven't left their spots (yellow car on the left) because it just gets piled up behind them to the point where you need a shovel, a pick axe and some good tires.

I can't remember seeing people use chains, either, in my entire life. However, I did see someone else on campus with chains so I didn't feel alone. I'm sure if the car had a posi, I could have gotten out. One tire would grip, the other wouldn't. Then, when I had chains on one tire, that tire did nothing and the tire without chains would spin... It was a vicious cycle.

The other night it was -8, I was glad to see that there wasn't a pool of anti-freeze underneath the car. That would have been rough.

• Like 4

Too bad you didn't have the Jeep there at this point!   But I hope it all melts soon.  If nothing else I hope all that West Coast storm activity has done something to alleviate the persistent droughts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No photo description available.

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: one or more people and car

Image may contain: car

No photo description available.

Well, I was looking to replace the front grill pieces since they had been broken either from an unspoken parking lot fender bender or car port abuse. I guess now is as good as any time to do it.

I was coming home from the university last night and was traveling around 65-70 MPH on Highway 26. About 10 miles outside of the town of Washtucna, this ample sized doe jumped down off of an embankment and right into the front of the car. I am pretty sure the deer did not suffer, and the death was instantaneous. When I found it over the ledge along the highway, all that was left of it was four legs and a head. All the damage seems to be cosmetic and I did not puncture the radiator. 

In this scenario, there was nothing I could have done. I've been in a few of these situations before, so I did not apply the brakes until after the deed was done (not that I would have time to), and thankfully I did not swerve to miss as I think that would have assured the destruction of the car and myself, given the state of the steering box (thanks LC). This all happened probably around 7:30 PM. That's usually the "witching hour" for active nocturnal animals this time of year.

After contacting Washington State Patrol, they told me on record to continue on if I felt the car could make it and to keep a look out for any dangerous, erratic behavior from the car. I eventually made it to Othello, where I collected my thoughts and removed the front fender spear. Thankfully, it was not broken and did not deform from the collision - about the only good thing in the aftermath. I carried on all the way home. This car has always given me more than 100%. Destroyed cylinder walls, , punctured radiators, bad steering box and pump, three generators, a starter failure, brake failure and so much more. I've come too far to let these setbacks hinder my enjoyment and plan to fully bring the car back.

That being said, I am meeting with the insurance company later today to appraise the damage and cost of repairs, as well as finalizing the state patrol report. Once I know exactly how much I'll be getting back, I'm going to use my credit card for the bulk purchase and pay it off when the check arrives (if I even get one). The optimist in me says I can get back on the road by the end of the week if I structure my time on break. Right now, this is the itemized list of things I need moving forward:

• Driver side Century fender
  • Century/Special Hood
  • 'Grill
  • Grill Emblem
  • Mustache
  • Bumper Bib (that part that goes on the bottom of the radiator core support and acts as a loose seal between the bumper and the radiator on the bottom)
  • Hood latch support
  • Driver side inner fender
  • Headlight Bezel

The metal is so mangled that I do not think it can be pulled. I have seen amazing work done on these forums, but the fact of the matter is that I do not have the space, time, tools or the money to invest in an operation to fix these parts myself.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to have been in a modern car. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Man, so sorry to read and see this! Fortunately you were not hurt! And it looks like, according to your list, you should be able to find/replace all of the parts! You are in severe need of some “good luck” with your car! Hang in there! Not what you had planned for spring break!

Gary

• Like 2

Sounds like you have the right attitude to get it fixed...glad you're ok, and that's all that matters.  I live in a rural area and I've had some really really close calls with deer, but no hits yet.

Fortunately, they made 600 gazillion 56 Buicks, so hopefully parts won't be a huge issue.  Car has fresh paint so it shouldn't be too hard to match it. 

• Like 2

x2!  Glad that considering the worst case scenario you are OK and the damage is relatively minor (though I know it doesn't feel that way).  On the bright side, given the age of the paint-job they should be able to give you a good color match...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Getting a check from the insurance company may be the worst part of this ordeal, or may I say getting an appropriate check.  With regular car insurance I am afraid they will likely consider the car a total loss as they will not want to consider the cars value as a collector vehicle regardless of the fact that it is a solid western car, as evidenced by the limited damage. Is the hood really unsalvageable?   The key here may be to reduce the list of parts needed and to have a price range for those absolutely needed, in order to get better than salvage value. 

All this assumes you have regular car insurance, and not collectors insurance like Hagerty for instance. 

Wish I had some of those parts to give to you!  

• Like 1

Probably not the most important thing at this point but did you ever figure out the shuddering you were feeling?? Glad you're ok and the car is mostly ok

36 minutes ago, 1956322 said:

Probably not the most important thing at this point but did you ever figure out the shuddering you were feeling?? Glad you're ok and the car is mostly ok

No I didn't, but as John said, the car is most likely going to be considered a total loss so it probably won't matter anyways. 

• Sad 1

Gracious...Matt and now you.  Well, looking over your pictures, it is definitely fixable and it could be worse.  I am sure you are already aware of that.  Could have been worse for you as well...thank God you are okay.  I guess now this adds another chapter to this novel.  I will be checking in.  Take care Ben.

• Like 1

Oh heck man....sorry to see this.  You are in one piece and that is always the best outcome.   The damage looks bad but repairable in my humble opinion.  

As for tire chains I used them infrequently but I never got stuck in snow.  All of the family cars that we had up until maybe 1960 had a box of "Monkey Linksin the glove box to repair broken chains. Just remembered that I have a pair of chains sitting in oil under the cellar stairs. They were used on my old '37 Buick in the 1960's so they may just fit on my current '37! Or maybe the Jeep Wrangler!

Crap. That sucks. Not uncommon out here in Eastern WA. I have had a bunch of near misses this year.

I can tell by looking the damage isn't that bad. Don't let the insurance bully you. If at all possible get them to pay you for the damage so that the title never changes hands (instead of buying it back). Whatever happens, its your car, not theirs. I would start fixing just as soon as the insurance adjuster is done looking.

Whatever you do, make it drivable soon even if it isn't pretty. Don't fall into the trap of having to put it back perfect if the money isn't there. Maybe the fender wont match. Maybe it will be pink or something. Don't worry about it. Get it back on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pushing (or pulling) on the dent in the exact opposite direction it was hit will make a lot of it come out. The closer you can get to exactly reversing the force that made the dent, the more will come out. It may be worth doing before disassembly if parts underneath are bent. Hopefully someone in the forum will have parts. If not, CTC auto ranch in Texas (I have never dealt with them, so no experience there) is showing this Century parts car. LF fender looks good.

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Parts Cars/Buick/1958 and Back/1958 and Back/1956 Buick Century Parts Car 2/1956 Buick Century Parts Car 2.html

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

this Century parts car.

Sweet Biscuits, that parts car has no engine or front tires and it's still going 100 mph!!!  

But besides that, it's a factory air car too!  With most AC parts still on it.  Even the J bars look salvageable! 

Those Texas guys have all the luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, Bloo. I might take more than what I need off that thing...

Seriously guys, the car is not going anywhere. I've been going from local shop to local shop trying to get an insurance adjuster quote and damage and repair and so far it's been looking expensive.

I went down to Vancouver today to scout parts. They had 2 Century's and 2 Specials. All the parts are there, but they are rough. I am still waiting to hear back from L&L Classics and I've been in contact with Desert Valley Auto Parts, too. At Vancouver, they want $960 and that's including a solid, dented fender and a moderately weak hood. DVAP wants $1575 for their parts. There is absolutely nothing local to me on the regular outlets (craigslist, offer up, etc.).

Unrelated, I found this stainless steel A-pillar piece on the white Century 4-door hard top. Does anyone know if this was a retrofit thing?

20190312_144611.jpg

20190312_144604.jpg

20190312_144608.jpg

20190312_144525.jpg

20190312_143656.jpg

• Like 3