Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

Beemon

Got this thing all taken apart, reading all these rebuild guides... and NAPA no longer stocks the repair seal. Also not sure how people keep the brass tabs from getting chewed up, it looks like I mangled mine. My helper Luna quick work of disposing the old seal. Not sure where it went, surely a mystery for the next tenant. 

20230716_195421.jpg

20230716_195643.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Beemon said:

NAPA no longer stocks the repair seal.

Never did stock it in the past 20 years...go to store to order.  Your "mangle" is typical and no one can rebuild twice.  Use a hole saw the diameter of the body of the valve, drill a hole in some wood; the split it to hold valve without deforming it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Still no ranco valve fix, but I did pull the 59-60 oil filter housing off the block and put the original can back on. I did an oil change and found out that the gasket for the valve covers came loose and is flapping around the valves... so shame on me, these edelbrock valve covers have been nothing but trouble and not worth the headache. Some wise men on here once told me (more than once, many times) to put it back the way it was and keep it that way. I'm older now and still not listening! 

Why did I put the oil filter can back on? On the trip to Spokane, my oil pressure kept dropping. The adapter for the 364/401 engines puts the filter straight down, but on a 322, the adapter shoots it at a 45 degree angle right under the exhaust manifold. The filter was getting pretty hot, so I figured I might listen to the old guys and put it back the way the engineers intended, out of the hot zone. The mess has never bothered me anyways, every oil change I've ever done gets messy. I'm sure on single exhaust cars, this probably isn't an issue. 

Anyways, I'll pull the valve covers tomorrow and see if I've got an extra gasket set tomorrow. But at least I can drive Grandpa's Buick to Christmas. 

Also I have not been driving my other Buick, the original tires finally gave out. I need to swap my studs on, but I'll do that after Christmas. 

20231224_180826.jpg

• Like 6