Beemon

Me and my beautiful 1956 Buick

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

...where I could have spent more time...

Sadly that is a universal emotion.

My condolences, Ben.

• Like 1

Ben, just wanted to send my deepest condolences to you and the Fam.  I know you added a richness to your Granddaddy's life, especially with your work on the family Buick.  Be well friend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

Sadly that is a universal emotion.

My condolences, Ben.

Before I went to school, I was the only grandchild that regularly visited. I'd take him to the store or the doctor's, and we'd show up in the old iron. We were pretty famous at the blood clinic at Valley Medical Center, Haha. Anyways, he always called me the enemy because I went to Washington State and he went to UW, and it was tough moving 5 hors away. Granted, my mother did more than I did for him (we both lived 5 minutes away), so he wasn't without help. We would talk at least twice a week, depending on school work loads. And let me tell you, depending on how my head hurts, I don't get up until 1 on Saturday mornings. So I was late to the news by 3 hours.

He always told me to get my junk out of his house: a used 56 Dynaflow,  a 322 engine block and various other parts lying around in and out of the car port. Joking of course, but now I have 30 days.

On the bright side, I don't have to go to two different places to show off the car to my grandparents anymore. 

The Buick is going to lead the procession to his final resting place.

Thank you all for the kind words. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ben, sorry to hear this, but consider the connection you had with him that was enabled and solidified with that old Buick.  Though my '56 Bel Air is not currently road-worthy, it's sitting quietly in my garage waiting for its next (and probably last) rejuvenation.  Often while in the middle of some other mundane task I'll pause and look at it for a minute and recall some memory of my grandparents when the car was still in their garage.  Coincidentally, just this morning at breakfast my father happened to mention his memory of watching my grandfather pull into my grandparent's driveway on Christmas Eve 1955, as the car was my Grandmother's Christmas gift.  It's nice to still have that connection...  -Tim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A little bit happier news tonight, my prototype was printed and mocked up. 

44475393_10157792603695830_8352976723679

44471207_10157792603630830_5456917852655

44460880_10157792603755830_1737485378434

44514324_10157792603820830_2592979727778

It works as it should, but needs a lot of post processing. For instance, although the shaft works fine, it's prone to minor bending. It's nothing to worry about, I must have cycled the linkage a hundred times or more, but I'd prefer it solid instead of with a little flex. I don't have an air cleaner on this side of the mountains, so I might stomach the $25 for a store bought one. I'm heading back home this weekend to visit with the family, and I'll be coming back with a spare stock filter bottom. I'm going to chuck it up on the lathe and spin down the inside, then probably weld in a bottom from the store bought air cleaner. The air valve secondary on this carb makes it very difficult to use adapters.

• Like 3

We found some literature today at my grandpa's house. The original bill of sale and all the showroom tags were found. The car was delivered June 2, 1956. Pictures are soon to follow. 

• Like 8

Okay, I told a fib. No pictures yet, and I ran out of time - already back at school after a very emotional weekend for the family.

I have noticed after my drive back that I'm consuming oil again. I can't find any leaks. I swapped out the aluminum valve covers for my good chrome ones that actually seal, and I'm loosing more. Nothing off the back of the engine that I can see. A lot of the oil marks seem to be below the cylinder heads, but that could also be because I didn't clean the block before putting the heads back on. Last time I checked, compression was good. The valve stems have viton seals.

Any guesses?

I don't have anywhere to work or store the car anymore, so I'm at a complete loss in terms of getting stuff done now. I have teased the idea of removing the engine from the car and going through the bottom end pretty comprehensively. The machine shop that did the heads said it would be about $300 to bore the block and balance the rotating assembly.

25 minutes ago, 1956322 said:

Is it still smoking??

Its hard to say. If it is, it is very unnoticeable. 

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

I have noticed after my drive back that I'm consuming oil again. I can't find any leaks. I swapped out the aluminum valve covers for my good chrome ones that actually seal, and I'm loosing more. Nothing off the back of the engine that I can see. A lot of the oil marks seem to be below the cylinder heads, but that could also be because I didn't clean the block before putting the heads back on. Last time I checked, compression was good. The valve stems have viton seals.

Any guesses?

What volume are you noticing? Pints or quarts per ??? # of miles?

• Like 1

If it is leaking that much you should have oil droplets deposited on the rear bumper and trunk lid...if burning that much it should look like a land based crop sprayer.

Driving in the mountains with a leaking rear seal will cause oil loss when going uphill (oil slosh to back).  Try running 2 quarts low, but check after every 100 miles.

If burning, that is what 20w-50 oil plus STP is for.:o

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Explain, please.

Ben

3 qts missing max. It never drops below 3 qts missing. So there's about 4 qts in the crankcase, which I guess is enough because I've never lost oil pressure. 

• Like 1

How's the oil pan gasket seal?  Did you pull the timing chain cover at any point?  Maybe leaking from the corner of the cover/block/oil pan?

Maybe leaking from the valley cover seal?

I did have a leak at my head gasket near the oil galley passage.  It was quite active there.  This was on the drivers side.  When I cleaned the area with brake cleaner, and dried it good, and then sealed the area with black RTV, the leak stopped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beemon said:

3 qts missing max. It never drops below 3 qts missing. So there's about 4 qts in the crankcase, which I guess is enough because I've never lost oil pressure. 

I would think it is not burning then. The engine, while a good one, is not smart enough to quit burning because the oil level is too low.  Sure the dipstick is the correct one?  Maybe overfilling.  Believe I would take Willies suggestion and see what happens.

Ben

• Like 1

Have you looked at the filter area while the car is running to make sure it's not leaking from there?  That is a LOT of oil to disappear without a trace. 

13 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

How's the oil pan gasket seal?  Did you pull the timing chain cover at any point?  Maybe leaking from the corner of the cover/block/oil pan?

Maybe leaking from the valley cover seal?

I did have a leak at my head gasket near the oil galley passage.  It was quite active there.  This was on the drivers side.  When I cleaned the area with brake cleaner, and dried it good, and then sealed the area with black RTV, the leak stopped.

John, was this at the front or the back? I think it may be leaking from the head gasket. I'll double check. I didn't think it possible to leak from the valley cover. Oil pan and timing cover are okay, timing cover was not messed with.

12 hours ago, 1956322 said:

Did you ever end up installing a modern edelbrock carb?

No not yet, I was going to do it over the weekend but its scheduled for tomorrow most likely. It will give me an excuse to check the heads for leaks. 

10 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I would think it is not burning then. The engine, while a good one, is not smart enough to quit burning because the oil level is too low.  Sure the dipstick is the correct one?  Maybe overfilling.  Believe I would take Willies suggestion and see what happens.

Ben

Dipstick is the correct part number I believe. When I do a full oil change, it takes the correct amount of oil.

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

Have you looked at the filter area while the car is running to make sure it's not leaking from there?  That is a LOT of oil to disappear without a trace. 

Oil filter is tight, it's always the first thing I check after an oil change... that and to make sure I put the drain plug back in! lol

Thank you all for chiming in. I will report back tomorrow.

• Like 2