This weekend Das ( Ouch! ) Fescht, ( Bad Vendor)

Does it start Friday or Thursday  ?  Nothing is being said . Good it is. ,,       BuTTTTT.

An Edit added after attending Friday is below . Original post was a question on if show was this weekend Aug 4,5,6 . Two post below acknowledge that .

The sponsor's of this event better start POLICING there FOOD vendors . They think they own the parks  picnic tables  and can push older people from them  , a buddy and me , who are both disabled , him with walking with a braced crutch and me having to carry and change out my portable oxygen. As I return to my car to retrieve a new tank he waited and was told he must leave or eat now , not when I return as he explained .  Understand this was on Friday a day with half the crowds and show cars and still plenty of empty seats , of which we paid $8 each to enjoy . When I returned I found him standing in the hot sun 50 yards from where we were to eat . When , I wanted to confront the vendor, he stop me and said it is not worth it . We continued on ,but by then a sour taste in both our mouths meant ,one more parts vendor row, to visit the more then friendly vendors of whom some gave us water and other offered ,just for stopping . And a slow walk from shady spot to spot thur last row of vehicles that last enter since we first came in . And out the gate to  a corporate eatery who valves there customers then 90 mile home making a short day for us.

I sit here this Saturday morning ,stewing that I did not confront the a**hole myself . And that the others around most who are at an age they are only one doctors visit from being in our boat said nothing . I know this is the exception to the majority ,but it must stop . I welcome comments from the sponsor . And if this is unsuitable for this forum please remove it . My sincere hope is that years of living ,giving some wisdom ,it can be pasted down that how you treat one person affect many more . Also pray  that this isolated incident is only related to our handicap slowing us down not to the fact my buddy was BLACK.

sincerely  Tom Shultz  

Edited by ArticiferTom
Is , and attended , but, Explain edit of title (see edit history)

Yes, Das Awkscht Fescht is being held this Friday, Saturday and Sunday  August 4th, 5th and 6th.

Click here to see the show's web site.

FYI, last night I spoke with the person running the event as I had a question regarding trailer parking. This year the trailer parking will be available at 150 Locust Street at the Allen Organ Company on Saturday and Sunday. Not sure where trailers can park on Friday since the company is open for business on Friday. The person I spoke with told me he would be putting up signs for trailer parking on Friday and would be speaking with the folks at Allen Organ to confirm what parking areas the show will be using.

Charlie

A T ,   If this event were held in a public venue you and your friend have every right to tell the over active vendor or his/her employee to go take a flying stab at a rolling pastry. I'm with you that this individual need to be told they were over the line .......way over the line. Even if it only served to put the event promoter/sponsor on notice of the vendors actions. One would hope that future events won't leave a bad taste in the attendees mouths or spoil their good time. We oldsters know or should know by now that what goes around comes around even if we aren't there to see it .

I can see this post being  on the road to deletion but what the Hell, I'll bite. Three mistakes were made. Two on Friday and one in your post. The vendor made the first one by not accepting your friends explanation and by not wishing him a good day. Your friend made the second mistake by meekly (I assume) leaving and not requesting to see someone in authority and then if necessary security and making a cogent case for the need to remain in place at least until you returned.

The third mistake was made by you in implying that race played any part in the saga without any evidence ( I assume) of that................Bob

Yes , mistakes were made I should have walked back and challenged the people running the stand . But it was ungodly hot and he did want a seen . I will say I was disappointed in other for not sticking up for him . One lady did come over and try to apologize  for the action, he said .

I have in past as a younger person been told to give my seat to elders ,old school child rearing or regret it later . And as adult did so with pleasure . 

On the third mistake . He thinks it was real reason . I try to be more optimistic . However , As I was out of o2 at the time I sat in same table for 7-10 minutes ahead of him as he stopped at restrooms on way . When he got to me I said wait ,I will go myself no use you limping out to the vehicle too .  And after leaving this happen . He also said other people sat around who did not appear to be eating, as these tables were park property and in line of traffic to one of the egress gates .

I do thank you Bob and Mark for commenting , It is a topic that needed some light . I know car people are better , but the sponsors control there vendors . But decency should control a persons  actions

Thanks again

Tom, sorry I missed you Sat. I was looking for you. This is an unfortunate thing to go through for no good reason. Having met both of you it was completely unwarranted and I hope someone from the car club is reading this. This was probably the worst Macungie show I have been to. I've gone for many years and have considered it my favorite car show. I was told the town council was responsible for converting the best parking lot across from the flea market for volunteers and vendors only. What a stupid move. The flea market was 1/3 full, back field was almost non existent. They could have parked the volunteers in that field and left the prime field for the getting older and crippled spectators. This was ALMOST as stupid as when we had to use coupons to buy food .  I doubt I will be back for either Friday or Saturday show again. Doug

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest M Manwiller

Tom,

I'd like to address your original post regarding the inconsiderate vendor.  It's unfortunate that things like this happen.  I continue to meet a lot of great people at events like Das Awkscht Fescht and Hershey.  However, every once in a while you run into a.......donkey.  I know the park manager, Amy Hillegass, and if she knew about the situation, I'm sure she would have addressed this with the vendor.  Should you want to speak with her, the park phone number is 610-966-4289.  I'm going to forward a link to her of these postings regardless, so that she is aware.

Regarding some of the other comments about the show, we have already begun working on things to make the 2018 show and future shows significantly better.  Our primary goals are to increase the number of cars at the event by increasing the number of clubs that attend on Sunday, growing the military vehicle display for the weekend (which was only there on Saturday this year), and increase the number of flea market vendors.  It's going to take a lot of work to do this, but fortunately a lot of great people have stepped up to make it happen.  2017 was my first year as the show chairman, and although I had been handling Friday and Saturday's show car parking for a few years, I learned very quickly how much I didn't know about everything else.  If you have any additional comments, feedback, or suggestions, please feel free to give me a call or send me a message.  You can reach me at 610-698-5480.  I'd be happy to hear from you.       

Regards,

Matt Manwiller

Ontelaunee Region AACA

Das Awkscht Fescht Committee Chairman