New to me 1989 TC: Help Needed

Guest RickRolld10

Guest RickRolld10

Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1989 Maserati TC that had been sitting in my grandfather's garage for around 6 years, which I recently got running and driving again. It still has a slew of gremlins, and I'm hoping that this community can point me in the right direction to get the car to a more restored condition. 

FUEL ISSUES

The vehicle currently will not accept more than 1/2 of a gallon of fuel at a time when I fill it at the pump. The first time I tried to fill it after getting it running again gas shot backward out of the fuel door and got all over me. The car also fuel starved when I tried to drive up a large hill, but I'm not sure if this was an issue with the fuel flow or the actual level in the tank because the fuel guage doesn't seem to be working. Because the car is also difficult to start, I am under the impression that the vapor canister valve/solenoid is to blame. I haven't been able to locate much resources on the car or this issue, and I'm hoping someone here has experienced what I'm going through. 

I also read somewhere that the first thing to do on an old TC is replace the fuel lines running to and from the pressure regulator, since these hoses are under extreme pressure in relatively close proximity to the turbo. I'm wondering where you guys source this part, my local dealer doesn't carry the part anymore and the big name auto shops near me don't have high pressure hose readily available. 

ELECTRICAL ISSUES

The rear windows (not the opera windows) will not roll up consistently, but the driver and passenger windows are absolutely fine. I think that I need to just go through the car with some electrical corrosion spray, but I'm not sure about the process for removing the door panels, and I really am afraid of damaging them. I'm also not sure about removing the body pieces surrounding the rear windows in order to reach the connections with the window motor. My third brake light is also not working, but I'm pretty sure that's just another corrosion issue and not the bulbs. 

I mostly figure I just need to get my hands on a service manual and flip through it, but I've heard that the Chilton and Hanes manuals don't cover a lot of the interior of the Maserati TC. 

Any input/forum post links that you guys can give me will be well appreciated! 

Edited by RickRolld10 (see edit history)

First I would suggest you read the request from another member in the group who I just answered, 1990 TC seeking advise to appraise value  That will inform you about your possible fuel problems.

As for the rear 1/4 windows. I would suggest just running them down and up several times in order to give the motors some 'exercise'.  It is very difficult to get to those motors and the mechanism. 

I would also suggest looking for the BLUE factory shop manual for the Chrysler TC by Maserati on eBay.

For the fuel lines you can go to just about any auto parts store. You need 5/16" and 1/4" FUEL INJECTION hose (*VERY* important it's for fuel injection). I just did this job yesterday afternoon. The hardest part is getting the old hose off.

For the 1/4 windows...it's probably that the grease is all hardened and gummy. It's possible the motor has given up (I had one that was corroded internally), but more than likely it's the grease. As Hemi mentioned, getting to the 1/4 windows is not easy or fun. The FSM (Factory Service Manual) doesn't really go over it either. You have to remove the stainless door sill trim, the rear interior panel, the seat belt cover panel and then it's *still* a pain to get to! I've done it a few times...can you tell!? LOL

As for the other issues like the fuel spilling out, etc. I'm willing to bet the inside of the fuel tank is a gummy mess if you haven't taken it out and cleaned it.

So yeah, check/replace all rubber fuel and brake hoses. Drop the fuel tank and inspect the inside, clean/replace as needed. That will get it on the way to at least running and being able to safely stop.

Guest RickRolld10
23 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

First I would suggest you read the request from another member in the group who I just answered, 1990 TC seeking advise to appraise value  That will inform you about your possible fuel problems.

As for the rear 1/4 windows. I would suggest just running them down and up several times in order to give the motors some 'exercise'.  It is very difficult to get to those motors and the mechanism. 

I would also suggest looking for the BLUE factory shop manual for the Chrysler TC by Maserati on eBay.

Thanks for all the advice! 

The issue with the rear windows is that the switch does absolutely nothing 95% of the time. If I keep hitting the switch for the driver side 1/4 window it will eventually get current and roll up or down, but it's not predictable in the slightest. The passenger side simply won't move at all. I think that it's just corrosion (hopefully on the switch) since the motor doesn't make any noise or receive current when I hit the switch. 

Do you think that my local dealer might still have one of the blue manuals? I saw one on RockAuto, but the sooner I can get my hands on it the better. 

Guest RickRolld10

I also just started working on the speaker system, only to find that the front speakers produce no sound. The rear four all work and sound decent, but I can't seem to get the fronts to work. I noticed that I am missing the T/DELAY relay located in the underside of the dash. I also think that the power antenna/radio relay (4221570) might be shorted. I can hear music played through the tape deck, but the radio seems to make no sound when I try to use it, AM or FM. The antenna still rises, however. Any ideas why the 4 fronts don't want to work?