Swap Meet Food - Any Stand-Outs?

RansomEli

Most of the food at antique car swaps meets is so-so or less.  Some meets, however, do have some treats worth buying.

The Pomona swap meet has some booths grilling carne asada. The aroma alone sells the tacos/burritos.

Chickasha used to have some private organization run the food service. They had a rather decent Frito Pie. It's a Texas/Oakie thing.

What about other swap meets?

5 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Chickasha used to have some private organization run the food service. They had a rather decent Frito Pie. It's a Texas/Oakie thing.

No exceptionally good food here in Oregon aside from vegetarian options for those wishing to indulge, which is nice to offer. Oddly we had what you call Frito Pie growing up in Indiana and I actually bought the goodies to make them last month as a reminder of my youth, but we called them "Texas Straw Hats" in the Midwest!

Although I haven't been in a few years, the FRIED cheese curds at the Iola Swap Meet and Car Show were amazing.

Carlisle always had some good food vendors. I remember one booth near the back hill that had the best breakfast sandwiches.

When it comes to food, swap meets are  like carnivals. You eat all of the good "bad" food that you don't get at home.

Hershey is tops for sure.  Of course my swap space is located just across from the crab-cake vendor!   I can remember years ago when food service was sketchy and the best available was actually out the back side of the old Blue Field at the Parkview tavern, or one of the several front-porch home based eateries that sprung up during the week.  We've come a long way.

Second choice would have to be Chesapeake Region's annual swap meet at Howard County fairgrounds.  The region handles their own food for the event, and their home-made soup and other goodies always sell out.  

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Years ago I always had to have a large curly fries with vinegar at Dunkirk for lunch. As I got older I still did but paid for it on the ride home with indigestion. Then the last few times I went I just remembered how good they were and ate something less greasy. 

9 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Hershey is tops for sure.  Of course my swap space is located just across from the crab-cake vendor!  

Terry

+1 for the crab cakes at Hershey! They are a yearly tradition for me.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...