Voltage Meter Hot to Touch

Sifua

I was running my 36 Dodge engine to keep it oiled. I noticed that the voltage gauge wasn't registering. I put my fingers up to see if there were loose wires and got butnt. My knowledge of cars is at the beginners stage. Can someone help me repair this problem? Thanks.

Fran,<BR> I presume you meant 'ammeter' instead of 'voltage gauge'? It would seem there is a short inside the gauge. You will probably need to find a replacement. FIRST disconnect the battery, then after it has cooled down, check if there is in fact loose wires on the terminals. If not, and none of the wires are touching the rear of the dash gauge cluster, a replacement of the ammeter would be in order. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

As an electronics engineer speaking: any heat produced at a junction tells me that 1) There is a poor connection causing a voltage drop-Power in watts is current in amps times the resistance in ohms squared. If there is no resistance i.e.no poor connection,then power,i.e. heat, would be zero and you wouldn't be getting burned. 2)The device has TOO much current going through it for it's design i.e. the internal wiring is too thin to carry the current and hence a voltage drop and hence it gets hot. But the pointer should be off scale unless it's stuck on a piece of rust or dead bug. I doubt that the ammeter can't be repaired as it is very simple inside. It uses magnetic induction (no electrical connection) to move a vane that is connected to a pointer and that's it. The 'wire' going through the ammeter is what's called 'buss wire' because it's so thick. It has to,after all, carry all the car's current draw without heating up. I think you'll find a poor connection is the source of your trouble. smile.gif" border="0