Which mahogany on woodies?

Tom Boehm

Most woodies including some Fords had mahogany veneered panels. Generally speaking, there are two types of mahogany, Honduran and African. Honduran is "genuine" mahogany. African is very similar and considered an acceptable substitute as supplies of Honduran dwindle and the price rises. I assumed the original veneer on woodies was Honduran. Some quick research on the internet revealed African mahogany was available in America in the '30s and '40s.  SO THE QUESTION IS: Which mahogany was used on woodies originally?      Disclaimer- I admit that I am way overthinking this because it is hard to tell the difference. Tom Boehm New Albany, IN

If you have clean bare samples to look at, Honduras (sometimes called "American" or "South American") and African mahoganies are not hard to tell apart. However, Ford did not use either. Beginning in 1940 when Ford started offering a darker panel option to Birch, the wood used was Gumwood, aka Red Gum, American Gum, etc.. and it was a domestic tree. The natural color was rather inconsistent so Ford stained the panels.