12 volt conversion

What coil should be used in my '35 DU when converting to 12 volt? I know all the bulbs will need to be changed. What else should I be considering?

The conversion isn't that bad...you will have to change the generator and voltage regulator,I recommend a delco alternator with built in regulator...the starter I have found will continue to operate as advertised, but you will have to make sure not to stay on it to long. Most 12 volt coils will work, and can be used either 6 or 12 volt...rw

12 v. conversion involves a lot more than meets the eyes. Additional to the obvious lamps & generator, are the gas gauge and sender. Why not simply switch battery to one of those OPTIMA dry cell types with a much better crank current and nearly negligable internal resistance, thus load loss. <BR> Check out <A HREF="http://www.optimabatteries.com" TARGET=_blank>www.optimabatteries.com</A> <BR>or 1-888-8OPTIMA.<BR> Works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you converting over to 12V? The cars ran wonderfully at the original 6V. Unless you are from a location (Australia for example) where you just can not obtain 6V batteries, consider having your starter and generator completely rebuilt (and all rewound) for optimum performance, be sure your condenser is fresh, your coil is fresh, and that you have not reversed the polarity of the coil (positive terminal to distributor for positive ground systems, and vice versa) and you should have a lifetime of pleasure with your car. 6V batteries (aside from the highly recommended Optima ref above) and coils are readily available in the USA at farm and tractor stores--frequently on sale!--if not at your local parts stores.

Oh, and another thing,, maybe the most important. make sure you have a good ground to your starter. I keep hearing about guys with sluggish starters blaming it on the starter or the 6V system. Often, new engine paint, plus new paint on starter housing create a poor ground connection. My starter rebuilder (RBR) advised me to run a dedicated ground wire from one of the starter mounting bolts directly to the battery ground cable. This has improved the output and performance of my starter remarkably. I used a standard #1 cable, although RBR suggested even #0 or 00 cable. I hid mine so few can see what I did.<P>On similar subject, be sure to ground your gas tank also. Many of us put a nice heavy coat of paint on the tank, and then lay cork or other material over the straps to prevent chafing and rumble, and the result is we have insulated the tank. A potential spark hazard as well as effectively making the sending unit inoperable.

• 16 years later...

Unless you are from a location (Australia for example) where you just can not obtain 6V batteries

That's certainly not true,  6V batteries including Optima's are readily available here in Australia.   I totally agree however, 6V works fine with the correct battery leads.  

I have three 1920's cars all have 6V batteries and all spin over fine, maybe not as fast as my modern car but more than enough for starting.  

• Like 1