alsancle

American Rolls Royce (Ghost, PI & PII)

From the looks of the brackets, it appears to have had single bar flat bumpers as some

later cars appeared to have.

rrr5.JPG

rrr6.JPG

rr 5.JPG

• Like 2

Hop on the eBay one I linked and then give Ed the same amount for his.   Problem solved.

Looks like a great car, stick with it.

Here is a picture from my slide collection.  I believe taken in 1960.

1960-08 Rolls-Royce.jpg

• Like 1

I think those are two bar which appeared

on the P 1. I believe some of the late ghosts used a pretty narrow single bar. 

Car looks very nice..........Springfield Rolls Royce Ghost’s are one of the most under rated cars in the hobby.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Car looks very nice..........Springfield Rolls Royce Ghost’s are one of the most under rated cars in the hobby.

Very true as to under rated, but nevertheless a complicated car and outside of most peoples skill sets matched to keeping one out on the road for touring can at times be hard on the wallet. 

A friend is currently working on a 1927 PI Prince of Wales Sedan that was nicely restored in the 70's, but not best stored for few years and he said no problem as his formal training was truck mechanics - well a year latter it has challenged him right and left and it turns out it is a problem for him.   Then parts prices matched to availability of a few items started getting in the way of life and ...

jcrow - Here is a picture of my 1925 Springfield Piccadilly -- the correct bumpers are tubular.  In addition to joining the RROC, if you have not already joined I would highly recommend joining the Silver Ghost Association.  The SGA technical help is excellent, and there are many opportunities to tour with your new car.  And, what is your chassis number?

Bob

S304RK (small).jpg

Thanks. Did join the RROC. I noticed factory? photos in the "American Rolls Royce" that showed a few with flat single bar bumpers.

Any help for good west coast engine guys, should I find the need to have some work done?

I appreciate everyone's help. I have other cars, but this is my first Rolls. It is going to take

some work and I am a little intimidated....

On 7/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, jcrow said:

I appreciate everyone's help. I have other cars, but this is my first Rolls. It is going to take

There is a strong support system for advice and parts from what I can see.  Good luck.

RM has a couple of really nice American RR for sale at Monterrey.    A Playboy and an Ascot.   Note that Ascot does not have visible door hinges,  one of about 4 built that way.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0052-1927-rolls-royce-phantom-i-playboy-roadster-by-brewster/778851

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0044-1929-rolls-royce-phantom-i-ascot-tourer-by-brewster/778037

RollsPlayboy.jpg

Ascot-1.jpg

On 7/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, jcrow said:

Nothing to be intimidated about - I have worked on 4 here in town over time and another 5 PI's, a PII, a bunch of 20/25 and 25/30's, and .....

Here is my advice:  

They are lovely built cars - that said though don't break anything and if you spot something wrong best address it real quick before it really gets to be a problem. 

Anything you want apart just make sure you start penetrating oiling it a couple days ahead of time.

You will need a Whiteworth tool kit to start (and a few high quality adjustable wrenches as a few things are just not anything as to standard size) matched to a few specialized RR tools (most of which are reproduced - Steve Litton sent then to me same day as my phone call asking). 

The RROC has a DVD or .. of all the old club newsletters, expensive but any problem you have someone has been there before you.  Perhaps find a member with a whole set first and double check if you want to go that route.  

You just need to ask questions too

And you need to be willing to throw money at problems whether you are buying whatever, having it machined, or ...   They were as expensive as expensive cars come when new and still are today - the window sill penny jar will not cut it and I have seen a lot a heart-ache for those who think they can handle on pennies as  will as car just will never be anything someone wants it to be without addressing issues head on with conviction. 

And, if you do not know what is in oil pan and ..., then clean out as sludged oil will kill everything quick. 

Start slow - get it to run in garage, then drive, then in front of house, and ....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All of them have minor differences.   Between these two I spot:

1.  Green car has Ascot top (present in 1960s photo at the Toy Store in Nyack)

2. Maroon car has later fenders

3.  Maroon car has no cowl lights

4.  Maroon car has later head lamps.

5. Maroon car has 2nd windshield

6. Green car has better looking guy sitting in it.

RollsAscotWithMe.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another angle.  Exposed door hinges on this one but more modern headlights and bumper.  The big cans are cool, this nose has presence also.  He had some cleaning to do, pics from an event last fall, in a field after a few days of hard rain..

20181021_120843.jpg

The first Silver Ghosts were RHD, but they had the horizontal radiator slats and exposed rear springs.  That is a later P1.   Wonder about the RHD?

25 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Another angle.  Exposed door hinges on this one but more modern headlights and bumper.  The big cans are cool, this nose has presence also.  He had some cleaning to do, pics from an event last fall, in a field after a few days of hard rain..

Thanks Steve, I missed the hinges in the first picture and have corrected my post accordingly!

• Like 1

For the record, I like the green!  

The red, maroon rhd 29 was largely restored and maintained by the owner!

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 8:55 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Local car.  Springfield RR, I believe, but rhd?  

20160618_101955.jpg

An English car - note the drop center wheel rims and the locking hubs, as well as ....

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I was listing a few parts on ebay and thought I would post pictures as most people have never seen these DeJon brand parts (this is what your RR PI Springfield had on it as a new car) - original RR PI engine dirt on them too :) 

)66697434_10157637258032189_6672022585263259648_n.thumb.jpg.902841dd0d0ed936f90aa77e76c0b0e3.jpg66415390_10157633496172189_7664902823758266368_n.thumb.jpg.d8c38673d0fae4434df1bfd42ce911f2.jpg on a car before - incredibly rare 

66261947_10157637259192189_7246311746267250688_n.jpg

66160966_10157633496002189_1615092382594760704_n.jpg

66274633_10157637315647189_3224000196966875136_n.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All Ghosts and PIs have drilled crankshafts. Oil is pumped to the main and rod bearings through the crankshaft. Unless you know that it has been checked, I'd pull the pan and at least a couple of the crankshaft plugs. I've done it a few times and never found one plugged up but there is always a first time and you do not want to rebuild the engine. If they are plugged you will probably get a good oil pressure reading despite the fact that little oil is getting to the bearings.

The oil caps are aluminum, lapped to fit the holes perfectly so they should go back in the hole they came out of. They are held with a thru bolt - a piece of rod threaded on both ends with tiny castellated nuts. When replacing them it is important to put the split pins back in.

• Like 1

I am not certain when they went to the flat bar bumper. My 29 PI, S193FR had the tubular bumpers with drum headights. But, it was very common for earlier cars to be modernized by the factory and this is especially true of the roadsters and open cars like the Ascot because those were bodies that could be fitted to chassis that had been traded in. There was no market for second hand limousines and RR of America had a big problem with them as they were fabulously expensive when new and virtually worthless a few years later. They had to take them back but to sell them they mounted "sportier" (and cheaper) open bodies. Owners also sent their cars back to be updated. This was quite unlike the practice with any American car I'm familiar with. The rubric of "just as delivered from the factory" is almost pointless since change was almost continual and most of the alterations were done by RR themselves during the working life of the car. Years ago a friend had a Frederick Wood bodied roadster - I think it was 1922 or 23 - that had been exported to Ireland when nearly new. He bought it there in the 70s. Because it had been out of the country for almost it's entire life nothing had been changed. At the time, we considered that quite remarkable.