American Rolls Royce (Ghost, PI & PII)

alsancle

Walt, A photo of the Cadillac 341 Series with Hibbard & Darrin torpedo phaeton can be found on page 263 of Cadillac, Standard of the World, The Complete Seventy Year History by Maurice D. Hendry.  I recall reading H & D licensed Gill in England to build the design as well.  The style also was mounted on Stutz chassis. 

40 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Dog and background are attractive.

I agree.........what about the charming good looks and wonderful personality of the gentleman in the photo? 

My latest find..........and it's ON TOPIC! 🤯

rrkey.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

I approve of the Scotty Dog mascot...........

What a ridiculous looking creature that is. Awesome Scotty, though.

(We had two when I was growing up, Nigel and Morris.)

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, edinmass said:

I agree.........what about the charming good looks and wonderful personality of the gentleman in the photo? 

My latest find..........and it's ON TOPIC! 🤯

rrkey.jpg

Look at that - after the drunken sailor was done in Springfield they must have found a new job in Connersville working for Auburn Automobile Company.

I have my Rolls-Royce in America book out on loan - what car is the ID tag from (and for those who do not know it is the Ignition key chain) ?

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

It’s off a late 1928 P1 that was rebodied in 1935 I to a station wagon. I wonder if it made it past the war?  I haven’t researched the name yet.....been busy. It was marked as a new special order. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Am seriously looking for a SG 23-25 roadster with original body. Would love a Springfield. Might be open

to a P1. Looking for a very nice driver. Will reward a successful lead.  Any ideas?

Johnny 925-963-5835

And I was aware of the Fred Guyton car.

• 1 month later...

Ok I bought one. So I need advice. 1925 Springfield Silver Ghost. Original Picadilly Roadster. Sitting for 25 years.

Original upholstery and original top. Poor repaint many years ago. Nice body and wood. Cruddy underneath.

Have just restarted, using my fuel source. What do I need to watch for? Who on west coast can help. Am at that

buyers remorse stage, but I will probably get over it. Oh yes, I need correct bumpers, probably the single bar flat ones.

Johnny

This front bumper off my old Pierce help you out.......I think it's still in the barn up north.........same condition as in the two year old photo. Very decent for a barn find car. Ed

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5706.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

14 hours ago, jcrow said:

Ok I bought one. So I need advice.

I assumed you joined the RROC?   If not you really have to.  For 60 dollars they will give you a complete history of your car.   Also,  the forum is active and people will respond to your questions.

http://rroc.hoop.la

Why the late bumpers?  Should you be putting the round ones on a Ghost?   If you really want to go the newer route here is one for 500 or best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Royce-Springfield-Phantom-1-Bumper-Blade-Front-or-Rear/173546590528

You can pay Ed whatever you pay for this bumper and you will have a pair.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

You have come around quite a bit in the last few years. I wonder why...

Actually, not really. Problem  with a Springfield car is there are so few well sorted cars..........and sorting one is very, very difficult.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Car looks very nice..........Springfield Rolls Royce Ghost’s are one of the most under rated cars in the hobby.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Car looks very nice..........Springfield Rolls Royce Ghost’s are one of the most under rated cars in the hobby.

Very true as to under rated, but nevertheless a complicated car and outside of most peoples skill sets matched to keeping one out on the road for touring can at times be hard on the wallet. 

A friend is currently working on a 1927 PI Prince of Wales Sedan that was nicely restored in the 70's, but not best stored for few years and he said no problem as his formal training was truck mechanics - well a year latter it has challenged him right and left and it turns out it is a problem for him.   Then parts prices matched to availability of a few items started getting in the way of life and ...

jcrow - Here is a picture of my 1925 Springfield Piccadilly -- the correct bumpers are tubular.  In addition to joining the RROC, if you have not already joined I would highly recommend joining the Silver Ghost Association.  The SGA technical help is excellent, and there are many opportunities to tour with your new car.  And, what is your chassis number?

Bob

S304RK (small).jpg

Thanks. Did join the RROC. I noticed factory? photos in the "American Rolls Royce" that showed a few with flat single bar bumpers.

Any help for good west coast engine guys, should I find the need to have some work done?

On 7/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, jcrow said:

I appreciate everyone's help. I have other cars, but this is my first Rolls. It is going to take

some work and I am a little intimidated....

There is a strong support system for advice and parts from what I can see.  Good luck.

RM has a couple of really nice American RR for sale at Monterrey.    A Playboy and an Ascot.   Note that Ascot does not have visible door hinges,  one of about 4 built that way.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0052-1927-rolls-royce-phantom-i-playboy-roadster-by-brewster/778851

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0044-1929-rolls-royce-phantom-i-ascot-tourer-by-brewster/778037

RollsPlayboy.jpg

Ascot-1.jpg

On 7/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, jcrow said:

I appreciate everyone's help. I have other cars, but this is my first Rolls. It is going to take

some work and I am a little intimidated....

Nothing to be intimidated about - I have worked on 4 here in town over time and another 5 PI's, a PII, a bunch of 20/25 and 25/30's, and .....

Here is my advice:  

They are lovely built cars - that said though don't break anything and if you spot something wrong best address it real quick before it really gets to be a problem. 

Anything you want apart just make sure you start penetrating oiling it a couple days ahead of time.

You will need a Whiteworth tool kit to start (and a few high quality adjustable wrenches as a few things are just not anything as to standard size) matched to a few specialized RR tools (most of which are reproduced - Steve Litton sent then to me same day as my phone call asking). 

The RROC has a DVD or .. of all the old club newsletters, expensive but any problem you have someone has been there before you.  Perhaps find a member with a whole set first and double check if you want to go that route.  

You just need to ask questions too

And you need to be willing to throw money at problems whether you are buying whatever, having it machined, or ...   They were as expensive as expensive cars come when new and still are today - the window sill penny jar will not cut it and I have seen a lot a heart-ache for those who think they can handle on pennies as  will as car just will never be anything someone wants it to be without addressing issues head on with conviction. 

And, if you do not know what is in oil pan and ..., then clean out as sludged oil will kill everything quick. 

Start slow - get it to run in garage, then drive, then in front of house, and ....

• Like 1

All of them have minor differences.   Between these two I spot:

1.  Green car has Ascot top (present in 1960s photo at the Toy Store in Nyack)

2. Maroon car has later fenders

3.  Maroon car has no cowl lights

4.  Maroon car has later head lamps.

5. Maroon car has 2nd windshield

6. Green car has better looking guy sitting in it.

RollsAscotWithMe.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another angle.  Exposed door hinges on this one but more modern headlights and bumper.  The big cans are cool, this nose has presence also.  He had some cleaning to do, pics from an event last fall, in a field after a few days of hard rain..

20181021_120843.jpg

25 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Another angle.  Exposed door hinges on this one but more modern headlights and bumper.  The big cans are cool, this nose has presence also.  He had some cleaning to do, pics from an event last fall, in a field after a few days of hard rain..

Thanks Steve, I missed the hinges in the first picture and have corrected my post accordingly!

• Like 1