Eric W

1952 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe

6/20 - I did bring it to the cruise night on 6/13, where it got all the way there, stalled out, and was pushed to a spot towards the far end of the parking lot. After getting something to eat & looking at the other cars, I did get it started again & got it home. After some thought, I checked the oil - quite low after dripping away in that guy's yard for 7 months. Added oil & brought it to the cruise night last night. Still slow to start after it's hot, but there & back no problems. I ordered the clips for the hood scripts & pulled the bumper guards front & rear. I have another rear bumper that I picked up at a Studebaker-specific estate sale. Brought the bumper & guards to the chrome shop today. The back bumper & guards as-is are a real letdown with the new paint.

20190620_01.jpg

20190620_02.jpg

20190620_03.jpg

20190611_rear_bumper.jpg

• Like 2

Eric, the Studebaker looks great. .Had a similar problem with my Studebaker. I had the carb, and fuel pump rebuilt.also had the gas tank cleaned and sealed. She runs fine now. John

6 hours ago, Eric W said:

The back bumper & guards as-is are a real letdown with the new paint.

That's the way it always is.........almost a never-ending ordeal! :)

By the way Eric, I'm jealous - such a beautiful Studebaker. I always had a soft spot for '52s although I never had one.

• Like 1

Good point, John. I'll see if I can determine the exact carb & get a rebuild kit from The Carburetor Shop. I got kits from them for both of the '51 Buicks with good results. Remade the power lead for the license plate light this morning. I had cut that wire to pull the trunk - there's no inline bullet connector, at least not that I found. While doing this, I noticed the right tail light was out. Right brake light is good, so maybe a burned bulb. Turned out it just needed to be cycled in the socket some and it came back to life. The Thursday cruise "night" typically starts as soon as I can get there after work (before sundown), but going home I need complete working lights.

• Like 1

Hi,

I've popped in now and then to watch your progress and like what you have done with your car. Driving it is as much of the joy as the journey getting there in my opinion so have fun!

I was at our weekly cruise-in on Monday and thought you might like to see this Stude. 

IMG_5292.thumb.JPG.16f85129512cb3b1392e186a067af2ae.JPG

The owner has redone it to all stock keeping the flat head 6 and has the swamp cooler which is so unique.

IMG_5293.thumb.JPG.811c6c2b4c77e75b5dba1ad96fca1f50.JPG

He told the story of finding the cooler at a swap meet and with some of the original paint redid it.

First time he put it on the car and went for a ride all the bugs and crap flew inside his nice new interior so had to pull over and take it off... LOL

He said it is cleaned out and has some effect now. 

Keep on movin' on.

• Like 3

Ok, 5 weeks on the chrome. I think they had it done last week sometime, but I was out of town. They've still got one part that they weren't happy with, so I haven't installed any of the 4 bumper guards that I had done for the front. The rear parts came out great, though. Those bumper over-rides were all crunched up, and they push the dents back out & smooth it over. They did have to cut out the mounting brackets & weld them back in. They told me they would do this before they started. They said the last part would complete its rework tomorrow, if I can find time to get it (I have to leave work early to make their operating hours). They did show me the part in nickel; all that's left is the chrome & polish. Royal Plating in Tucson.

20190729_01.jpg

20190729_02.jpg

20190729_03.jpg

20190729_04.jpg

• Like 4

EricW, the car looks great. Real nice work. John

Bumper and guards look really nice Eric. Your hard work is really paying off on this car!

Thanks - I was able to pick up the last part from the chrome shop yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to put them on. Even though the front guards weren't what I'd call terrible before, it does make a big difference to see perfect new finish on there. That back bumper was an estate sale find for about $30. Of course, the chrome work is a lot more than that. But it was very straight, with just one small area where the bottom edge was dented a little. That's how I saw the part - they may have seen many more areas that needed a little tweaking. But overall, much more straight than the bumper I removed, which had obviously had some sort of impact.

Ok, got the front guards on & took it down the street for some better photos.

20190731_01.jpg

20190731_02.jpg

20190731_03.jpg

20190731_04.jpg

20190731_05.jpg

20190731_06.jpg

20190731_07.jpg

• Like 5

Drove for a while today - got to the better photo spot, but need to pass by there again when the sun is lower...

20190810_01.jpg

20190810_02.jpg

20190810_03.jpg

20190810_04.jpg

20190810_06.jpg

20190810_05.jpg

20190810_07.jpg

• Like 4