What is going on with the broken up format?

keiser31

Yes it is what I just asked about in the thread called "forum new look". This thing is a mess. I don't understand anyone doing an upgrade this unorganized. Upgrades are difficult but they become disastrous when they are as poorly planned as this one has been. Just my 2 cents I'm sure won't matter much 

• Like 1

THIS IS AN ABSURD TIME CONSUMING SERIES OF GATES. IT IS LIKE HAVING TO TALK TO A COMPUTER FOR 5 or 10 MINUTES JUST TO GET TO TALK TO A HUMAN. I AM NOT A COMPUTER PROGRAMMER , NOR A DEVELOPER. THIS IS NOT OLD FOLK FRIENDLY , MY TIME IS LIMITED , AND I WILL SIGN OFF AACA FORUMS IF I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS CUTE SILLY BURDEN. I LIKED TO BE ABLE TO SCAN RAPIDLY AT A TOUCH , AND ALLOW MY 73 YEAR OLD BRAIN TO DO WHAT IT HAS BEEN TRAINED TO DO SINCE 1944. PLEASE GO BACK TO USER FRIENDLY FORMAT.   THANK YOU , -   Carl.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

this is pretty bad, please return to the former format, it took to much time to even figure out how to post this! I agree with C Carl. I don't need all the face icons, and it seemed much simpler to read the way it used to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I caused this by complementing the new format in one of the other threads. ;)

From what I saw of the page an hour ago, I think this was a server side problem and possibly not even related to the forum software. 

I've been having the same problem... just now using the office computer. The format is gone all the time in Safari and spotty now in Firefox. I agree it isn't intended but it still makes the forum completely unusable.

The problem is more poor planning of a test platform than anything else. It is not the moderators or the actual programmers fault but the fault of the administrator doing the planning. A proper explanation test platform would have allowed the programmers to clean up most of these problems. There still would have been things we may have wanted done differently but that is cosmetic changes not software problems. In my experience owning a computer service bureau we found the test system to be invaluable in keeping our customers from getting frustrated by these types of problems. The programmers actually like it as they didn't have the pressures of mad customers and bosses jumping all over them. The customers liked it as we would ask a few of them to go to the test platform and tell us what they liked and what they didn't like. It helped us and them. We could not always do all they wanted but we solved little things like the heart as opposed to a thumbs up. It's not rocket science just common sense. This release was poorly planned. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. None of us should be hard on the moderators or programmers they are trying to help us all they can. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C Carl said:

THIS IS AN ABSURD TIME CONSUMING SERIES OF GATES. IT IS LIKE HAVING TO TALK TO A COMPUTER FOR 5 or 10 MINUTES JUST TO GET TO TALK TO A HUMAN. I AM NOT A COMPUTER PROGRAMMER , NOR A DEVELOPER. THIS IS NOT OLD FOLK FRIENDLY , MY TIME IS LIMITED , AND I WILL SIGN OFF AACA FORUMS IF I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS CUTE SILLY BURDEN. I LIKED TO BE ABLE TO SCAN RAPIDLY AT A TOUCH , AND ALLOW MY 73 YEAR OLD BRAIN TO DO WHAT IT HAS BEEN TRAINED TO DO SINCE 1944. PLEASE GO BACK TO USER FRIENDLY FORMAT.   THANK YOU , -   Carl.  

Carl, don't go away. We will miss you. And your Cadillac.

Ben

No. I don't own one either and have never accessed the internet via a telephone.

I've had the identical issue with two computers, both using 2 different browsers. It still doesn't work with Safari 5.1.10 or the later Safari on my office computer. Probably they consider that too old to be bothered with or that  Mac users aren't particularly important but I can't update it unless I want to buy a new computer and no forum is worth that expense. Thus far (except this afternoon) it is working with Firefox.

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Works fine for me. Guess I wasn't here when the problems mentioned above were here, could be due to the fact I don't own a cell phone?

I don't own a cell phone, either. My problem was on Firefox on my desktop. All is OK now.

3 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Thing is, folks, it is a free service to us. And they fix it. We have just become too impatient.

+1.  I just walked away for four hours and worked on a pre-war car and it was back to normal when I returned.  Know it was essentially down for at least an hour, but not a big deal given other issues in the world.

• Like 1

Even though the forum looked bad for a while, it wasn't what would be considered a major problem with the forum software. It just took a while to fix it.

I don't presume to speak for the AACA's person that maintains the forum but in a nutshell here is what probably happened...

The forum website is primarily made up of two types of files. program files (.html, .php, etc.) and stylesheets files (.css). The program files are what makes the forum operate and the stylesheets (.css files) determine how the forum will look as far as layout and color of objects you see in your browser. Normally the stylesheet files are loaded before other files to tell your web browser how the forum should look. When a link to a stylesheet is broken OR the stylesheet gets deleted the result is what we saw earlier today. Getting it fixed is just a matter of getting the CSS files properly linked to the program files in order to get back the correct colors and layout of the forum.

I don't want to appear to be a know it all. I've had to deal with this situation several times on my forum and I thought someone might want an explanation of what might have happened that caused the forum to look scrambled for a while.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Skyking said:

I find it odd that people with "old" cars don't have cell phones.  I never leave home without it.

Personally, I don't need the instant gratification.   I do have a cell phone in my car, to use in case of emergency.  It also works well while walking the rows at Hershey and my wife is manning the booth.

I will NOT answer the phone while driving. 

• Like 1

Some were easy, others were not but ALL of my cars are equipped with handsfree and spoken GPS. No more complicated or harder to reach than a pushbutton radio. Before if  got a call I would pull over and stop for a while but then was on call 24/7.

That said back when I was programming seriously (mostly antivirus) it was fortunate that my employer had at least one of every computer available so could properly test software before release

Suspect something similar is going on here and is doubly hard on the staff when using third party software &  it is hard enough when every platform is different, three different operating systems at various levels, four different browsers same. Now even adjust for display size.

Have quite a few computers here (friends used to say I had better equipment than my employer) and each seems to operate differently (take the "new post" bullet/star. Not visible on this PC but is on an almost identical one (same CPU family, 8GB ram, ATI Radeon graphics card, Win10-64 1703. And I used to be a drip).

So the AACA staff's job is not easy and have to depend a lot on a certain Virginia company's response. Troubleshooting is a nightmare (part of the reason the opening page is slow to load is that the browser must parse almost 4,000 lines of code with many propropietary calls (& quite a few blank lines). OTOH I wonder how many of Invision's 25 employees are on customer service.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curti said:

Personally, I don't need the instant gratification.   I do have a cell phone in my car, to use in case of emergency.  It also works well while walking the rows at Hershey and my wife is manning the booth.

I will NOT answer the phone while driving. 

You've landed on what could be an entirely separate thread, maybe called "Hershey Hunting Techniques."  My wife and I really are enjoying cell technology.   She likes to wander the flea market as much as I do, and while she is out looking, I frequently get texts and photos of items she finds.   Last year there were a couple of instances where my immediate response was "hold on to it, don't put it down, I'm on my way!"  A couple of very nice items came home for my collection(s) of automobilia that way.   Same when I'm wandering and she minds the store.  I managed to discover a few MG things she had to have.  I've also noticed that invariably the items someone picks up while I'm away and she plays store-keeper need pricing, or someone wants to make a package deal, or something.   So it helps to keep things rolling.  Nice also is that when she sells something, I immediately re-calculate the $ available to buy something else.   So, that's extra eyes, instant communication, photos and the ability to call and talk if necessary.  I feel like I've covered more and have a better chance at the goodies.   It's worth mentioning that according to her Fit-Bit, she walked 30 miles at Hershey last year.   We've decided that's our annual goal.  It's healthy to everything except the bank account!

See you there!

Terry

11 hours ago, Skyking said:

I find it odd that people with "old" cars don't have cell phones.  I never leave home without it.

Some of us old car people can still fix our cars if they break down on the road and it can turn into an adventure. Why just call a tow truck when you can test your own skills. What's that movie quote? "We don't need no stinking cell phones".

Guest Skyking
1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Some of us old car people can still fix our cars if they break down on the road and it can turn into an adventure. Why just call a tow truck when you can test your own skills. What's that movie quote? "We don't need no stinking cell phones".

About 16 years ago I was coming home from a cruise and the fuel pump let go on my Invicta.  I don't carry a trunk full of extra parts.  I borrowed a cell phone and called triple a.  That's why I have an account.  That's when I also decided to purchase a cell phone.  I don't care how good you are,  you're not going to make a fuel pump there.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

Each to his/he own, I have a FLIP TOP phone, use it to call wife, or family, other's don't have the number.  My last incoming call was June, 15th.

If you feel you need to use a cell phone for whatever, it's your choice, I have no hang up with that. 

Dale in Indy

I have not had any issues. 

I doubt if this will happen to the AACA forum, but I used to participate in another car clubs forum until shortly after they changed their format.

They did a total overhaul of the car clubs site/forum and among other things the screen became a very boring bright white with many feature changes that no one liked.  It was so bright you almost needed sun glasses to view the site.

Shortly after the change I posting a question on the site in November 2015 and it is still number 3 down the list of postings and no one ever responded to my question.  The last posting on the site was May 2016.

The modern thing seems to be bright white backgrounds (prefer white on blue myself). While there is a "High Contrast" mode in Windows with a black background, I just turn the brightness down until web page is more of a light fog gray. There are ways to change colors but I usually don't bother. One that really bothers me is red on black (Used to wonder if Wired magazine chose fonts that were hard for elders to read).