1917 D45 Differential assembly

Bob Engle

I got my pinion shaft and ring gear carrier back from the machine shop and am beginning reassembly.

When I disassembled the unit, the pinion nut was loose and the shaft taper was worn.  There was no locking device on the the shaft for the pinion gear.  There was a stake mark on the pinion nut.

What should the 7/8-14 nut be torgued to?  Is staking the proper locking method?

Bob Engle

Bob

I recently worked on my differential, and was able to torque the pinion nut to around 70 ft-lbs, when the shaft started slipping in the clamp block i was using. It should probably be tighter, just not sure how much.   If you don't have a locking device, one can be made with a piece of sheetmetal and handfile. They are  heavy gauge and require a hammer to bend them over the flats. 

The forward pinion bearing was loose and noisy, so I found NOS bearings for both forward and aft bearing locations, plus a modern oil seal to replace the missing felt seal.  The same forward bearing (New Departure 5307) should also fit your D-45.

photo below of all pinion pieces, with both old & NOS bearings.  This is from a 1928 differential

Kevin

BCA # 47712

pinion old-new bearings.jpg

• Like 1

Looks very similar to the 1917 parts.  I did have to make the lock tab washers by hand as you suggested.  I ended up at 80 ft-lb of torque.  I think  a chronic  problem in these differentials is the pinion gear loose on the taper.  The bearing surface on your pinion gear does not exit on the 1917's.  The taper on the shaft is shorter and steeper.  The   pinion bearing surface is part of the shaft in 1917.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I neglected to take photos of the part disassembled.  Too anxious to get it together and get some driving time in this summer.

Bob Engle

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the assembly and gear setup of the differential.  Yesterday I decided to hear the engine run for it's first time at it's new home. Fluids have been changed, spark plugs cleaned an gapped, and battery charged.  I filled the vacuum tank with gas and the engine fired right up with generator charging and good oil flow.  That made may day to hear the 100 year old engine come to life.  

Now I can go back to getting bearing and gear settings to my  to my satisfaction.  

I sent my registration for HPOF to Hershey for the fall AACA meet.  

I'm looking forward to the first test drive.

Bob