Interesting 65 Road Wheels??

pyntre

You might be able to use the 2 blade spinner off '65-'66 wire wheel covers.   The controlling factor is the hole in the center of the factory road wheels.

The 4 screw spacing is about 2 5/16 center to center.

In the attached pictures the Olds and Buick used a 2 blade spinner and Chevy used a 3 blade, but the 4 mounting screws are in the same location.

Putting a 3 blade spinner on creates a problem....you cannot orientate the spinner so it will not be in the way of one of the lug nuts.

If you have the ability to make an adaptor that would be held to the spinner with the 4 screws but have one center screw.......I'm thinking the hollow threaded parts they use on lamps.

With an adaptor, you could mount the wheel then screw on the spinner.

Last problem......cost, good original 2 and 3 bar spinners for GM wire wheel covers are expensive.   However I am sure that many of the aftermarket wheel companies make a wide varity of spinners.

1963-Buick-Riviera-wire-wheel-cover-R-Spiegelman.jpg

corvair spinner.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jframe said:

Ed, how did you paint your wheel pockets???? Mine are black, and I'd like to redo them to the gray type color used in 65.

I first scuffed up the old paint with a Scotch-brite pad and used some chrome polish on the chrome parts I didn't want painted. Then I  used 1/2" masking tape to tape off the ribs, then went around the wheel with two inch masking tape to cover the rest of the chrome covering all the creases.  This is where it gets strange.  I took a "hook" that is used to dig the meat out of walnuts and used the pointed end to press the masking tape into the creases.  Then using a few new Xacto blades, cut away the excess tape following the creases I'd made with the hook - never cutting into the edge of a piece of tape, but cutting through the edge by starting in the middle.  Not a lot of skill involved here, just a LOT of time and patience.  I tried using 1/4" tape on the ribs, but it didn't let me really get the edges down tight.

I then hit any bare spots in the paint where chrome might be showing through with some-self etching primer, let it dry according to instructions on the can, then primered everything with high build primer and let it dry for a good long time.  I then went over it again with another Scotch-brite pad and sanded it smooth.  Wiped it down with prep (Eastwood calls it PRE) and then went over it with a tack rag.  I painted the web's with black enamel from the local hardware store ( I used gloss because I wasn't trying to replicate anything, I just like the shine) and set wheel in the sun to bake - I think this was a big step, the paint cured really hard, smooth, and shiny. 

So far so good.  The car wash hasn't loosened or peeled any paint off.  

Just don't get into a hurry.  Luckily, the car was riding on different tires and wheels when I did this, and the wheels i painted weren't mounted with tires.  It's a learning process, don't get flustered; learn from it.  The first wheel probably took 90 minutes or more to do.  The last two, only about 30 minutes each.  This time does not allow for paint drying time, just hands on time.  "Miller time" is used to let the paint dry.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hoping someone can shed some light on how this man widened these rims with the centerpice being one solid piece all the way from the center hole  to the outer rim edge. That one piece is welded to the remaining part of the rim. From what i can see , you would need to cut out the star and painted web portion to achieve desired depth of 7"to accommodate a 4" ring. The beauty rings appear to be 4" to me ,i could be wrong but they do appear deeper than the photo of the mock up Ed posted. I want to do this with my car , any help is very much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Hoping someone can shed some light on how this man widened these rims with the centerpice being one solid piece all the way from the center hole  to the outer rim edge. That one piece is welded to the remaining part of the rim. From what i can see , you would need to cut out the star and painted web portion to achieve desired depth of 7"to accommodate a 4" ring. The beauty rings appear to be 4" to me ,i could be wrong but they do appear deeper than the photo of the mock up Ed posted. I want to do this with my car , any help is very much appreciated.

I suspect they're aftermarket wheels: https://www.wheelvintiques.com/buick-rallye.html

However, they're only offered in 4.75 bolt pattern, so if they used those, they would have had to use a bolt pattern adaptor.  Looking at the specs, they have a 4.5" back spacing, so they would have had to go with a 1" spacer to get them away from the frame. They appear to have a Interestingly, you can get them up to 10" wide.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

Well, I'm stumped. The wheels on the 65 have the deeply curved spokes like the one piece front buick wheels, where as the wheel vintiques have fairly straight spokes. The older wheels have an area on the inside that is welded to the hoop. I'm now thinking they cut the hoop off, then cut the diameter of the face down to fit into the hoop. The hoop is probably generic GM 8" wide, and they welded the two together again. That would get you a 5x5 BP, and the shallow back spacing that Riv's need. I've seen articles where hotrodders do some crazy stuff to steel wheels, so I think this is do-able.

The Wheel Vintique wheels are made in the same style as the Skylark GS wheels - two piece.  The wheels that were made for the full sized cars are one piece.  ( technically not, but appear so.) Widening wheels is not rocket science for an experienced wheel builder.  IF those original styled wheels are wider than 6", then they've been widened.

Now, I've got a question for someone who's been around and parted/serviced a LOT of Buicks.  "Was the rally wheel that came on a station wagon wider than 6" ?"

Ed

On February 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM, RivNut said:

The Wheel Vintique wheels are made in the same style as the Skylark GS wheels - two piece.  The wheels that were made for the full sized cars are one piece.  ( technically not, but appear so.) Widening wheels is not rocket science for an experienced wheel builder.  IF those original styled wheels are wider than 6", then they've been widened.

Now, I've got a question for someone who's been around and parted/serviced a LOT of Buicks.  "Was the rally wheel that came on a station wagon wider than 6" ?"

Ed

Cant answer your question ed but im thinking maybe if they did come wider than 6" like maybe 7" and they look like the rivi wheels ,they would accept the deeper beauty ring like the ones on the black rivi and would look just as good. You also answerd a question before i asked which was if a wheel builder could do the modification on an original wheel.thanks for that 

The rings I bought, and posted a picture, fit the 802 rally wheels that I have. They look just like the pi cure I posted except the wheels in the picture are 895 code wheels.  I'll mount a ring on a 802 tomorrow and post a picture. All the wheels I have are stock 6" wheels.

As promised.  Here are some pictures of the trim rings mounted on a stock width Buick rally wheel (code 853 - 802's would be the same)

The trim ring's diameter is exactly the same as that of the 15" x 6" wheel.  The trim ring's inner diameter is 12".  It's 2-1/4" deep.

Stock 853 code wheel

20180207_101846.thumb.jpg.658c9714662c44b3d4c8449fe32179ff.jpg

Stock 853 wheel with ring attached. (Selfie in the ring is unintended)

20180207_102136.thumb.jpg.aaa6c94881e4217205354f5742fba13f.jpg

Showing depth of trim ring. If you enlarge the picture, you can read the ruler.

20180207_102907.thumb.jpg.e57be50493e4fa87022b3592f9febcbf.jpg

Go for it! If you can't find your trim rings locally, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the firm from which I bought mine.

In the back ground is a set of 15 x 7 inch aluminum rims that came off my Roadmaster Wagon that have a 5 x 5 inch bolt circle. Anyone Interested? 

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I was sitting in the garage on Sunday just looking at the cars and thinking about them. The Riviera (with wheel covers) made me think- Are Buick Road Wheels ubiquitous or obligatory or both? Just a stray thought.

Bernie

I'd say ubiquitous.  If all of the 63 and 64 Rivieras that showed up at the annual ROA meet with Rally wheels were properly classified as modified rather stock, there would be barely enough cars to judge in the stock class.     Makes one wonder where all of these wheels came from.

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

As promised.  Here are some pictures of the trim rings mounted on a stock width Buick rally wheel (code 853 - 802's would be the same)

The trim ring's diameter is exactly the same as that of the 15" x 6" wheel.  The trim ring's inner diameter is 12".  It's 2-1/4" deep.

Stock 853 code wheel

Go for it! If you can't find your trim rings locally, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the firm from which I bought mine.

In the back ground is a set of 15 x 7 inch aluminum rims that came off my Roadmaster Wagon that have a 5 x 5 inch bolt circle. Anyone Interested? 

Ed, could you post the information,I would like a set but things here in Upper Canukistan are not as easy to aquire as down south

24 minutes ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

Did you find the trick for clipping the beauty on so they stay put 

I did this one with the wheel off the car.  I think it's a matter of being able to apply pressure in more than just the point where you're trying to get it to seat.  When I bought them, we mounted a ring to a wheel that was sitting in the back of Large Marge.  This time I did it on a wheel sitting on a  work bench.  I'm probably too old and stiff to get down on the ground and get all hands and feet involved.  When the snow leaves the ground and it warms up, I'll give them another shot with wheels mounted on the ground.

I got them from: 

The Hubcap and Wheel Store

2810 South 44th Street

Kansas City, KS 66106

913/432-0022

The part number, as I remember it, is in a previous post. The distributor or manufacturer ( I dont know which) is Coast to Coast, as least that's what I was told.  I talked to the counter guy and he said that he thinks there should be a distributor close to you somewhere. You might give him a call. 

If you can't make a deal with him, let me know.

Ed

On 2/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, RivNut said:

Stock 853 code wheel

I was looking a trim rings on the web and they're usually listed by wheel diameter and a "width".  After viewing a few, I think the "width" is actually the measurement of the bevel.  After reading this and re-measuring mine, I would call mine 15 x 3 inch trim rings. 

Ed

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

I did this one with the wheel off the car.  I think it's a matter of being able to apply pressure in more than just the point where you're trying to get it to seat.  When I bought them, we mounted a ring to a wheel that was sitting in the back of Large Marge.  This time I did it on a wheel sitting on a  work bench.  I'm probably too old and stiff to get down on the ground and get all hands and feet involved.  When the snow leaves the ground and it warms up, I'll give them another shot with wheels mounted on the ground.

I got them from: 

The Hubcap and Wheel Store

2810 South 44th Street

Kansas City, KS 66106

913/432-0022

The part number, as I remember it, is in a previous post. The distributor or manufacturer ( I dont know which) is Coast to Coast, as least that's what I was told.  I talked to the counter guy and he said that he thinks there should be a distributor close to you somewhere. You might give him a call. 

If you can't make a deal with him, let me know.

Ed

Thank you Ed