1911 Hupmobile rescued from the suburbs!

trimacar

Just bought this poor little thing, was stashed away in a garage in the suburbs (no barn find here!).  Looks like a 50's dust 'em off and paint 'em restoration.  Full set of Fisk tires (yes, it's REALLY time to retire!). When was the last time you've  even saw a Fisk tire?

You sharp eyed Hupp guys tell me how many things are "wrong".   I can send close ups and add to the list, it's a neat little car that's had a few modifications, the top that was on it was a real treasure!  

Owner added a Stromberg carb, and by some miracle didn't cut the intake manifold!  So now, after selling a couple, I need a Breeze carb!  Plan to get it running, then decide whether to keep or sell....oh, and check out that carbide generator under the side if driver's seat!

IMG_1377.JPG

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Yes, I've owned two spare Breeze carbs, sold them thinking would never need one.  Ha!

The goofy tall windshield makes the car look shorter, although a Model 20 has a short wheelbase to start with....

one should always have a spare Hupp around!

G,day Huppers. Good find David Please let us have the Engine and chassis numbers for our Records. Only item I see missing is the apron below the bottom radiator tank and the chassis X member. Perhaps it has the accessory manifold to mount the replacement carb. I would be giving it a good drive about before committing to search for a Breeze! Perhaps four tyres first before straying far from home. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

G,day Huppers. David Don'  t  forget to give us the all important engine and car  or chassis numbers for our records.Think back to the knowledge you had when you were younger David. Brass Hup radiators in which the tanks and side plates are part of the assembly did not attach the front apron to the bottom tank with the three cap nuts  that were used to fix the apron to the loose steel shell of the next type. The Brass units fixed the apron which is slightly less deep by riveting it to the X member on which the radiator  sits and which also  is the mounting for the steering box  .In Australia it seems folk painted the brass radiator with flat black paint to encourage heat transfer but more likely to save time polishing. Have you motored down the road in the Hup as yet? Keep us posted please David. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Hi- yes, it appears they kept the Hupp hubs, but mounted Model T style demountables.  The wheels don't match the car like the nice, spindly, Hupp wheels do.

I'll work on the numbers, the engine is an '11 but higher number by a long shot than the plate on the dash.  Dash plate is in the 6000 range, while engine number is in the 10,000 range.  I haven't looked for the frame number yet.  Car is titled as a 1909, which is, of course, incorrect.

I cleaned gas tank and reassembled carb and manifolds, had it running last night, but carb needs some adjustments I'm not sure of.  I'll have to find some Stromberg literature, the patent dates on the carb are late teens.  The fellow who got this running added a choke cable (carb has a choke butterfly) and linkage for the right angle throttle butterfly.

I think painted radiators were part of the switch from 1910 to 1911, seems most original 1911's have painted while 1910's have brass.  Interesting if they painted them down under!!

to my untrained eye all the hupp needs is a good spit and polish. those old rag fisks are ichin' to drive down the road!

(seems that ANY old car is too tight for me to sit behind the wheel. at 6'3 i am challanged just to get comfortable in anything.)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

I don't think I'm going to restore it, it runs, once I figure out carb it will run better.  It has meet plaques on the dash from the late 1950's, so that's when it was "restored".....I think it'll be interesting to keep as is to show what was acceptable back then, when people just wanted a running car and cosmetics and authenticity were secondary.

I doubt the Fisk tires will last long on the road, but they hold air well, probably better tubes in them than you can buy today!  Had gas tank cleaned and I put it on to get car started, but not happy with shut off valve arrangement, so off it comes again. 

Like the car collector's widow put on his tombstone, "He'll be back, he did EVERYTHING  twice......"

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This car is for sale now, if anyone is interested.  I will keep the carbide generator, everything else goes with car as seen.  Nice Victor headlights, nice Dietz Dainty sidelights, a top that is not correct for car.

Currently has a Stromberg OF carb on it.  Car starts on primer cup charge, but carb not working correctly and leaks so doesn't stay running. 

I have a correct Breeze carb available separately.  Manifold is not cut.

Any further questions, or if you want more pictures, please advise, david.coco@comcast.net   I'm fairly firm in my pricing at $11,000.

Thanks dc