1906 Pope-Toledo

Obviously our boys did not proof this....1906 would be more like it!  When they get back tomorrow I will have them verify and make the change.  I was dying to see what a 26 Pope-Toledo looked like myself! :D  This was posted today and they are all still "giddy" about the Metz and Brush in the lobby and learning about friction drive!

I want everyone to know that this egregious mistake has been dealt with severely.  The woodshed was filled and our staff has been properly chastised! :D  On a serious note, the library staff posts a lot of interesting stuff and it would be nice to hear that you enjoy it once in awhile or comment otherwise. The history on these posts show a distinct trend to only comment if a mistake has been made.  The staff cannot be experts on all cars and sometimes the literature they are using is incorrectly cataloged by the groups who are housing literature in our library.  It is great when you help us to correct mistakes so please do not discontinue to tell us when something is wrong.   

The timing of the Ad  is very retarded.  Maybe it was set by Rip van Winkle.    Seriously, for cars of just 2 years earlier than this,  You can find quite a lot of very fine re-publication copies of the 1904 NY show catalogue of gasoline automobiles.  The prices are derisory, which indicates that no-one is aware of it.   Ken Purdy arranged the re-publication.  I found it by looking for Ken Purdy's titles on the internet, and it was an extraordinary treasure for just five dollars.   One car that was covered was the Orient; and one of my friends restored one, and ran it reliably for several decades.  Also, another mutual friend restored one and used to run it on tours, and Ray Whyte retained his interest and affection for the Orient long after circumstances forced him to part with it..   Ray was having a bad time with radiotherapy for Merkel Cell Carcinoma, and he was told that the cessation of that treatment would be like withdrawal from narcotic addiction.  So I bought another copy and posted it on to Ray.   Sudy of that gave him enormous relief and distraction at a very difficult time.   I cheekily suggested that he may have erred in restoring the car as a 2 person Orient Buckboard, rather than a 4 person Orient Surrey; because that would have allowed three passengers instead of one to push it uphill.   Ray was a witness to a lot of important Australian history, because as a very senior and experienced Commonwealth Police Officer,, he was bodyguard to  five Prime Ministers, and the Governor General who had the reason and fortitude to dismiss the man who has caused huge economic and social harm to this country.  Ray was the sole compulsory un- biased witness on that day  If you cannot find that book Steve, I will tell you how to do so by Private Message.