repaint wheels on 24 Dodge Brothers Sedan

The wheels are painted dark blue and the paint is chipping off and looks bad. What is the best way to remove the old paint, sanding, dipping in furniture refinisher, is there a special paint that should be used after they are stripped? Any suggestions and help will be greatly apreciated. <P> dmguder1323@netscape.net

Hi Guder,<BR>During a recent complete restauration of a 1924 DB Touring, I also refinished the wheels. I started out having all the paint stripped in a furniture stripping tank at a pretty steep price. My wheels were wood-spoked wheels with painted metal. All the paint came off very well off on all parts. Subsequently, I sanded and refinished the woodedn spokes with varnish. By the time I had this finished (several months later) the metal parts had already started to turn red from rust, necessatating bead blasting. If I was going to do this again, I would skipped the stripping and go straight to bead blasting/sanding and subsequent painting. The results, the way I did it, was excellent, but added cost and addition cost and additional processing. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Good luck.<BR>Sten

Guest bobostski

If you sand blast the wood, be carefull that it is not to aggressive. I've refinished antiques for many years and found that sand blasting can eat away good wood quickly if you don't know what you are doing. I bought a sand blasting cabinet found it wonderful. You can use differant media in it and clean all types of parts from rusty bolts to shinnig up carburators. What it would cost you to have the wheels blasted you could buy yourself one of these cabinets. I pay $250 for mine. Any ? e-mail me<BR>Bob O. bobostski@webtv.net