D5 Head Tightening Sequence

Hello- <BR>I've got a 37 b. coupe and need to pull the head to replace the gasket. In my service book I cannot find the tightening bolt order or specific pressure to use.<P>I hope it's not "just keep tightening until you feel a pop".<P>Any help would be great.

Guest leadfoot

You definitely don't want to tighten until it "pops". Several years ago Skinned Knuckles published head bolt tightening specs for most American brands starting with the mid 30s. Apparently there weren't published specs for early 30s on back.<P>So for my 23 DB I used the tightening pattern of the 36 Dodge (actually I think it was for all the Mopar sixes) shown in the specs list. It was very logical. Start in the center of the head and alternate nuts in a radial pattern out to each end of the head. Use a fairly low torque setting the first run through. I took four runs through the pattern ending at 65 ft. pounds.

Lead - <P>thanks. my dad actually found the tighening pressure (68 lbs) you're pretty darn close. I also found the order in the original repair manual. <P>Now I just have to take the head off.... or mine...

nowell, i just had the head off my 24 db, make sure you look at the studs real close. mine were eaten about half way through right at the gasket line. probably would not have taken being torqued to 68 ft. lb.