Buick - Turn Signals

dei

I need to confirm if there is an insulating gasket / washer that goes at the top of the steering column where the horn wire comes through.

What I have found is a bit of goo that is not quite right?

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.0067448836e0d4ea193c4aad64dbb97f.JPG

Does anyone have a schematic of the proper setup for a 1958 Buick?

My Chassis Service Manual has nothing.

Doug,

My 36-60 Master Chassis Parts Book does not show a schematic for the 58 but, does show a schematic for a 57. However, I was able to get some part numbers for you.

Section 2.822

part number 1167532....1  Insulator, Horn Contact (flexible wheels)

part number 1167527...1 Contact, Horn Button

part number 1182181...1 Nut, Horn Contact Plate to Horn Operating Ring Adjusting

Section 2.823

part number 1167540...1 Spring, Horn Contact Separator (flexible wheels)

part number 1167528...1 Spacer Horn Contact

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your time looking this up Red Dawn!

I would be interested in seeing that schematic even if it is a '57 as I would think Buick didn't change that column much in one model year (?). 

I think it would confirm what I have apart now and ensure I put it back together correctly since something wasn't quite right giving me a shock when my arm was resting on the door and using the horn.

If you wouldn't mind, could you send me a PM or post it here for others to see?

Thanks again.

Doug

Horn wire exits the column and has a brass contact and fiber insulating washer crimped on the end. Hard to tell but you look to be missing both. When the brass contact is grounded, that provides  a current path for the horn relay pull in coil.  ......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

All the schematic (1957) shows is a tan 18 gauge wire running directly from the brass button to the horn relay through one connector, that would be the single wire connector on the bottom of the outer column jacket. It goes nowhere else. What it doesn't show is the brush type connector on the lower column. There is a very good chance yours has deteriorated to the point of uselessness. It's repairable but the outer jacket has to be removed to do so. If needed now is the time to do it......Bob

• Like 1

It helps a bit Don.

There are some some differences with the adjusting nut on yours versus my non adjusting threaded plate and the upper spring which I don't have but I do see that there is supposed to be insulators under that contact plate on top of the wheel nut isolating the wire coming up the center of the column which I presume is that black mess I have now. 

I need to study it a bit more to know exactly if and what I'm missing.

Thanks. :)

Doug

If I had not taken the column out of the parts car years ago to salvage the turn signal yoke for the other Limited and stashed it up in the small attic of my garage, I would do that but.... will see after family leaves if I can clear a path enough to see what is left of the column. 

The obvious question becomes, what is the sense of having parts when one can't remember or find them! :angry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1