Towing Trailers With '50's Buick's, Who's Done It

MrEarl

Unless you have a way to control the switch pitch you'll be having your foot pretty close to the floor to switch it.  Maybe consider a cable control or something to switch it manually so you don't have to load the engine down so much to get the switch to happen.  Heres what I would do:

HP/Torque to move the trailer and keep it moving: If you keep the 54 trans, the 3.9 gear would be a clear advantage and Low would be more effective. Try simple first then you can swap to the switch pitch later if you choose.  Obviously this is familiar to you so accept that you will be using low and pulling around 40 on long hills just like some of the rest of us did.  Can probably do the math given the Low gear ratio and your axle options and see what RPM the engine is at relative to where it makes the most power.  You know to throw mileage out the window - as soon as you hang something on the hitch accept getting 8-10 mpg for that trip. The 56 trans is the better option because of the additional second stator that raises the torque without having to switch the pitch.  Consider that with a 4bbl carb/manifold to get you the torque/power to move the load and keep the load moving up hills.  If you do the 55/56, recommend wanting to avoid having to put your foot to the floor to switch the pitch.  Typically when towing a long hill my approach is to pick the gear and speed that gets the engine in its power band for max torque and thats my setpoint for that hill, not pushing the engine with the throttle any harder than it had to (i.e.minimum throttle position to take a hill vs shove it to the floor just for more power - I think that stresses the internals)  You'll want to be able to control the torque/rpm "selection" independent of how far your foot is down on the throttle so "selecting" low gear or being able to manually control the switch pitch (perhaps with a simple choke type cable or a solenoid) would be desired.  On my 75 chevelle I knew the RPMs at a given range of mph for second gear - the same can be done with Low or get a tach.

Heat: Add an external trans cooler and a larger engine fan to keep the engine and trans cool.  I like the big 6 blades with a clutch to not rob power but we won't go there  :)  Go with an HD radiator if you don't already have it (3/16 on center rows) or an Aluminum (see Wizard cooling) after some test drives if you want more cooling reserve.  Add a numerical temp gauge.  Make sure the radiator cap is 13 lbs vs 7 just in case it gets real hot.

Weight Control:  Add some airlifts in the back springs to help balance the weight and avoid sagging the car.  Get the tongue weight right (my dad and I always took the tow vehicles/camper/boat combos to the Cat scales on initial setup to measure the weight distribution).  10-15% of the trailer weight rule of thumb but the manufacturer specs should take precedence. 

Braking the additional load:  Having towed campers with both surge and electric brakes my personal preference (and opinions vary widely on this) on a camper is electric, they are more adjustable, can be manually actuated to limit sway if a semi blows by and vacuums you up in its draft, and if you are keeping 4 wheel drum on the Buick you will want the manual control of the brakes just in case.  You can also add a friction sway control if need be, depending on what the camper manufacturer recommends.  Unless the camper will be used beachfront in the water like Bernie showed, then go with the surge brakes as they tend to tolerate water better.

1 vs 2 axles:  My experience is the length from hitch point to axle is what makes backing hard and a short trailer will immediately react to the slightest angle as you back it up, the longer that distance the easier.  I used to spit on the wheel and jacknife the popup in reverse.  The 29 foot Jayco I can park on the blocks first try.  2 axles is more stable on the road - see tongue weight discussion.

My dad and I towed boats up to 25' and campers up to 30' and my dad was a pretty accomplished mechanic.  I also rather enjoy pulling a camper.  We could go cheaper cashing in Marriott points and faster driving there at 70-75 but we enjoy the experience.  Our camper is at a seasonal site near Lake Ontario, and twice a year we take it on a road trip for a week.  Typically we do the state park routes.  In the finger lakes and Adirondacks where we spend our time there are numerous steep hills into and out of the gorges.  Probably not like the midwest but challenging nonetheless.  Point being, having towed with mid 70s cars with 2.41 axle ratios, Chevy Astros with a 3.41 gearsets and a (current) Tahoe with a 3.73, the vehicle setup can give you a wide range of experiences and opinions.  The Tahoe is set up to tow and is a carefree experience pulling a 29 foot camper.  It will hold 55-60 at 4K RPMs up a steep hill and the trans and engine temp gauges will move only 1 division with the AC on, and it is properly balanced and does not sway or sag.  In general, my dad and I would add air lifts to the rear springs (he hated air shocks), an external trans cooler, numerical temp gauge, and the biggest fan with an HD clutch that would fit and I did the same to my early vehicles if they weren't set up for towing.  While the Tahoe is carefree, the other vehicles were somewhat challenging in worst case conditions.  We never overheated, and sure, sometimes with those vehicles we would have to turn off the AC on a hot day on a long hill, or keep the water tanks with only 1-2 gallons in them (for an emergency stop) or would be down to 2nd at 45 mph or on a rare occasion first gear (specifically with the Astro pulling a 24 foot Mallard up that hill to watkins glen campground - but so were most others and that vehicle was probably within a few hundred pounds of its limit fully loaded with people and gear).  All these vehicles gave north of 100K miles service. 

Plan your route, start close to home and get a feel for how it will work.  Some folks enjoy the challenge of towing, others see it as a worry bead.  Stay safe, patient, don't be a nuisance to other drivers, keep the vehicle level.  Consider how you can flow with traffic on an interstate - I tow around 60 ish and get passed alot - doesn't bother me.

Remember to figure in weight of your gear and passengers.  That Shasta weighs only a few pounds more than one of the pop up campers we had (with a slide) and we pulled that with an an older chevy astro packed to the gills.  With the 4 of us and all our junk including kayaks and canoes there was easily 1200 lbs added.  There are no towing guidelines or GVWR ratings for that Buick that I could find, but clearly through photos people towed with these cars. I hear ya on the open road and for some of us its fun.

I'm on board with Bernie and NTX - try it out early close to home.  You have options. Evaluate and adjust so the vehicle is solid.  You're not pulling the Queen Mary and Lindberg made it across the Atlantic with less.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dynaflows:

The 56 tranny is the same length in all series; it is about the same length as 54-55 big series, but longer than 54-55 small series.  The rear mount crossmember may need changed/modified.

Driving my 55 (no trailer) at high altitude and steep grades, it makes no difference whether  using half throttle, full throttle with switch pitch working or in low at WOT...sometimes 25 mph is all you can get out of it.  I have an external trans cooler and have not smoked a trans, but even with 50* outside temps the car is running 210* which I never see running on the road, AC on (95* outside); there is also pinging due to increased cylinder head temperature.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Dynaflows:

The 56 tranny is the same length in all series; it is about the same length as 54-55 big series, but longer than 54-55 small series.  The rear mount crossmember may need changed/modified.

I use to know that, glad someone here still has a memory. Thanks Willie

9 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Driving my 55 (no trailer) at high altitude and steep grades, it makes no difference whether  using half throttle, full throttle with switch pitch working or in low at WOT...sometimes 25 mph is all you can get out of it.  I have an external trans cooler and have not smoked a trans, but even with 50* outside temps the car is running 210* which I never see running on the road, AC on (95* outside); there is also pinging due to increased cylinder head temperature.

25 mph, engine pinging ... seriously :wacko:  Well, between your and Kens last post I guess I am back to leaving Buttercup as the original 13,000 mile car that she is. I seriously had issues with doing all that retro work to her anyway but just so wanted to use her as the tow vehicle. So let's close this thread out with the conclusion that a mid 50's Buick just simply isn't a vehicle to be considered for comfortably towing a 3,500 lb trailer on todays highways.

Thanks again everybody!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Welcome!

I'm heading for lunch over the other side of the muckland.

It is about that time. Guess I'll go fry up some spam.

and Jeeze, don't ya'll have bridge inspectors up there? That wing wall has some serious issues!!! Don't eat too much, you might not make it back across :o

• Haha 1

I have a good friend who this year bought a sort of tent trailer but is an A frame with hard roof and sides and goes up in a minute aided by counter balanced springs.  It is a quality, ( read expensive) product.  He pulls the rig successfully with a ford fusion.  Perhaps a lighter trailer.  If  you and Rita are interested I could find out the manufacturer?  Gary

• Like 1

VW bus?  CA beaches?  Cohabitating at a Shell Station?  'Dips in the lake?  . . . Long hair tucked under your hat?  Chain necklaces?    Sensory overload!

Now, you could build one heck of a trailer-haulin' Buick, if you desired.  Something like a '71 Centurion, warmed-up 455, would already have the THM400, but the rear axle ratio might need some help.  A nice factory yellow for the main body color with a white roof . . . ala "Buttercup II".  Some air shocks on the back and matching HD shocks up front.  A Class III hitch might still be available?  Add the trans cooler.  Long wheelbase, wider track, comfort for all!  Might even use a 74 model ('54+20)?

NTX5467

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Now, you could build one heck of a trailer-haulin' Buick, if you desired.  Something like a '71 Centurion, warmed-up 455, would already have the THM400, but the rear axle ratio might need some help.  A nice factory yellow for the main body color with a white roof . . . ala "Buttercup II".  Some air shocks on the back and matching HD shocks up front.  A Class III hitch might still be available?  Add the trans cooler.  Long wheelbase, wider track, comfort for all!  Might even use a 74 model ('54+20)?

Along those lines, I used to be a towing fool with a 70 Delta 88 with a 455.  Thousands of miles with a 5x8 trailer and the car stuffed to the gills and loaded on top.  I had no problems putting the cruise on 70 with the AC on, and I had no trouble making it up grades at speed.

• Like 3

post-31244-143138045911_thumb.jpgpost-31244-143138045914_thumb.jpgpost-31244-143138045903_thumb.jpgpost-31244-1431380459_thumb.jpg

More suggestions from downunder.

In 2008 a mate and I travelled Perth/Brisbane with truck/trailer and our Buicks. Fun trip, accommodation was our swags tossed in the dirt on the side of the road beside the truck.

Have never been able to talk Delys into travelling like this though.

On our trip we came across this group of T model Ford enthusiasts also crossing the country from west to east. They were very adventurous considering the cars they used but had the luxury roof top campers ( helps to stop locals scrambling, crawling or slithering into your nice warm swag ).

So Lamar, even more choice for your consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From prior posts . . . Look at all of those longgg trailers being pulled with less than 200 horsepower.  Obviously somewhat leisurely?  When kids got geography lessons on each vacation, plus some history if they might choose to look . . . as there was plenty of time to look.  And a few "destination" pictures I'd saved from other places.

NTX5467

BUICK_TRAILER__image.jpeg.25ef090a55dfce41e1d98ad7f012d773.jpg

BUICK_TRAILER__12932952_10207665870059644_1070174249049718901_n.jpg

BUICK_TRAILER__image.jpeg.21274b4ff3b7f349d7c055d5ca11de6b.jpg

BUICK_TRAILER__image.jpeg.c64698532f481febac07a6ca89208351.jpg

tumblr_ncevsaeogj1qkpeqao1_500.jpg

tumblr_nyrypzqxb31rji352o1_500.jpg

• Like 1

That Airstream behind the Buick convertible was a lot more recent picture that the other haulers.

50e5fdcb39c0438785d1310386e22071--airstr

It is not a big one, a Bambi or Bambino. It would say that would be the limit of what could safely be pulled on today's roads. Those other pictures are from a time when driving conditions would have been much safer and less distracted drivers on the road, probably a more forgiving group, as well.

Here is a piece of history relative to those days:

"In 1951, the basic speed limit in NY State was 50 mph, and you were in violation if you exceeded that speed for a distance of greater than 1/4 mile.  In spite of relatively inexpensive gasoline, the 1951 manual states that “high speeds are uneconomical”, and that “high speed increases gas and oil consumption, and shortens the life of the tires”."

Try running 50 MPH on any state two lane highway today. Even 55 or 60 is not enough to satisfy some yahoo on their way home from work. Different world. This period of time will go down in history as The Age of Entitlement. Don't get in the way!

Bernie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good points Bernie. Based on your viewpoints one might also say that "Slow Speed Kills". And I recognize that. I have seen and read of many cases of reckless drivers speeding and possibly using the right lane to overtake slower traffic in there lane and being met with an even slower vehicle in the right lane and either crashing into that vehicle or making other potentially deadly maneuvers in order to avoid collision. So, duly noted, thanks. 

Finally found it in my mess of 50's Buick tech articles and books. This is the 1954 issue. I know there are also '56 and '57 issues and if anyone has those and if there is any substantial updates that might be interest here, please consider scanning and posting.

Image (6).jpgImage.jpgImage (2).jpgImage (3).jpgImage (4).jpgImage (5).jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great find Lamar, thanks for posting. Interesting reading.  Didn't know electric trailer brakes were avail in 54 (as implied in srticlr if I tread it right).   Kinda skeptical on those dynaflow claims.  For estimating purposes, if a tongue weight of 12% - 15% of the weight of the trailer is assumed that 500 lbs max axle weight translates to about 3300 - 4100 lbs fully loaded trailer weight towing capability.  Have you found anything directly indicating the max trailer weight rating for the vehicle?  

Agree with Bernie on the towing speed on today's highways - much larger and faster equipment out there today and not everyone  driving large trailers is considerate of their wind draft when rapidly overtaking a smaller, slower tow vehicle.

When my car first got pulled from the shed it had those rubber air lifts in the springs.  My grandfather constantly hauled heavy equipment and tools in the trunk and the Air Lifts prevented the car from bottoming out on the mining roads.  I pulled them out as they were pretty dry rotted and replaced with new ones until new springs were put in years later.  Never knew they were a dealer option.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2017 at 9:28 AM, Lars Westerberg said:

It is possible in Sweden:)

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

I remember as a kid we vacationed in Yosemite National park in our 1948 Fleetline Chevrolet pulling a similar trailer. All 6 cylinders, four people, and tough climbs but we made it. Buicks are far tougher cars so why worry?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That is a nice row of nominally 6 liter RWD 4,000 pound cars with fairly light trailers, in Sweden. And, in Sweden, who do they share the road with?. US highways are populated by V8trucks and SUV's, secondary two lane roads included. I live within 10 miles of Interstate 90, a toll road. In the 10 miles between are 2 parallel roads with heavy, high speed, commercial truck traffic avoiding the tolls, and 1 mile to the north a third. All have grade crossings and the intersections I choose to avoid frequently have accidents.

How long would you wait in Sweden for a car greater than 3.0 liters to go by? Driving a car 55-60 MPH is "slow lane" stuff. I run my cars at 60-65. The speed minder on my Electra is set above 80.

Drivers SEE and old car and speed to get past thinking it is slower. That's a fact, no matter how fast you are going. To hook a trailer behind is not something I would do with an old car. There are drivers out there who are completely inconsiderate and aggressive. There are also some so considerate they will stop in their flowing lane of traffic to let someone out of a driveway and think they are being "nice".

Interesting comment on that '48 OHV 216 cubic inch Chevy. There was a Buick Enclave pictured with a trailer a few posts ago. Like to guess what 3.6 liters converts to? And a 2WD Enclave weighs 4500 pounds, AWD is 5,000.

Driving is much more dangerous than those days in the 1950's. The US is not the place to play. Europe, maybe.

I do know that fatal incidents after the reproductive years of your life have no affect on any of Darwin's theories.

Bernie

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

Stop the hand bringing and just do it.  Sheesh!

There will be enough occasions for failure and proving all the naysayers here right without my going out half cocked. I'm just like an old computer and printer I guess, slow at processing information and even slower at implementing. 

In other words, never arriving, always just getting there. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Lamar, install the hitch. Hook on to the car hauling trailer you have. Go for a drive. 

See you in Denver.  WITH our trailers.

Ben

Thanks for your support Ben. I had practically given up on the notion of pulling with the '54 but now am considering using it for shorter and flatter country trips and an suv for long hauls and mountains. 

I think swapping out the rear end to the 3.9 which I already have , rebuilding and installing the '56 Carter, again which I already have and having a good rear spring booster set up installed would handle the trailer we are now considering. I think I've bout got the trailer hitch figured out but the brakes are still an issue. Not real happy with the power brakes on the Roadmaster either, hell, they drew criticism from Ralph Nadir back when.  

But Denver? , never happen. I've got one more round of pulling and selling parts that will hopefully give me enough bucks to finish the garage in say 8-10 months (remember I'm a one man crew)  and then and only then can I start on getting Buttercup put back together and set up for towing. So, see you in Oklahoma! :)

Getting there.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buick5563 said:

Another very important difference that I noticed between European and American drivers is that Europeans know what lane you are supposed to DRIVE in and which lane you are supposed to PASS in.

Driving with patience, civility and courtesy is rare to see.

Very true Mike. I've always wished they would implement a law that required drivers to turn on their turn signal before passing, leaving it on while in the passing lane and NOT  turn it off until AFTER returning to the travel lane. Yea thought a Texan would get a laugh out of that. 

Y'all have some crazy passing scenarios in Texas for sure. I'll never forget learning why  your farm to market roads are so wide. A pickup full of cowboy's all brandishing the middle finger taught me though! that when you see a vehicle pull up behind a slow moving trailer of goats in Texas, you better pull yo ass over to the right and give them full and wide birth.  :wacko::o:lol: and being it was Texas I'm sure the finger wasn't all they were brandishing? 

Honestly though, I hope be able to give sufficient time to trips and PLAN trips that require as little time on "super" highways as possible. Easier said than done I am sure, just need to consider the planning as part of the fun. 

• Like 2

There is such a wealth of practical experience in your thread Lamar! Much of the items in that Buick brochure are basic prep for towing and short of swapping the transmission you should be able to stay under 3500 lbs loaded trailer if there are only two of you travelling and you leave the 30 packs of beer and cigars home.  Put 2 gallons of water in it for emergency pit stops and try it out close to home for long weekends. Then go cross country with the Tahoe or something else to scout the route.

The Air Lifts, hitch, electric brakes, fan, towing mirrors and external tranny cooler are all easily removable to put the car back to stock.  Axle ratio a bonus.

Take the highway hooligan inputs to heart from those of us that have towed and still tow campers around 60.  Stay aware of your surroundings, practice your cussing, pull over and let others pass, it will be fine.

Now if you'relike the rest of us RV'ers and the bug bites and you try to hitch a fifth wheel into the trunk of the car we will be at your door with torches and pitchforks :)

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

In other words, never arriving, always just getting there.

117 posts and I had not seen Infiniti mentioned.

2015-Infiniti-Q70_06-751x501.jpg

That could be a great song in the Kingston Trio style. "He will ride forever on the border of Georgia, he's the man who never returned."

His Wife runs along side and hands him a sandwich on the long uphill draw just north of Savannah.

Showing my age....

Just thinkin', that's the old MTA song. Maybe the new one could be the Man with Trailer Algorithm .

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KAD36 said:

There is such a wealth of practical experience in your thread Lamar! Much of the items in that Buick brochure are basic prep for towing and short of swapping the transmission you should be able to stay under 3500 lbs loaded trailer if there are only two of you travelling and you leave the 30 packs of beer and cigars home.  Put 2 gallons of water in it for emergency pit stops and try it out close to home for long weekends. Then go cross country with the Tahoe or something else to scout the route.

The Air Lifts, hitch, electric brakes, fan, towing mirrors and external tranny cooler are all easily removable to put the car back to stock.  Axle ratio a bonus.

Take the highway hooligan inputs to heart from those of us that have towed and still tow campers around 60.  Stay aware of your surroundings, practice your cussing, pull over and let others pass, it will be fine.

Now if you'relike the rest of us RV'ers and the bug bites and you try to hitch a fifth wheel into the trunk of the car we will be at your door with torches and pitchforks :)

Good thoughts, thanks Ken! Cooling...I forgot, I also already have the 6 (or is it 5) blade fan mentioned in the above brochure also. I will be upgrading to a higher capacity radiator and consider using a '56 type with the transmission oil cooler in it. I also have a '56 timing chain cover and improved flow water pump in my stash.   I am sure I can get lots of pointers from here on the extremely important external tranny cooler at some point.

Lots to be considered and at some point I will be making a comprehensive list of to do's. I have plenty of time, just wanted to be researching and getting everybody's thoughts on what equipment might be worth considering or not, etc.

2 hours ago, KAD36 said:

if there are only two of you travelling and you leave the 30 packs of beer and cigars home.

against animal mechanic Willies advice, there will be three, don't forget Elvis the hound. (Or if absolutely necessary, I guess Rita could stay  home) No beer, should be able to get that on the road. Cigars? only a pound or so a box, no problem there. Spare parts, now that is another story. Coming in a later chapter.