Towing Trailers With '50's Buick's, Who's Done It

MrEarl

Considering the purchase of a camper trailer to be pulled behind a '54 Roadmaster w/Dynaflow. Trailer has 3500 # axles, actual dry weight of trailer is 2,300 lbs but would expect loaded could hit ~ 3000. Trailer has electric brakes so that will be something to figure out also. 

Would be used for cross country trips. I.e. wherever a BCA National might be, so yea may be crossing the Smokies and the Rockies. 

Just wondering if anyone here has actual experience in doing this. Other viewpoints welcome also. 

Concerning  trailer brakes, do they still offer the brake master located in the tongue of the trailer where when brakes on the car are applied the dip action of the trailer tongue actuates the trailer brakes?   I ask as this my alleviate the worry of figuring out electric brakes.     

26 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Concerning  trailer brakes, do they still offer the brake master located in the tongue of the trailer where when brakes on the car are applied the dip action of the trailer tongue actuates the trailer brakes?   I ask as this my alleviate the worry of figuring out electric brakes.     

Yes. Uhaul uses these and i think they work nicely.   I had a brake control on my 52 international that ran a line to a t-block and fluid pressure actuated it.

32 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

One can sleep in a lot of hotel rooms for the cost of a trailer-hitch-wear&tear-and extra fuel consumption.  And some one else cleans up after your done. 

Motel 6?

Forget the idea of cross country towing.  To make it safe enough to tow at 55 mph:  electric trailer brakes on all axles; receiver hitch custom made going over the axle since the rear frames on these Buicks are extremely weak; load equalizing hitch on the trailer with sway control; replace the panhard bar with a solid one since the existing tubular one will bend and break if stressed; transmission cooler and gauge to monitor fluid temperature; heavier sway bar in front and a custom made one for the rear.  Mountains? you're joking?  Even without a trailer that Roadmaster will go over the mountains like a goat....a 3-legged asthmatic goat!

Make short local trips to show off the 'cute factor' only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Yes. Uhaul uses these and i think they work nicely.   I had a brake control on my 52 international that ran a line to a t-block and fluid pressure actuated it.

Yes!  Exactly.  Eliminate the need to wire electric.   I think this would be my first consideration running a 50 era Buick with generator.   

Next would be cooling the beastie.  Radiator and transmission.  Separate cooler for the transmission is something I would look to do.    

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Motel 6?

Forget the idea of cross country towing.  To make it safe enough to tow at 55 mph:  electric trailer brakes on all axles; receiver hitch custom made going over the axle since the rear frames on these Buicks are extremely weak; load equalizing hitch on the trailer with sway control; replace the panhard bar with a solid one since the existing tubular one will bend and break if stressed; transmission cooler and gauge to monitor fluid temperature; heavier sway bar in front and a custom made one for the rear.  Mountains? you're joking?  Even without a trailer that Roadmaster will go over the mountains like a goat....a 3-legged asthmatic goat!

LOL you are hillarious !....I can attest to pulling a grade with just my butt in the car.   My 54 struggled a grade to the point of having to almost drop to 1st gear.  She survived the grade in 2nd gear.  No trailer in tow. If I had trailer on forget it.   Now one might say the 264 has less hp than the 322 and that is true but the 264 is not lugging hundreds of pounds additional body parts/nuts/bolts as found on the bigger Buicks.  Not to mention by 3 legged goat has a 3 speed manual. :)     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I mounted a class 3 hitch on my Special with the thinking of towing a Bambi type trailer someday also but.... even with new brakes, wheel cylinders and drums, questioning long hauling. :unsure:

Not saying it can't be done but would most likely be a back road journey versus a highway adventure.

I have a car trailer which I use to haul my Overland and Whippet that has the tongue actuator brake setup and it works well but.... Hauling it with my F-150 isn't my '58 Buick.

It does however work all four wheels.

597246b477c3e_Sept42011-pic13.thumb.JPG.6acb66d247a193be94ad1318f065a71b.JPG

Now, mountains?

I live in a flat land region of Ontario Canada (have been out West) and don't think my GPS would be able to find enough flat land to get to the Pacific. :lol: 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Motel 6?

Oh I don't know. Lucy and Desi had no problems pulling the "Long Long Trailer" through the Sierra Nevada's with a 53 Merc flat head. :).............Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lamar, these guys have NO confidence in their BUICKS!:rolleyes:.     I once pulled a 33 ft House trailer, not an RV, with a ,52  ,gasp, Studebaaker.       The electric brakes are no problem. If one is unfamiliar with them, might be comforting to have an RV shop install the controller.  

Willie, where in the world did your sense of adventure go.  Be cheaper to drive a newer car to the Nationals, too.  But ANY BODY can do that.

Seriously, I would not hesitate, Lamar. Just be ready to slow down if needed on the long pulls.  If needed, 4-ways and Low. And don't worry about following traffic. That is what passing lanes are for..

Isn't there a member who pulls a trailer with one '70s Buick hauling another?  Total weight probably 7000lb plus.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2

After reading Ben's post, have to agree with him and apologise if it sounded like against the idea. 

I actually experienced some guys telling me that I would not be able to run my '52 Ford truck with the 6V flat head motor and be happy with it. I asked them just how did they do it when the truck was new? and they had no real answer so, going along with Ben and say go for it! 

None of this really answers your original question as to what has been the experience of those that have done this so will leave any further comments till reading the responses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Till she filled it up with her rock collection :-)

There was one scene where the Merc just could not pull a grade and a 53 Lincoln was substituted for that scene...........Bob

• Like 1

The advantage to a trailer in terms of lodging is obvious. Maybe one could have the unit transported over the big mountains out west? The rest of the space inbetween is relatively flat.  

• Thanks 1

I would look into disc brakes on the front. Now I know, I know,  I've been down this road before. But considering hauling a trailer at 60mph down a steep incline in narrow highways, brake fade will be a serious problem to look out for. I agree with everyone else about external transmission cooler and more cooling potential for the engine. 

• Thanks 1

It's not like trailers were invented in 1960. ;)  My dad used to haul a trailer behind his Buicks all over the eastern US back in the 50s.  He clearly got where he was going.

Now, if you're expecting to motor over the mountains at 70mph, you've got the wrong rig.  But then, most new cars won't do that, either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Oh I don't know. Lucy and Desi had no problems pulling the "Long Long Trailer" through the Sierra Nevada's with a 53 Merc flat head. :).............Bob

No problems?  Lucy did what she could to keep the dishes from falling from the cupboard.  Then that narrow section of the road.  AND that line of cars when their new Mercury labored on the long grades!  Another one of those "fine messes" they got into!  

I strongly concur with Old-Tank's comments.  Especially the frame issues!  ALSO, the rear axle ratio needs to be where the peak torque rpm is the cruising rpm on the level roadway in "high" gear.  "Gearing it" for Kansas or Western TX will not get you over the Rockies and some of those long uphill grades!  Even with that little "huffer" you've got hidden in the garage!

As for trailer brakes, the "surge" brakes were popular for many years on livestock trailers, but I seem to recall they are now illegal in certain states?  It takes that movement of the tongue to activate them.  That dictates a certain level of deceleration before they do anything!  When "surge" brakes were popular (1960s),  electric trailer brake modulation was in the "Cadillac" area of trailers, but needed for "house trailers".  The electric trailer brakes we have now are far more sophisticated than even the most costly ones back then.

It's not that the car might not "pull" it, but what happens later on!  With the 70mph speed limits we now have, even 75mph+, any older car, or newer vehicle running 55mph in the rh lane WILL cause traffic disruptions for approaching vehicles!  It might look neat, but that's all!  Looking neat can be a traffic hazard for other drivers!

DRIVE the car, enjoy the clean sheets each night, the free breakfast in the morning, and pay the hotel bill gladly.  Plus the pile of complimentary bathroom amenities you'll have at the end!   

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I towed a lot with my 53 Special on the prairies and on grades up to 8% in the rockies. Never needed first except for starting.  Managed 50 mph in second on 8%.  Drove it like I was taught to drive a truck in mountains or hills.  Whatever gear you go up in is the gear you go down in.  Flat towed a Studebaker President and a Packard and various and sundry 20's and 30's cars on a tandem trailer.  No problem going or stopping.  After many trips I found that I had pulled the ends of the frame inwards.  Should have run the hitch  forward to the wheel arch or had the cross bar of the hitch heavier where it fastened to the rear cross member.

I used to do lots of "adventurous" stuff when I was younger. Today, standing by the side of the road waiting for assistance has no place in my life. Buy a Tahoe.

These days, I find myself sitting on the edge of the bed at night, taking off my shoes and socks. I sometimes think to myself "Was I too cautious today?" The answer is always "Nope" and, with a big smile, I go to sleep peacefully.

I have also found my Wife's Tahoe great for moving cars and tractors around the yard if they aren't running or the wheels don't turn.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

"Gearing it" for Kansas or Western TX will not get you over the Rockies and some of those long uphill grades! 

Install some 3.9 gears from a standard tranny car, but good luck finding a speedo gear to match.  Try a roadtrip without the trailer first.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I used to do lots of "adventurous" stuff when I was younger. Today, standing by the side of the road waiting for assistance has no place in my life.

As we age our priorities can become modified from prior times in or lives.  It used to be that almost all 1/2-ton rated pickups had less than 100 net horsepower, but they still managed to tow stock trailers with livestock in them to market. ( If something more was needed, then it was a 3/4-ton rated pickup.  If it was a 1-ton rated truck, it was "purpose specific", usually.)  Or a bed full of watermelons out of a sandy field (with the NP 4-speed transmission).  But those were "slower" times back then, especially as most roads were 55mph (max) 2-lane affairs.  There was enough tolerance of those vehicles on the slower-speed highways they were normally on, but put one on a major US highway with a higher speed limit, and many fists might be shaken at them.  And many luxury cars were used to tow horse trailers (2-horse horse trailers) as they were heavier cars and had larger brakes and "more" guts than normal "blue collar" brands usually did (unless specifically upfitted for towing, option-wise).  

But we're in a different world now.  Many speed limits are now 70mph or over.  Roads might be improved and wider, but with more traffic density in many locations.  Try to drive slow and deliberately, and that "safety gap" you had will be filled with a smaller car driven by a driver who thinks you can stop as quickly as THEY can . . . even if you might be in an 18-wheeler.

We've seen pictures of Buicks towing trailers, even 1940s Roadmasters with 6000lb trailers hooked to a car with occupants on vacation.  Obviously it could be done, back then, and probably now, too.  There was a beautiful '57 Caballero in Flint in 2003 with a medium-sized trailer attached, from "out west".  So it can be done.  Picking the route carefully might be more necessary now than in prior times?  Just remember the operational environment that any potential tow vehicle was designed in and appreciate that fact!  That'll tell you about various performance criteria used in the designs.  Just be cognizant of these things and any "help" needed with additional equipment!

In TX, the majority of serious trailer-pullers now use things like HD2500 pickups or Suburbans wit appropriate trailer package equipment.  It was a shock to see people using cars and station wagons to still tow car trailers in OH in the later 1980s!  The normal 1/2-ton rated pickup is about twice the weight of what we had in 1955, but many still prefer the HD2500s for their heavier chassis and brake sizing.  But everybody has their own comfort level on these things.

"Adventures" bring "war stories" and "wisdom".  Hopefully in a "continuous improvement" orientation!  And they live to tell about it for many years!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, MrEarl said:

Considering the purchase of a camper trailer to be pulled behind a '54 Roadmaster w/Dynaflow. Trailer has 3500 # axles, actual dry weight of trailer is 2,300 lbs but would expect loaded could hit ~ 3000. Trailer has electric brakes so that will be something to figure out also. 

Would be used for cross country trips. I.e. wherever a BCA National might be, so yea may be crossing the Smokies and the Rockies. 

Just wondering if anyone here has actual experience in doing this. Other viewpoints welcome also. 

Haven't had experience towing a modern caravan/trailer behind a 40's or 50's car but did travel from Seattle to Flint in 2003 co-driving a 1948 Buick pulling a small 1960's era pop-up camper trailer. I was lucky enough to be able to join a group of BCA members driving from Seattle to Flint for the 100 year celebration of Buick. The small camper trailer was a breeze to tow and had no adverse effects on the 48 Buick.

img-170723100401-001.thumb.jpg.ac7e6326b0d8510c378cf1568f7e5c8a.jpg

Of more interest though was on the same trip a 1957 Century Caballero towed a large airstream caravan, seemingly effortlessly from Seattle to Flint and return. I have no idea what the weight of the Airstream would be but in all likelihood heavier than what you are considering.

img-170723100142-001.thumb.jpg.fa2a34037c6b4343bd77346e383db42c.jpg

The other thing is we all had a sense of adventure on that trip but I have just realised it was 14 years ago!! 

As for towing caravans across country, well we do it in Australia but to a large extent that is because of a shortage of accommodation away from major cities. You don't have that problem in the US and as others have said you can get a lot of motel rooms for the cost of a caravan and additional fuel you will no doubt use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3