I just purchased this 1925 Buick Standard Six Four Passenger Coupe from an estate.It was restored in the '80's and hasn't run for 25 years,so getting it going may be interesting.I posted a question in the forum "Technical" section last night regarding correct running board matting and moldings,and received a quick response.Thank you.

This car was supposedly purchased new by a doctor,who requested that no right front seat be supplied.There is no trace on the original floor boards of there ever having been a RF seat.Has anyone here ever heard of a "seat delete" option ? How would one find out how many of these Model 25-6-28 coupes have survived?

I'm new to this forum but not the hobby,having owned old cars for over 55 years. This car will share the garage with a 1921 Chevrolet roadster pickup,a big 1929 McLaughlin-Buick Close-Coupled sedan (2941),a nice original 1940 Packard 110 coupe,and several 1970's vintage GMs.

I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you fellows with the same affliction that I have.

Jim

Jim Graham Estate 003.JPG

Jim Graham Estate 005.JPG

Jim Graham Estate 007.JPG

• Thanks 1

JH,

A very nice find indeed.  To determine how many still exist, you may need to get the various directories from the BCA, AACA, etc. and count them.  I see only one listed in the BCA directory from Indiana, but the BCA roster has recently been questioned for accuracy.  The HCCA only lists pre-1916 cars, so it is no help.  I do not have an AACA directory, so maybe others could check for you.

Congratulations and you've come to the right place!  These guys are first rate and very knowledgeable!  I bought my first Buick November (2016) and this forum has been the best help throughout the restoration!  Many safe miles to you!

Nice. 

My McLaughlin-Buick 29-51 is presently being worked on...similar to yours but 8" longer wheelbase. 

Definitely an affliction...counting parts cars, I think I'm at 19 Buicks now. Just dealt with the registration today of the latest acquisition and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon. 

51 minutes ago, Thriller said:

Nice. 

My McLaughlin-Buick 29-51 is presently being worked on...similar to yours but 8" longer wheelbase. 

Definitely an affliction...counting parts cars, I think I'm at 19 Buicks now. Just dealt with the registration today of the latest acquisition and will pick it up tomorrow afternoon. 

I assume your 29-51 is the one listed in the Silver Anniversary Buick Club roster. I'd like to see some photos of it sometime.These are the only '29 McLaughlin-Buick close- coupled that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty sure Lind Coop has one. There are seven 29-51 and three 29-41 listed in the BCA roster. 

I rhink there may may be some photos in the Me And My Buick forum. I will have to take a look later. 

Pete, our 1920 K-46 Coupe has the small seat that swings out for the right front passenger to sit on and face the back seat passengers(s).  It is attached to the front of the right door column and swings under the dash when not used.  Our 1922 Model 48

has a 'Pullman' type of folding seat that folds up beneath the dash when not in use and very much aids in entry and getting out of the rear seat area for passengers.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Got the 1925 Buick home today.Had to let most of the air out of the rear tires and have a guy stand on the back of it to get it in the trailer (and out).With a fresh battery,it turns over freely,and even the lights and horn work.I'm very pleasantly surprised after it sat for 25 years.We'll clean out the fuel system and should be driving it soon.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's a story behind that,Rod.I had  a friend in Kooma,NSW with whom I exchanged parts for our 1925 Oldsmobiles.He sent me a magazine commemorating a big vintage car rally there.The local transportation ministry sponsored a full page ad,showing most of Australia's road signs,including the Kangaroo crossing sign.I advised my friend that I just had to have one of those ! He discovered that a nearby 3M plant made the mactac sign,which was then attached to a metal back with a vacuum sealing process.He sent me the mactac in a mailing tube.A body shop made the metal back,complete with rolled edges,and another friend worked at a nearby public utilities garage that had a vacuum mounting machine.Voila ! It may be the only roo crossing sign in Canada,mate.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My brother has the 25 coupe in Indiana listed in the BCA directory.  We are in the process of trying to get it back on the road.  When I spoke to him about your question of how many back on the road he stated he only knew of 1 other one in California but not sure if it is still there or not.  I hope we can get the one he owns to look as great as yours does.

Stale 25 year old fuel for starters.The fuel system is now cleaned out,except the carb,which I hope I won't have to touch. Timing seems to be the current issue.I've managed a couple of backfires through the carb, but that's it.I found a step by step formula for checking and setting timing on this forum,but I'll wait for my mechanic to get back from holidays next week. 

Jim,

Your car sure does look great.  I would be surprised if you don't need to go thru the carburetor.  The air valve is probably not closing all the way and you will likely need to smooth file on the venture block to flatten it again. (pot metal expansion).  There are several right ups on Marvel carbs on the forum.   Several places have Nitrophil floats too.   Hugh 

You're probably right Hugh. It doesn't look bad in the float bowl but should be cleaned out.I haven't heard about Nitrophil floats before.I could use one of those on my '29 McLaughlin-Buick .Seems the ethanol ate the varnish off the cork float over the winter, causing it to saturate with fuel and stay on the bottom of the bowl. A nearby Hudson collector supplied me with another cork float.

Jim

• 4 months later...

I don't recall when alcohol was mandated in gas but if there is some of this mixture in the tank, there's a high probability of tank rust. If there's rust it will find its way to the carburetor.  My 37 Buick sat for years with this alcohol gas in the tank and necessitated cutting the tank in half, sand blasting, and coating. There was enough rust in the tank to fill two small milk containers.

Beyond that I love your new car.

Since this original post, I have the car pretty well sorted out.The entire fuel system was cleaned out and the tank sealed with ethanol-proof sealer.It pays to read the manual if you are having issues.It wouldn't start after getting everything sorted (I thought).I assumed (assume- makes an ass out of "u" and me) that the firing order would be 1-5-3-6-2-4 but it's 1-4-2-6-3-5.A quick switch of the plug wires and it fired right up. Considerable detailing was done to make it more period correct.A right front seat has been fabricated to replace the missing one.It runs strong,but will now have to wait for spring to really stretch it's legs.Special thanks again to all those on this forum that helped with info.

Jim

1925 Buick ready to show ! 001.JPG

1925 Buick RF seat.JPG

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

J.H.,

Have you got a nice top hat for the compartment in the rear? Then you´ll be all set.

You´re probably closer to an Opera House than I am.

J.B.

I've considered a top hat for a prop,but haven't found one 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 sized. I do have a doctor's bag and stethoscope as it was originally a doctor's car.

Jim

Jim, could you do some of us guys on here a favor?  Could you please take a photo or two of the floorboard heater grille for us?  My 1922 Model 48 Coupe has a factory authorized, Perfection Exhaust Heater in it (and it works quite well I'll have you know) but, what we can barely see in the one photo is the shape of the grille.  Mine is flat and about 9 X 13 inches.  I am just curious as to what you have in your car.  Thank you in advance

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi Terry

The Perfection heater was original to this car also,but was not installed when the car was restored.We found the heater with boxes of parts that came with another car from the same estate. The control in front of the driver's seat was still there.I restored the grill and installed it,but the "element" isn't in place.I don't have the valve or the plumbing for it.I understand that these cars had dual tail pipes ,one being the heater exit.Attached are photos of the control,the grill,and the heater element.

Jim

1925 Buick hearter parts 007.JPG

1925 Buick hearter parts 008.JPG

1925 Buick hearter parts 011.JPG

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Welcome, KWalker ! By all means start your own topic. You can get all the help you need from the great Buick guys here. They are extremely active and generous of their time. In order to have a meaningful dialog here, please take the time to post a great many high quality pictures. This will take several postings, as we are limited to just under 10mb per posting. Also a good introduction as to your abilities, skills, and expectations will be valuable to ongoing progress. Good to have you with us in AACA.    -    Carl 

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 6:29 PM, jeff_a said:

J.H.,

Have you got a nice top hat for the compartment in the rear? Then you´ll be all set.

You´re probably closer to an Opera House than I am.

J.B.

We now display the car with top hat, silver tipped cane, and kid gloves. Also recently added a flip top dog-bone rad cap and an accessory front bumper will be ready soon.

Puttin' on the Ritz 001.JPG

Trunks and T-bone rad cap 004.JPG

• Like 5

That's a really nice detail with the top hat. I heard about someone with an Opera Coupe a few years ago who was convinced the top hat compartment was a bin for ice & champagne, so he found a square plastic trash bin that fit in there for a liner and drove around with ice and a bottle of bubbly. Maybe a few people carried booze in those during Prohibition...but my grandpa woulda had a gallon of grain alcohol.  

5 hours ago, jeff_a said:

That's a really nice detail with the top hat. I heard about someone with an Opera Coupe a few years ago who was convinced the top hat compartment was a bin for ice & champagne, so he found a square plastic trash bin that fit in there for a liner and drove around with ice and a bottle of bubbly. Maybe a few people carried booze in those during Prohibition...but my grandpa woulda had a gallon of grain alcohol.  

I once had a '29 Reo Flying Cloud opera coupe. The hat box had a false bottom,presumably for prohibition "bubbly" !

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

I must be a philistine because I think it would look far better with black tires. The white pin stripes and those beautiful wheels disappear in a blaze of white tire.

It is a beautiful car, very stylish.

If the day comes when I need to replace the tires, they will be black walls. I'm not keen on the whites either, but they were on it when I bought it.

Jim

56 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

If the day comes when I need to replace the tires, they will be black walls. I'm not keen on the whites either, but they were on it when I bought it.

Jim

Very good! Then I suppose the answer is to wear those ones out. That will be fun.:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1